Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:26 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,741,654 times

Advertisements

Anyone else collect odd things? Okay mine is strange, but I like to collect large rocks for my lawn/yard. Especially from rivers, streams, beaches and other states. Kinda like a "rock memory" in our yard of where weve been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,035 times
I forget what book it was in, that I was reading a young girl, collected miniature tear bottles.

At one point in time, they were perfume bottles. old old old bottles. and so tiny, as in, from bottom to top, perhaps as tall as a fingernail?

These were, obviously out of perfume, but still smelling good. She used them for her memories. Crying can do a world of good - but after awhile, it's time to move on, to preserve the memory she would cry, and be sure to capture as many tears into one of the "tear bottles" as possible, before sealing it up, and storing it away, in preservation of whatever memory she was dedicating it to. As you can imagine, it would have to go along the lines of one of the most bizarre things to collect, among reasons to collect them! But quite a collection it would be.

I myself, have been lucky to inherit from my grandmother, two or 3 such bottles that could be used for the same purpose. althought I have never tried it... not a day passes my mind, that I don't wonder whether it's a clever idea? or the tiniest bit crazy . . . .

Old 07-20-2007, 03:14 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,246 times
I collect cow bells. They have to be used or worn by cows. Everything I collect has to have been used.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:54 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Anyone else collect odd things? Okay mine is strange, but I like to collect large rocks for my lawn/yard. Especially from rivers, streams, beaches and other states. Kinda like a "rock memory" in our yard of where weve been.

My sister does the EXACT same thing. And here I thought that she was the only weird one out there

Old 07-20-2007, 05:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,424,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlekitten View Post
I forget what book it was in, that I was reading a young girl, collected miniature tear bottles.

At one point in time, they were perfume bottles. old old old bottles. and so tiny, as in, from bottom to top, perhaps as tall as a fingernail?

These were, obviously out of perfume, but still smelling good. She used them for her memories. Crying can do a world of good - but after awhile, it's time to move on, to preserve the memory she would cry, and be sure to capture as many tears into one of the "tear bottles" as possible, before sealing it up, and storing it away, in preservation of whatever memory she was dedicating it to. As you can imagine, it would have to go along the lines of one of the most bizarre things to collect, among reasons to collect them! But quite a collection it would be.

I myself, have been lucky to inherit from my grandmother, two or 3 such bottles that could be used for the same purpose. althought I have never tried it... not a day passes my mind, that I don't wonder whether it's a clever idea? or the tiniest bit crazy . . . .
Perhaps this girl needs to collect depression glass too, it would go nicely with tears.
I collect weird stuff, but tears? Sounds like something out of a movie that a witch would do, how odd to collect body fluids.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 PM

434 posts, read 1,736,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlekitten View Post

Check out
Lachrymatory Tear Bottle History

Very interesting thing to collect.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:38 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,035 times
That's awesome!! So glad to hear there's actually a history behind tear bottles.

And no.. it's not creepy witch stuff >< .... it's out of memory. Like a dedication bottle. I don't know about you all, but I keep everything.

My old diaries, old cologne bottles, old perfume bottles, old ticket stubs, junkmart packrat's R US! It's soo cool there is a history behind tear bottles. I don't feel so strange now

Old 07-21-2007, 09:00 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I think it sounds nice and see there? You're not the only one!
Do you ever write anything somewhere on the stone?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:08 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,086 times
I collect rusty metal things. When I told my doctor, she gave me a tetanus shot. I use them in art projects. One is hanging as a sculpture on my front porch, another is a planter and I've also put some in macrame plant hangers.

Some people think my hobby of going to fur trade rendezvous, dressing up in 1800s replica clothes I've made, cooking on an open fire, and staying in a period canvas tent is strange.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:50 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,058,632 times
I collect old animal bones !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques