U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:36 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,306,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
That watch you linked was a 4 million series meaning it was produced between 1974-1977. Of course it's going to be quite a bit cheaper being 25 years old! Rolex has made quite a few changes in their watches from 25 years ago to present day. A near-new, late-model Rolex president is still going to command around $18K+. Secondly I also said an authorized dealer, I wouldn't buy from a grey market dealer when dropping thousands of dollars.

Could you explain to me why a Rolex, that sat in a safe for 30 years, and was fully cleaned and functional, with no sign of wear, and sells for $10K less than what you are paying, is a bad deal? Gold is gold. These are not grey-market. I sent most of mine in to be cleaned at the factory. Absolutely authentic. If you want to get into more pricey stuff, let's go look at diamonds. F grade multi-carat will make you poop your pants.

I'd love to see a "drawer full of Rolexes" I call BS on this.

Call it whatever you want. Given that you have absolutely no information on what I own, or do not own, I sense a really strong lack of intellectual acuity.
I will gladly (if you are close enough), drive over in my Aston Martin (a really pretty blue), and show you (in exchange for you donating to me what the car and watches are worth, fot wasting my time), or if it is farther away, meet me at the airport in my G4.

Geez, I really wish that AZ would secede from the union.

I can buy a NEW no-date Sub for $6000, why would I spend $5000 on a used one? A BNIB date-Sub goes for $8000ish.

I never said anything about buying a Patek, I wouldn't mind having one but I don't think I'd ever justify spending that on a watch.

Well, when you are ready to play with the big boys, let us know. Otherwise, go play in the desert (and steal a saguaro for me. My greenhouse needs one)
Mine in red.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM

43,402 posts, read 52,384,520 times
If I collected anything, it would be watches. I can't justify spending the money (though I have it) on these things, though.

Over the last 15 years, I have acquired...

Swiss Army
Tag Heuer
Rolex
Various other cheaper and just 'fun' watches.

My problem is that you can only wear one watch at a time, so I mostly just wear the Rolex. People are always like, "Why are you wearing a rolex to work?" (our job is gross and it gets banged up). I say, "I didn't pay all this money to leave it in the watch winder."

I wear my tag on vacations because I like to be in the ocean a lot and I find I feel better about using it in the ocean.

Came close to picking up a gorgeous Bulgari in Turks and Caicos, but in retrospect, it kinda looks like my other watches. I don't deviate the style much.

My fave watch right now is my heart rate monitor (polar ft60). I am addicted to that thing!!!!! But I only wear it to work out.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:07 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,251,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If I collected anything, it would be watches. I can't justify spending the money (though I have it) on these things, though.

Over the last 15 years, I have acquired...

Swiss Army
Tag Heuer
Rolex
Various other cheaper and just 'fun' watches.

My problem is that you can only wear one watch at a time, so I mostly just wear the Rolex. People are always like, "Why are you wearing a rolex to work?" (our job is gross and it gets banged up). I say, "I didn't pay all this money to leave it in the watch winder."

I wear my tag on vacations because I like to be in the ocean a lot and I find I feel better about using it in the ocean.

Came close to picking up a gorgeous Bulgari in Turks and Caicos, but in retrospect, it kinda looks like my other watches. I don't deviate the style much.

My fave watch right now is my heart rate monitor (polar ft60). I am addicted to that thing!!!!! But I only wear it to work out.
Thankfully, someone who isn't a troll!

I've always liked Tag's, eventually I wouldn't mind getting one of the Formula 1 watches they make.

A couple friends bought Rolex's after achieving a certain level of success in their field but all of them just keep it in the watch winder 95% of the time. It'd drive me crazy to keep my watch just sitting in a winder while I wear a $100 Seiko or something. Sure the bracelet has a few scuffs and scratches but to me, it just adds some character. The same goes for those who buy a classic car and let it sit in the garage and only take it to car shows! Drives me crazy!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,251,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"The same goes for those who buy a classic car and let it sit in the garage and only take it to car shows! Drives me crazy!"

Then you must hate Jay Leno. We keep 'garage queens' indoors to protect them from the elements, and drive them on nice cool sunny days, to enjoy their capabilities. I don't see what 'drives me crazy!' about what others do with their property, other than you have straight out jealousy.
BTW, this is a thread about collecting watches. Start another one if you want to talk about collecting cars.
Listen here boy, I started this thread and I was making a comparison so back off.

Why would I dislike Leno? Actually I envy the collection he's amassed, it's bar none in my eyes. And you must not know much about Leno because he DOES drive his cars all the time.

How does this equate to jealously, if I WANTED a collector car I'd go BUY one. I certainly wouldn't let it sit in the garage for weeks waiting for the next car show!

The same goes for watches, I don't understand why someone would never wear X watch and just let it sit in a winder.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM

7,807 posts, read 10,676,416 times
Thread is closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques