U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2012, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
4,486 posts, read 15,254,405 times
Reputation: 3935

Advertisements

A member PM'd me a few days ago about where I bought a certain watch and I'm curious as to whom on this forum likes/collects timepieces?

I've honestly always loved watches, I just think they're something neat and something that can be handed down through generations with both sentimental as well as monetary value. I can appreciate almost any type of mechanical watch for what it is; truly one of the last bastions of craftsmanship left in a world full of cheap, made-in-China junk.

If I had the financial means (which I don't), I'd love to assemble a true collection of amazing timepieces from A. Lange & Sohne, Patek, Vacheron Constantin, Rolex, Breitling, etc. Unfortunately I'm not related to Donald Trump so I'm stuck saving for my small collection.

Right now I have about a dozen different watches with my two prized watches being Rolex- a Submariner and a Datejust. My next one is definitely going to be a stainless steel Rolex Daytona if I'm able to get my hands on one, preferably a white-faced model.

What about you all?

 
Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 AM
 
2,836 posts, read 3,087,237 times
Reputation: 1399
You had better start saving a lot of money for you've chosen a very expensive hobby. I would like to have a watch made by George Daniels; but, unhappily, I'm not a millionaire.
Daniels London - George Daniels MBE Master Horologist
 
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 AM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,320 posts, read 11,001,457 times
Reputation: 4109
I collect *watches*, but I am on the other spectrum, price-wise (pun intended)
I care diddly squat about expensive watches, so I buy the cheapest watch I can find at *Big 5*,
wear it until the battery wears out, and then buy another one.
They last between 1 year to almost 2 sometimes .

Having a new battery installed in an expensive watch is about the same cost as what I pay for the cheepee at Big 5 !!!
I must have about a dozen or so now in my *collection*, I *store* in my tool-box in the garage.
Have been doing this for the last 40 years maybe .
Haven't really bought one the last 5 years or so , because my phone has a clock on it ...

What *kills* me is to see people with their phone in their hands 24/7, and also have a watch !
Keep in mind the OP asked who *collects* watches.
I do have one pocket watch, my Dad gave me when I graduated form College umpteen years ago.
I only hold on to that one because it was *his*.
Rather a nice one ... has sound !!! A silver and gold chain, but is still a wind up one.
Haven't looked at it for ages, because the wife put it in a bank deposit box ...

BTW, my cheepee 12 dollar watch from Big 5 tells time the same way as your 500 or more dollar one !!!
(I do not like the digital one !! So it must have *hands*!!).
For some reason or another, they actually were pretty accurate ...

Last edited by irman; 02-02-2012 at 10:33 AM..
 
Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
4,486 posts, read 15,254,405 times
Reputation: 3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I collect *watches*, but I am on the other spectrum, price-wise (pun intended)
I care diddly squat about expensive watches, so I buy the cheapest watch I can find at *Big 5*,
wear it until the battery wears out, and then buy another one.
They last between 1 year to almost 2 sometimes .

Having a new battery installed in an expensive watch is about the same cost as what I pay for the cheepee at Big 5 !!!
I must have about a dozen or so now in my *collection*, I *store* in my tool-box in the garage.
Have been doing this for the last 40 years maybe .
Haven't really bought one the last 5 years or so , because my phone has a clock on it ...

What *kills* me is to see people with their phone in their hands 24/7, and also have a watch !
Keep in mind the OP asked who *collects* watches.
I do have one pocket watch, my Dad gave me when I graduated form College umpteen years ago.
I only hold on to that one because it was *his*.
Rather a nice one ... has sound !!! A silver and gold chain, but is still a wind up one.
Haven't looked at it for ages, because the wife put it in a bank deposit box ...

BTW, my cheepee 12 dollar watch from Big 5 tells time the same way as your 500 or more dollar one !!!
(I do not like the digital one !! So it must have *hands*!!).
For some reason or another, they actually were pretty accurate ...
First off, most "expensive" watches are MECHANICALLY operated, not battery operated. They don't use a quartz movement, most have in-house mechanical movements.

A watch collector doesn't buy battery-operated watches, they purchase mechanical watches because they appreciate the craftsmanship and complexity of the parts which allow it to function.

A watch is a piece of jewelry for many men, it's something they can mix/match with different outfits to give a certain look. The nice thing about many mechanical watches is that they can both be dressy and casual depending on the outfit. My Rolex Sub goes as well with my suit and tie as it does with jeans and a t-shirt.

Lastly, $500 is not expensive for a mechanical watch, in fact that is quite cheap. Most quality mechanical watches from Rolex or Breitling to Patek or Vacheron Constantin span the gamut from $3000 to easily surpassing $300,000.

While you may throw away your $12 Timex, a mechanical watch will always hold value. There is a very strong used market for these type of watches which usually can be sold for 75% of the price of a new watch. Over time, it's possible to actually get more than what you paid for your watch because of the price increases.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,512 posts, read 10,302,337 times
Reputation: 6868
Well let's see, I don't necessarily collect watch's but I do have three pocket watch is in a WWII military wristwatch, one of the pocket watch is was my grandfather's and it's an old Hamilton adjusted for railroad service 21 jeweled that is somewhere from the early 1900s, I have and Illinois pocket watch that has a ceramic face that is also a 21 jewel and the other pocket watch is a silver one by Illinois and it is James A. Garfield's pocket watch with the Shriners emblem in the face, now the pocket watch is a Helbos, it has a true 24 hour face on it and the hands are luminous. So far that's all I have in the way of watch's
 
Old 02-03-2012, 07:50 PM
 
3,252 posts, read 6,308,901 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
First off, most "expensive" watches are MECHANICALLY operated, not battery operated. They don't use a quartz movement, most have in-house mechanical movements.

A watch collector doesn't buy battery-operated watches, they purchase mechanical watches because they appreciate the craftsmanship and complexity of the parts which allow it to function.

A watch is a piece of jewelry for many men, it's something they can mix/match with different outfits to give a certain look. The nice thing about many mechanical watches is that they can both be dressy and casual depending on the outfit. My Rolex Sub goes as well with my suit and tie as it does with jeans and a t-shirt.

Lastly, $500 is not expensive for a mechanical watch, in fact that is quite cheap. Most quality mechanical watches from Rolex or Breitling to Patek or Vacheron Constantin span the gamut from $3000 to easily surpassing $300,000.

While you may throw away your $12 Timex, a mechanical watch will always hold value. There is a very strong used market for these type of watches which usually can be sold for 75% of the price of a new watch. Over time, it's possible to actually get more than what you paid for your watch because of the price increases.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hit the nail on the head.
I collect mechanical watches.
The OP can use his quartz timex watches, and when they wear out, just toss them.
(Also, as another OP stated, he has pocket watches, which are my favorite, but unless they are very specific models, the case is the value, if they are solid gold). Though I think it is a little out of style to wear one, with a chain on your vest

Quarter-second movements rule

You are absolutely correct about increases in watch prices.... due to the value of the precious metals. I bought a presidential quite a while ago, used it as a daily watch, and due to the skyrocketing price of gold, got more than twice what I paid for it. So it was utilitarian, and a good investment.
I got twice what I paid for a stainless steel oyster...

Now that platinum is depressed in value, (and it is much less ostentatious than gold).... there may be an opportunity for a Rolex there.

The only thing that drives me nuts (so I put them in another room), is hearing the watch-winders run every 15 minutes at night.

A friend of mine had an interest in horology, started collecting watches, and now owns a high-end watch store in the Jeweler's building in Boston.

Watch collecting can be a very enjoyable hobby (just don't go overboard).
 
Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
4,486 posts, read 15,254,405 times
Reputation: 3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hit the nail on the head.
I collect mechanical watches.
The OP can use his quartz timex watches, and when they wear out, just toss them.
(Also, as another OP stated, he has pocket watches, which are my favorite, but unless they are very specific models, the case is the value, if they are solid gold). Though I think it is a little out of style to wear one, with a chain on your vest

Quarter-second movements rule

You are absolutely correct about increases in watch prices.... due to the value of the precious metals. I bought a presidential quite a while ago, used it as a daily watch, and due to the skyrocketing price of gold, got more than twice what I paid for it. So it was utilitarian, and a good investment.
I got twice what I paid for a stainless steel oyster...

Now that platinum is depressed in value, (and it is much less ostentatious than gold).... there may be an opportunity for a Rolex there.

The only thing that drives me nuts (so I put them in another room), is hearing the watch-winders run every 15 minutes at night.

A friend of mine had an interest in horology, started collecting watches, and now owns a high-end watch store in the Jeweler's building in Boston.

Watch collecting can be a very enjoyable hobby (just don't go overboard).
When did you buy these watches?! There really isn't that much gold in a Day-Date, probably about $1000 worth of gold for a watch that (new) costs $25K+. Rolex watches hold value because of the name, the serviceability, and the quality of the craftsmanship.

What SS Oyster do you have that you receive twice the original cost? Not trying to doubt you but I know watches well enough to know that most watches will never appreciate in value and will always be less expensive than a BNIB Rolex (unless you're talking special/limited ones).

My SS Submariner is probably worth somewhere between $4500-$5000 whereas I paid close to $7K for it.

I want an SS Daytona white-faced model which retails for appx. $11K but because of the low supply and high demand, I'm on a waiting list. I'm hoping somewhere towards the end of this year I'll be able to get my hands on one.
 
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,419 posts, read 37,484,068 times
Reputation: 39034
I inadvertently collect watches....

Every now and again my husband buys me one. Within two weeks it is dead. It then goes to live in a drawer with my other dead watches.

I think this tread will motivate me to take them all and toss 'em....
 
Old 02-07-2012, 12:59 PM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,945,896 times
Reputation: 2175
Am very excited....

A brand spanking new Aquadive
Welcome to Aquadive Watches
is coming my way... in a day or 2.
 
Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
4,486 posts, read 15,254,405 times
Reputation: 3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I inadvertently collect watches....

Every now and again my husband buys me one. Within two weeks it is dead. It then goes to live in a drawer with my other dead watches.

I think this tread will motivate me to take them all and toss 'em....
Time to step away from the throw-away Walmart watches and into something respectable. You don't need a Rolex, Breitling, or Patek but I'd suggest at least a nice Seiko or Movado (if you want a dress watch).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top