U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,864,944 times

Advertisements

My father in law brought a German officer's dress dagger home from Germany where he served in the Army during WWII. We recently came across it in a box of his stuff. It's in surprising good shape--dagger and scabbard.

I want to get it out of the house--to me--that thing is bad karma city.. Does anyone know how you would go about selling something like that? I found one on a site that contained information on German dress daggers from WWII and it had sold for $650. However, the last posting on the site was about 2 years ago and no one has answered my initial email.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 04:00 AM

9,580 posts, read 10,923,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
My father in law brought a German officer's dress dagger home from Germany where he served in the Army during WWII. We recently came across it in a box of his stuff. It's in surprising good shape--dagger and scabbard.

I want to get it out of the house--to me--that thing is bad karma city.. Does anyone know how you would go about selling something like that? I found one on a site that contained information on German dress daggers from WWII and it had sold for $650. However, the last posting on the site was about 2 years ago and no one has answered my initial email.

The absolute best spot is ebay. Do a search for ww2 German dagger. Check the completed listings, then take some very good pictures and list it. ebay buyers are very knowledgable and there are plenty of them so you'll get the right price. Be sure to mention the fact that your father brought it home. That's not much of a provenance but it could help. People worry about counterfeits.

Are you sure it's what you think it is? During the days of the Third Reich there were all sorts of daggers made for different services. Please post the pictures here as well so we may see what you have.

For those who are interested in Third Reich material as well as earlier German items and the memorabilia of other Axis nations I have appended a link to an extraordinary site that will provide hours of reading and learning. They have many outstanding items for sale as well since the site is really a magnificent catalog.

Germania International; items of German, Hitler, Kaiser, Nazi, Tsar, and Reich Origin

Old 09-06-2012, 04:16 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,138,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
People worry about counterfeits.
And for very good reason.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,864,944 times
I had been told that I cannot post this on eBay because it contains the Nazi symbol of an eagle standing on a Swastika on the handle--so I didn't even check them. I will though and see if there is anything like it on the site.

I have researched the dagger well. This is the information I found regarding it.

OFFICER'S DAGGER. (Heer Offizierdolch)

BACKGROUND: Traditionally German Army Officers had worn a saber as part of the uniform dress and this tradition was carried on through the Weimar era, (Circa 1919-1933), Reichswehr, (National Defence {Force}), and on into the Third Reich. In an attempt to build morale and curry favour within the Army, Hitler introduced the dress dagger for optional wear with the walking out dress, and retained the saber for wear on more formal occasions. The dress dagger was designed by Berlin graphic artist Paul Casberg and was officially approved for wear on May 4TH 1935 along with specifically styled dagger hangers and a new pattern portepee. The edged weapon portepees were originally introduced in the Prussian army in 1808, and continued to be worn with the Dress uniform, as a tradition and identifying item through WWI, the Weimar era and on into the Third Reich, with minor modifications. Originally designed as a functional item to secure the blade sidearm to the holder’s wrist the portepee evolved into a purely decorative accessory. The Third Reich era Officer’s dagger portepee was introduced along with the Officer’s dagger on May 4TH 1935 and was intended for wear by all Officers and Senior NCO’s with permission to wear the dagger. Of Note: Production of the dress dagger was to be discontinued as per regulations of May 27TH 1943 and further wear of the dress dagger and portepee was prohibited by order of September 5TH 1944. Additional regulations of December 23RD 1944 indicated that officer ranks were to wear a pistol in place of the dress dagger.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: The dagger features a roughly, 10 1/4" long, drop forged steel construction, nickel/silver plated, stiletto style blade with a flat central ridge and a full length, including the hilt, of roughly, 14 1/2". The blade is in overall very good, clean condition with light to moderate scabbard runner marks, some light spotting and most of the original cross-graining is still visible. The reverse ricasso is well marked with the deeply, acid etched, manufacturer’s logo and script. The logo consists of a vertically oval cartouche with the manufacturer’s name and location, "Carl Eickhorn Solingen". The dagger has a cast alloy, nickel/silver plated, crossguard, ferrule, and pommel. The obverse crossguard features the embossed, army style national eagle with outstretched wings, clutching a wreathed, canted swastika in its talons and a plain reverse. The ferrule and pommel both feature embossed repeating oak-leaf patterns. The dagger has a molded, dark orange/yellow, celluloid grip with the correct, diagonally angled ribbing. The dagger comes with its original, tooled, magnetic sheet metal construction, nickel/silver plated scabbard with a random pebbled pattern to both the obverse and reverse and smooth side panels. Both of the sweated on scabbard bands with a repeating, horizontally embossed oak-leaf pattern and the hanger suspension rings with a single throat retaining screw.

The description and photo that accompanied it--right down to the maker's mark, are identical to the dagger my father-in-law brought home from Germany after his tour of duty there.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 PM

OK. We know what it is.

With respect to ebay, don't worry. They have a policy forbidding the display of the swastika. At most, you'll need to put a tiny piece of paper or similar over the swastika on the dagger in your pictures. But there are plenty of items on ebay showing the swastika. Search "NSDAP" or "Third Reich" or "Wehrmacht" or "Nazi", actually an abbreviation of NSDAP or search what I previously said to search.

The ebay policy is offensive to so many people particularly since they have no policy against display of the Hammer and Sickle, symbol of the hated and unlamented Soviet Union.

I have a gravy boat used in an Army mess hall. On the bottom is the maker's information along with the swastika. If you're not clumsy and very careful it's a neat way to serve gravy when having Sauerbraten.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 AM

16,955 posts, read 22,268,498 times
Try a gun auction site like gunbroker rather than ebay for weapons, WWII items, etc. I think you'll find many buyers are extremely cautious buying stuff without seeing it in person first though, as most of what's seen is fake. You know your father in law brought that home from WWII, but the buyer on an online auction doesn't know you nor will they take your word for it.

I'd keep the thing to remember your father in law's service, but that's just me. I have a few Nazi items: coins, a k98 rifle, etc., and honestly, I don't feel anything bad coming off any of it. Serves as a reminder so those bad events aren't forgotten, and when I see the stuff I think of my grandfather who was there and fought the Nazis. Now if something was SS marked I'd have slightly different feelings about it, but I still likely would not sell it. Not everyone who carried those Nazi marked items was a Nazi or war criminal. The SS was a completely bad group however.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,978 times
Default Still trying to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

Not sure if you are still having trouble selling this item, but we deal large amounts of WW2 German collectibles and are always buying. [URL="http://www.war-relics.com"]www.war-relics.com[/URL] if you are interested.

Thanks!
Dante

Old 12-20-2013, 01:12 PM

4,103 posts, read 4,275,654 times
I know we arent here to discuss the merits of ebay policies, but I am surprised by ebay banning historical artifacts. Sure the Nazis were the spawn of satan, and sure the iconography brings back painful memories, but it is history. People NEED to see it to remember what we are capable of. As odd as it may seem you could contact a Jewish historian in your area that would use it as part of a memorial museum. I know of someone in our area that has set up a "Never forget" memorial.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I know we arent here to discuss the merits of ebay policies, but I am surprised by ebay banning historical artifacts. Sure the Nazis were the spawn of satan, and sure the iconography brings back painful memories, but it is history. People NEED to see it to remember what we are capable of. As odd as it may seem you could contact a Jewish historian in your area that would use it as part of a memorial museum. I know of someone in our area that has set up a "Never forget" memorial.
The period of the Third Reich in Germany saw the production of medals, flags, arms, especially edged weapons and so many other items that had a sumptuous beauty excelling anything before or since. ebay has simply shown itself to be a pusillanimous corporation too quick to bow down and bootlick.

Let's not forget that all of central and eastern Europe except Poland was in lockstep with the Germans in their drive to rid the world of Stalin and Communism. The Waffen SS, a source of great artifacts, was composed of people ranging from Finnish to indian and even British who were proud to fight along their German compatriots in ridding the world of this scourge.

I have a number of medallic portraits of Adolf Hitler that are striking in their artistry. Materials range from silver to porcelain. Germany, like ancient Rome and Greece had the happy experience of having the nation's most renowned sculptors executing coins and medals. As a man who appreciates beauty I'm sickened and disgusted by the continual insults heaped upon this nation, its leadership and its artistic creations..

I adjure the open-minded, those not influenced by the propaganda machines, to investigate the sumptuous artifacts of the Third Reich.

I've appended the address of a good source.

Enter Germania International

Old 12-21-2013, 05:10 AM

16,955 posts, read 22,268,498 times
I'm never surprised when ebay bans things. I can't wait for a better auction site to become competitive, one that won't kowtow to every whiney pansy who finds something offensive or scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques