U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,470,794 times

Advertisements

I have no idea what a throw-away Walmart watch is.... we do not ever intend to shop there. What an odd assumption to make.

These watches all cost between $150 and $400. None have been bought since about 1995, so I have no idea what the purchase price might be now. One IS a Movado... it died just like all the others.

They all went into the trash with my husband's blessings. I will just continue to use the cell phone for time.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,252,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I have no idea what a throw-away Walmart watch is.... we do not ever intend to shop there. What an odd assumption to make.

These watches all cost between $150 and $400. None have been bought since about 1995, so I have no idea what the purchase price might be now. One IS a Movado... it died just like all the others.

They all went into the trash with my husband's blessings. I will just continue to use the cell phone for time.
You said "every now and then my husband buys me watches"...how does he buy you a watch "every now and then" if you haven't bought one since 1995?

Have you replaced the batteries? Quartz watches aren't complicated at all since the don't have the intricate movements of mechanical watches; it seems VERY peculiar to me that they'd die "within two weeks".

You threw a Movado away? Why? Even non-functional, you could easily get $100 for it on eBay. I don't quite understand your rationale.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,470,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
You said "every now and then my husband buys me watches"...how does he buy you a watch "every now and then" if you haven't bought one since 1995?
Sorry for the tense error... I suppose that should be that he bought or used to buy me watches every now and then. I guess I can expect grammar police at my door! LOL!

Quote:
Have you replaced the batteries? Quartz watches aren't complicated at all since the don't have the intricate movements of mechanical watches; it seems VERY peculiar to me that they'd die "within two weeks".
Ummm... yes, that has been done, even thought it would seem that batteries on a new watch should last more than a week or two.
I have even had two different watchmakers take a look at two of them... all seems well, then when I wear them, they die again.

Quote:
You threw a Movado away? Why? Even non-functional, you could easily get $100 for it on eBay. I don't quite understand your rationale.
meh... it was worth the peace of mind to just get rid of them all. No sense opening up an account and jumping through all the hoops for one item....

Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sorry for the tense error... I suppose that should be that he bought or used to buy me watches every now and then. I guess I can expect grammar police at my door! LOL!

Ummm... yes, that has been done, even thought it would seem that batteries on a new watch should last more than a week or two.
I have even had two different watchmakers take a look at two of them... all seems well, then when I wear them, they die again.

meh... it was worth the peace of mind to just get rid of them all. No sense opening up an account and jumping through all the hoops for one item....
It has nothing to do with correcting your grammar, there is a big difference between "used to buy" and "currently buys". It's like me saying that I DATE someone but in reality I USED TO DATE someone. There is quite a difference and it reflected on how I responded to your post.

Don't you think you should send them back to the company if they're defective? I have a quartz watch which I don't think I've changed the battery since I bought it many years ago.

I think it's absolutely crazy to throw away a $400 watch, I'd at least take it to a pawn shop and have them give you $50 for it.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,963,077 times
I appreciate nice watches. I've always wanted a Rolex Submariner...that is, until prices have gone through the roof and every damn celebrity you see on television and movies now wears them. They were way cooler before everyone started wearing them.

I like Omega's and owned a few. The Speedmaster "Moon Watch" being my favorite and I plan on replacing the one I sold off a few years ago.

I also like IWC, Hamilton, Breitling Navitimers, Marathon, Tissot, Baume & Mercier, and several other brands.

I now wear an Oris TT1 with non-wavy black dial and I love this watch. I have a Seiko dive watch with yellow dial and a Casio G-Shock for knocking around.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:04 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,441,785 times
I like watches a lot, and have a small collection of automatics. For me, there is something about having a small machine of high value, that keeps time. Precision and perfectionism are part of my character and my profession. Mechanical watches fit right into that profile. I like the feeling, the weight, and the rare moment where I hear the rapid ticking sound, when there is no background noise.

For my 35th, I bought myself a GMT Master II (the current design with larger lugs and ceramic bezel). This particular watch spoke to me because of the history, plus the modifications giving it a bigger crown, better clasp, and more substantial appearance. Since I travel and cross time zones very often, the ability to switch the hour hand without stopping the whole watch and resetting it, is a huge plus. Before that, my daily driver was an Omega Seamaster Professional (now discontinued model), which is almost an industrial strength piece of jewelery. Most of my other watches get no wrist time anymore... I'm kind of a creature of habit. I have one quartz 'exception' in my collection, which is a $500 Citizen yacht racing watch, steel and titanium. It's not a common watch, looks very good, has a number of good travel features, and it's probably not something that will raise the eyebrows of undesirables, should I mistakenly get a little off the beaten path in a less desirable area of an unfamiliar city or country.

Anyway, I'm a pusher, so here you go. If a watch is something you like, something you want, and something that you would feel good owning, go for it. Look at it this way: Let's say you want (x) model car which is $50k, and you can afford to buy that car new, but doing so leaves your watch fund a bit short. If you bought the car 2 model years old, the money you didn't spend on initial depreciation could buy you a Rolex Daytona. And what's even better, the Daytona should retain the majority of its purchase price in resale value over a long period of time, unlike the car. So not only can you save from losing depreciation and some sales tax on the car, you're able to wear something very nice, and if you get tired of it, you should be able to sell it for most of what you paid for it to begin with. Obviously it depends on your priorities, but if you like watches, don't let the expense scare you away.

As for the "cell phones tell time" people... they just don't get it. Watch enthusiasts of any level, get that phones and appliances and everything with a display tells you what time it is. It's not about that. Phones are trash. Try wearing a smart phone on your wrist at the next meeting. That'll get some looks. I have a box of old, formerly state of the art phones, which are virtually worthless now. They're the top of the line, highest performing, best available units, now rendered useless as a result of crappy manufacturing, obsolescence, or both.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,307,164 times
Quote:
When did you buy these watches?! There really isn't that much gold in a Day-Date, probably about $1000 worth of gold for a watch that (new) costs $25K+. Rolex watches hold value because of the name, the serviceability, and the quality of the craftsmanship.

What SS Oyster do you have that you receive twice the original cost? Not trying to doubt you but I know watches well enough to know that most watches will never appreciate in value and will always be less expensive than a BNIB Rolex (unless you're talking special/limited ones).

My SS Submariner is probably worth somewhere between $4500-$5000 whereas I paid close to $7K for it.

I want an SS Daytona white-faced model which retails for appx. $11K but because of the low supply and high demand, I'm on a waiting list. I'm hoping somewhere towards the end of this year I'll be able to get my hands on one.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see....

Quote:"When did you buy these watches?! There really isn't that much gold in a Day-Date, probably about $1000 worth of gold for a watch that (new) costs $25K+."

When gold was at $400/oz, there was about $1k of gold in a presidential (when I got mine). Now gold is about 4 times that, in value.
Next, anyone that pays $25K for a presidential must hate keeping his money. You can get a near-mint presidential, looks brand new, fully cleaned, from a very reputable dealer, for about $8K (and that includes the diamond face). I have done it more than once.

I have a SS oyster perpetual datejust, that in the early 80's paid $600 for (it too was absolutely mint). That is my 'beater' or 'utilitarian' watch. I was offered $1600 for it, but I need a watch that I don't mind if it gets beat on a little.

Quote:"...know that most watches will never appreciate in value and will always be less expensive than a BNIB Rolex."

That is why I never buy BNIB.
For example, I got a late-model (at the time) Porsche 928 for $23K, was mint, only had 22K miles on it, and the original owner paid $88K for it just a few years prior.

Watches are a thing of beauty, and can also be an investment, if properly managed. (I won't even go into certain vintage loudspeakers).

Old 02-14-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

Let's see....

Quote:"When did you buy these watches?! There really isn't that much gold in a Day-Date, probably about $1000 worth of gold for a watch that (new) costs $25K+."

When gold was at $400/oz, there was about $1k of gold in a presidential (when I got mine). Now gold is about 4 times that, in value.
Next, anyone that pays $25K for a presidential must hate keeping his money. You can get a near-mint presidential, looks brand new, fully cleaned, from a very reputable dealer, for about $8K (and that includes the diamond face). I have done it more than once.

I have a SS oyster perpetual datejust, that in the early 80's paid $600 for (it too was absolutely mint). That is my 'beater' or 'utilitarian' watch. I was offered $1600 for it, but I need a watch that I don't mind if it gets beat on a little.

Quote:"...know that most watches will never appreciate in value and will always be less expensive than a BNIB Rolex."

That is why I never buy BNIB.
For example, I got a late-model (at the time) Porsche 928 for $23K, was mint, only had 22K miles on it, and the original owner paid $88K for it just a few years prior.

Watches are a thing of beauty, and can also be an investment, if properly managed. (I won't even go into certain vintage loudspeakers).
Are you including the President bracelet in your estimates? If so, then yes the amount of gold in the watch+bracelet would be around $4000.

I have NO idea where you've seen a near-new Rolex president for $8K...I've never, EVER seen a Rolex dealer with a used Day-Date for that amount. Most near-new Day-Dates are at LEAST $16K-$17K and the diamond face is ugly IMO, too much "bling".

My siblings and I gave my father a BNIB Day-Date for his 70th birthday this weekend, he loved it and that's all that matters to me. Now he can go to the golf course with all the other retired farmers and show off his new Rolex.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,307,164 times
Quote:
Are you including the President bracelet in your estimates? If so, then yes the amount of gold in the watch+bracelet would be around $4000.

I have NO idea where you've seen a near-new Rolex president for $8K...I've never, EVER seen a Rolex dealer with a used Day-Date for that amount. Most near-new Day-Dates are at LEAST $16K-$17K and the diamond face is ugly IMO, too much "bling".

My siblings and I gave my father a BNIB Day-Date for his 70th birthday this weekend, he loved it and that's all that matters to me. Now he can go to the golf course with all the other retired farmers and show off his new Rolex.

Quote:"Are you including the President bracelet in your estimates? If so, then yes the amount of gold in the watch+bracelet would be around $4000."

Yes. Reread my post. I stated that when gold was $400/oz, a presidential had about $1000 of gold in it. I stated that gold is now about 4 times that per oz, or $4000.

Quote:"I have NO idea where you've seen a near-new Rolex president for $8K...I've never, EVER seen a Rolex dealer with a used Day-Date for that amount."

I think you may need to get out more often. Google found dozens of them in 0.01 seconds.
If you are willing to go for a grade 8.5 (I wouldn't, but just to see how cheap they are:
Paul Duggan Fine Watches - Item Page

I have a drawer full of Rolexes... they are common and inexpensive compared to the esoteric watches. (BTW, the diamonds are only on the hour markers. I am switching to the platinum cases/bands, as they are way less 'bling' than the gold).

Here are a lot of them: Paul Duggan Fine Watches - Search Rolex Inventory

You can get a grade 9 Submariner for $5000-$9000.

If you want to get expensive, go into the Patek's.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

Quote:"Are you including the President bracelet in your estimates? If so, then yes the amount of gold in the watch+bracelet would be around $4000."

Yes. Reread my post. I stated that when gold was $400/oz, a presidential had about $1000 of gold in it. I stated that gold is now about 4 times that per oz, or $4000.

Quote:"I have NO idea where you've seen a near-new Rolex president for $8K...I've never, EVER seen a Rolex dealer with a used Day-Date for that amount."

I think you may need to get out more often. Google found dozens of them in 0.01 seconds.
If you are willing to go for a grade 8.5 (I wouldn't, but just to see how cheap they are:
Paul Duggan Fine Watches - Item Page

I have a drawer full of Rolexes... they are common and inexpensive compared to the esoteric watches. (BTW, the diamonds are only on the hour markers. I am switching to the platinum cases/bands, as they are way less 'bling' than the gold).

Here are a lot of them: Paul Duggan Fine Watches - Search Rolex Inventory

You can get a grade 9 Submariner for $5000-$9000.

If you want to get expensive, go into the Patek's.
That watch you linked was a 4 million series meaning it was produced between 1974-1977. Of course it's going to be quite a bit cheaper being 25 years old! Rolex has made quite a few changes in their watches from 25 years ago to present day. A near-new, late-model Rolex president is still going to command around $18K+. Secondly I also said an authorized dealer, I wouldn't buy from a grey market dealer when dropping thousands of dollars.

I'd love to see a "drawer full of Rolexes" I call BS on this.

I can buy a NEW no-date Sub for $6000, why would I spend $5000 on a used one? A BNIB date-Sub goes for $8000ish.

I never said anything about buying a Patek, I wouldn't mind having one but I don't think I'd ever justify spending that on a watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques