U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:28 PM

5,982 posts, read 11,138,115 times

Advertisements

I obviously don't collect a hobby of mine.....wandering through cemeteries. I love reading the old headstones and looking at entire families and wondering what happened, looking at the names. There's a cemetery in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, that is just cool - everyone decorates the graves. There's even a supposed Indian princess buried there and people leave rocks and feathers and beads and stuff. It creeps some people out - fortunately, my best friend and my spouse think it's neat, too, so we interrupt whole vacations to hit the cemetery....okay, weird...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,940,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
I forget what book it was in, that I was reading a young girl, collected miniature tear bottles.

At one point in time, they were perfume bottles. old old old bottles. and so tiny, as in, from bottom to top, perhaps as tall as a fingernail?

These were, obviously out of perfume, but still smelling good. She used them for her memories. Crying can do a world of good - but after awhile, it's time to move on, to preserve the memory she would cry, and be sure to capture as many tears into one of the "tear bottles" as possible, before sealing it up, and storing it away, in preservation of whatever memory she was dedicating it to. As you can imagine, it would have to go along the lines of one of the most bizarre things to collect, among reasons to collect them! But quite a collection it would be.

I myself, have been lucky to inherit from my grandmother, two or 3 such bottles that could be used for the same purpose. althought I have never tried it... not a day passes my mind, that I don't wonder whether it's a clever idea? or the tiniest bit crazy . . . .

I maybe wrong but this sounds Asian! They call your tears pearls and they should never be allowed to drop to the ground... all tears shed are worth that memory to move forward from.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:37 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,940,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I obviously don't collect a hobby of mine.....wandering through cemeteries. I love reading the old headstones and looking at entire families and wondering what happened, looking at the names. There's a cemetery in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, that is just cool - everyone decorates the graves. There's even a supposed Indian princess buried there and people leave rocks and feathers and beads and stuff. It creeps some people out - fortunately, my best friend and my spouse think it's neat, too, so we interrupt whole vacations to hit the cemetery....okay, weird...
I use to do this all the time......... I use to take crayons and paper and do stone rubs ..to see who the person was .........we have an old cemetery by us very old mostly small children in it ......

There is one a family one near my house now back in the middle of nowhere .. that would be neat to do .

Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 AM

430 posts, read 865,855 times
Silly and stange to call this a "hobby" but I love to paint...not on canvas....rooms...I find painting to be very relaxing and rewarding....the Mr. doesn't mind it either, although he finds the constant changing of colors a bit unnerving at times!! (thank God the man is color blind with some of the paint I've picked out)!

O.Nana

Old 09-22-2007, 09:52 PM

432 posts, read 1,382,815 times
I just read this post and love the rock collecting idea for the back yard. What a way to get cheap landscaping and get some exercise at the same time. I know it is illegal to remove rocks in a lot of places so you would have to be careful. But great idea.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:20 AM

2,621 posts, read 7,607,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Anyone else collect odd things? Okay mine is strange, but I like to collect large rocks for my lawn/yard. Especially from rivers, streams, beaches and other states. Kinda like a "rock memory" in our yard of where weve been.
My daughter has a similar hobby with small irregular stones that are not very smooth.

I tend to find her collection all over the place...with my feet! Ouch!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:27 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,702,780 times
This might be of some interest to some of you.

There is a legend in Hawaii that people who take soil, shells, rocks from the island are cursed by Pele, and bad luck follows.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Pele and Lava Rocks
Lava Rock Return to Hawaii

Moderator cut: please post link, copyright law

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-23-2007 at 04:56 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 09:33 PM

57 posts, read 194,951 times
I collect counties. My goal is to visit every county in the US. I'm almost 90% done. The "collection" doesn't take up a lot of space, just a map I color in, hanging on the wall.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 PM

299 posts, read 944,891 times
I paint plants - real ones. I started with this spirea shrub that had beautiful red flowers (which only lasts for a short time). The shrub left brown dry clusters after the blooms faded so I got out my art brush & paint and dabbed the clusters with a matching color. I had beautiful color most of the summer. I found that there are many flowering plants that leave some sort of dry stem after flowering that can be painted; it became addictive. I have also painted some variegated color to the top of leaves of non flowering plants to give it some color. People do laugh at me but but some admire my "green thumb"

Old 11-11-2007, 02:02 AM

944 posts, read 2,374,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Anyone else collect odd things? Okay mine is strange, but I like to collect large rocks for my lawn/yard. Especially from rivers, streams, beaches and other states. Kinda like a "rock memory" in our yard of where weve been.
I collect, on tape, cd or mp3... radio station jingles, legal id's and the such.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques