U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 04:14 AM

2,863 posts, read 6,383,819 times

Advertisements

I have a clock from the 40s and the mainspring just broke. I have one ordered from EBay.

How hard are these to replace? I don't want to take the clock apart only to find a bunch of little pieces fall out and I can't figure out what to do with them.

There is a jewler in town that works on old clocks but I just wanted some opinions if I should tackle this myself or just take it to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 PM

14,160 posts, read 44,716,995 times
Depends on how good you are with small, intricate mechanisms. If the clock is worth much, I would take it to the jeweler, if you take it apart first it makes his job a lot harder.

Most have a safety mechanism that "catches" the mainspring if it breaks, if this clock did not have that there will be damage from that, too.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:58 AM

2,863 posts, read 6,383,819 times
Thanks. I'm going to take it to the jeweler.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:01 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,196,000 times
You'll have to separate both plates to replace the mainspring properly. Can't afford to bend or break the small pins {pivots I believe they are termed} on each end of those gear wheels.

You'll also need to either let down the other spring/s fully {unwind it/them} or tie wire around it/them to keep it/them from springing unwound when undoing the nuts on the backing plate, if that/those unwound spring/s let go it/they will damage the gear wheels in the mechanism. This is *MOST* important so don't forget! There is an incredible amount of power in those springs if they are let loose in the clock mechanism.

It's not difficult to repair these clocks, but you must be aware of the tension of the unbroken spring and tie wire around it to prevent it from unwinding rapidly. If you don't, it will unwind sooooo fast you won't get a chance to stop it, that's when damage is done.

You'd also be advised to bend a small 's' shape on the end of a long piece of stiff wire so you can use this to either push or pull each gear wheel pin into their respective holes in the plate when putting things back together.

Mark each gear wheel as you remove them with a 't' for time, 's' for strike, and 'c' for chime if you have a westminster or a clock that plays a tune on the quarter hour so you don't get the gears mixed up when putting clock back together. I use a piece of sheet polystyrene foam to push each gear wheel into in the same configuration as they came out of the clock. This makes it easy to remember which wheel went where when putting them back in the clock.

Good luck. If you decide to have a go yourself just make sure you have patience and take it slow.

Last edited by ino; 10-01-2011 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: Forgot 'c' for chime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques