U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 04:13 PM

15,771 posts, read 22,880,560 times

Advertisements

Google isn't my friend at the moment. I can tell you the entire background of the company. The Oscar statues were made from Brittaniaware electroplated with gold.

I need some help determining the age and content. I've got candle sticks stamped ISC that aren't your normal pewter. They seem to be Federal style. Brittaniaware a shiny white pewter.

Can provide a photo if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:49 AM
miu

16,532 posts, read 33,554,572 times
Post pictures of the candlesticks and the mark would be helpful.

I think that you mean "Britannia ware" or "Britannia metal", not Brittaniaware (one word). And according to Wikipedia:

Quote:
The composition is approximately 93% tin, 5% antimony, and 2% copper.
I think that ISC stands for the International Silver Company, but I can't be positive without a picture of the marks. International Silver Company was founded in 1898 in NJ and they are still in business today. They make all sorts of products in silver, silverplate, and pewter.

And a picture of the marks will also help determine the age of them. They are probably mid to late 20thc. in manufacturing period even if they look older in style to you. Reproductions of older styles are always popular for decorative value.

Their condition will help determine their value. But they are most like more decorative than actually valuable monetarily. They also have no value as scrap metal.

Last edited by miu; 08-16-2012 at 08:02 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Post pictures of the candlesticks and the mark would be helpful.

I think that you mean "Britannia ware" or "Britannia metal", not Brittaniaware (one word). And according to Wikipedia:

I think that ISC stands for the International Silver Company, but I can't be positive without a picture of the marks. International Silver Company was founded in 1898 in NJ and they are still in business today. They make all sorts of products in silver, silverplate, and pewter.

And a picture of the marks will also help determine the age of them. They are probably mid to late 20thc. in manufacturing period even if they look older in style to you. Reproductions of older styles are always popular for decorative value.

Their condition will help determine their value. But they are most like more decorative than actually valuable monetarily. They also have no value as scrap metal.

Thanks for your help Miu, will post a photo or 2.

The condition is perfect, they're what I call 'Federal style ', positive they're International Silver Co. The article on the history referred to 'Brittaniaware', one word. I'll have to go back and pull it up and post the link. I've never seen pewter candlesticks like them on line anywhere or in any research. If I don't know what I have and how old, I can't list or price accordingly.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 PM

Perhaps these aren't pewter?

Anyone knowledgable about Brittaniaware-untitled.bmp

Anyone knowledgable about Brittaniaware-untitled-2.bmp

Last edited by virgode; 08-16-2012 at 10:39 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 AM
miu

16,532 posts, read 33,554,572 times
Your pictures are so small! lol In the first one, I can't see the manufacturers marks at all. And my initial visual reaction is that your candleholders not pewter. They might have been silverplated at one point, but that all the plating has worn off. Without any polishing over the years, most old pewter items become a dark grey colour and have a matte finish.

Otherwise, I would consider your items to be "candleholders" not "candlesticks" because they have no "stick" middle stem part. In form, they are just a base element and a socket to hold a candle in.

Please post pictures that are larger in size.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 PM

Those photos were taken with an iphone. Talked to someone online with the same pewter style, same 'IS' International Silver Co., not marked as pewter, yet they are pewter.

As far as the year of manufacture, they're luck was no better in finding the year of manufacture. I'm guessing anywhere between the 40s-70s. The value isn't worth investing anymore time in a search.

Now I need to find someone familiar with semi-precious gemstones. I'll start a new thread and post photos.

Again, thanks for your help Miu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or