Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times

Advertisements

when a dealer uses a personal friend to tell the customer how much an item is worth? how do you know the appraiser isnt actually working with the pawn shop to get the lowest price

if an item is actually worth over 10,000

the pawn shop guys friend will say it's worth much less to help out his friend to get it cheap , he might say it's worth $5,000

and sometimes an item could be original but the pawn shop appraisier says it's a fake, but they offer to buy it from you cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 03:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Someone in that business is going to use someone they know and trust, wouldn't you?

The seller has the option of getting their own appraisal and anyone that is going to make a deal like that blind without at least doing some research on the internet is a fool.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I guess it comes down to the appraiser wanting to maintain their professional integrity and reputation.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Well, of course the shop is going to use a regular set of appraisers, and probably ones that live in the area. And when introduced, they all seem to have valid credentials. They also probably get paid for their services off camera.

And of course, over time the shop and these appraisers are going to develop a cordial relationship.

Otherwise, it is up to the seller to look out for their own best interests by doing their own research and deciding how much they will take for their goods. Of course, Pawn Stars are going to buy in a manner that they will profit from the purchase. And keep in mind, that a shop like theirs has high overhead with their rent and paying for at least four full time employees. And if you look in the background, you will see many items in the shop that are taking a long time to sell.

So the buyer is getting immediate cash upfront, but the shop isn't going to see a return on their investment right away. Plus, some things are sent out for restoration before hitting the showroom floor. And whatever the item gets priced, most likely their future customer will want to buy it with a discount (like 10% off).

Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
ALL tv reality shows are staged. Anyone who thinks differently is an idiot.

Otherwise, there is no set value on any object. What you are willing to pay for a particular item is going to be different than another collector or dealer, or retail customer that happens into a shop and makes an impulse purchase because it catches their fancy and they have a wad of cash burning a whole in their pocket.

And values change from year to year as some things become harder to collect or several collections come up for sale in the marketplace. It's all about supply and demand, and also how the item is showcased and marketed. And there is no right or wrong price for any object as long as the seller and buyer are satisfied with the transaction.

Of course, the cheaper the item is priced, the quicker it is to sell. And sometimes, the price goes crazy high if several bidders are fighting over it at an auction.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Sure PAWN STARS is scripted but I sill luv it. STORAGE WARS is another reality show I enjoy. Typically one show becomes successful and copycats soon follow.

BTW Chumley and the Ol' Man make PAWN STARS.
GL2

Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
Ive heard from people who actually know the producers or work in the show tell me a lot of the sales are staged, sometimes they offer to buy something for a high price but they are just pretending to buy it for the show and they actually didnt buy it at all

ever notice how they act like 15 grand is like a chicken feed? it's because they arent really buying anything theyre just faking it for TV trying to convince viewers how valuable a piece of junk is

if I brought in something unusual like they show on tv, I bet they would not even be interested, real Pawn shops dont buy stuff like that, ejection seats, airplane, helicopter, etc

and when they do buy something they pay much much less that what they portray on tv

if you bring in a diamond ring worth $1000, they might offer you $50 for it, thats how it really is, I would never sell to a pawn shop, Id rather throw it away before they get it

Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
I laugh every time the handwriting expert walks in on Pawn Stars carrying his huge case but all he ever pulls out of it is a magnifying glass he could've carried in his pocket.

On the other hand, that guy's hair on Cajun Pawn Stars makes me grin every time

Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
LOL, I was just thinking "nice hair" when I read your line on the Cajun Pawn Star's hair. I have not watched this show, one is enough (Pawn Stars), and even that one I have gotten burned out on. Same with Storage Wars (original). They show the same episodes over and over and over and............. which disappoints me because I really liked both shows at first. "Too much, too often". Taking notes, A&E and Hisory channels?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:11 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Well the one to watch for pure shock and/ or entertainment value is Hard Core Pawn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques