U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:54 PM

5,835 posts, read 4,046,651 times

Advertisements

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner Double H! Forgot about this post but thank you for the head's up on Goldmines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 PM

16,507 posts, read 20,904,171 times
My pleasure. If you do get the book probably the best place to start is Market Trends. It gives a general overview of the hobby, how E-bay affects sales figures, what's hot in collecting right now, etc.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:59 AM

451 posts, read 1,120,909 times
Just seen this post, I have been a digger for about 5 years. I won't say I'm a collector becuase I'm looking for drum breaks and grooves to fill my sampler. But I look for soul, fusion, prog, and other forms of rock. Being in the navy I get to hit a bunch of overseas ports and thats usually on my list of things to do. I hit up the record stores in search of some grooves to turn into new music. Its turning into a expensive hobby. I started off as a guy in the dollar bins, but as your ears expand your more in search of rare soundtracks, and other music that you can't find online.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:59 AM

Good post! Traveling overseas and buying vinyl? YESSSSSS!! Lots of collectors love import pressings, espcially from Japan and Germany. IMHO, Japanese pressings are almost as good, maybe as good, as the Superdiscs and Half Speed Masters from the states that were pressed in the 70's and 80's.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:07 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,132,419 times
I ask for your help vinyl lovers to save a little piece of history...

Achub Spillers Records..... Save Spillers Records Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

Save Spillers record store, Spillers Records, 36 The Hayes, Cardiff, south Wales

Last edited by LINCOLNSHIRE; 01-09-2008 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-09-2008, 07:11 AM

11,943 posts, read 17,443,711 times
Done. That is a shame. Best of luck.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 PM

I've given away my age just by some of the posts I've put on this board. It is just maddening to see a great hobby being threatened by big box retailers, greedmonger commercial real estate moguls, and the flippant attitude by some of the big labels. The first records I bought were at Bon records in Colorado Springs. I was nine at the time. Elvis just charted "It's Now Or Never" which was the first record I bought, for 39 cents plus tax. That's what 45's cost then. Albums at that time carried a $2.98 list price for mono, and $3.98 for stereo. Probably half of recorded music was sold in stores like Sears, Montgomery Wards, Penney's, Kress, Woolworths, and other related department stores. Mom and Pop record stores were involved in the other half. And they were promotors in the true sense of the word. Long before the days of Ticketmaster, Datatix, and other related agencies they would sell tickets to concerts out of their shops. Fast forward to 1970. Lots of mom and pop music stores were dealing in used product. For the most part, a used album was $1.50, same for a used 8-track. Right around 1973 or 1974 used shops were pricing albums up and the hobby was recognizing this. Small shops thrived until the early 80's as a new format was introduced. A few stores shut down right there on the spot; they might have been smart. A couple shop owners told me that stocking back catalogue would be silly bcause this new format, the Compact Disc, carried a $17.98 list and at best they could buy them at the one-stops for $12.50 to $13.00 a pop. And to stock hundreds, no, thousands of titles. Do the math. Unless you had very deep pockets, you either got involved in used product or you were done-period. But hey- we can all buy our music from the supermarket entertainment behemoths. They have a phrase that was passed down to them from your basic classic rock radio 100 song playlist theory. "If we don't have it, you don't need it". Shop owners would get to know their clientele, recognize what their taste would be music wise, and steer them onto new music of your own personal taste. That's how I got to be a progressive fan; storeowners would take an interest in what I liked, and went out of their way to keep your interest up, as well as keeping your business. Buying online is fine, I do that too, but tomorrows music buyers are missing out on stores such as the one that Lincolnshire has on his post. Rock on.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 11,937 times
my grandmother passed on all her elvis record to me.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:45 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,377,886 times
Not really a record collector, but I have still about 3 or 4 tupperwares full of LP's. I played everyone of them. Until a little flood made me throw some covers away, I
find it hard to get rid of them. Some I did get to "collect" or add to a certain singer/band. I don't have my turntable hooked up either. I do have some that are
possibly collectors Items, but not sure how much I'd get if I were to sell them.
I have one of the original Lynard Skynard lp's with the fire behind them. (now I see
they are re-releasing cd's like that) Only thing is, it's not in perfect condition. I did
however put it in one of those LP frames. I loved LP's...

Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,626 times
I am looking for record collectors, I have a lot of soul, disco type, if anyone interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques