U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 AM

2,055 posts, read 3,544,276 times

Advertisements

So I've been cleaning out my dad's barn and he's letting me keep what I want. There is an Erie/Merit oil pump with tank similar to this one without the Mobil logo on the side (it does have the Mobil oil lid on the top) I didn't get any pics but it's solid, ugly but still in good shape with all the parts. Would it be worth it to restore it, or would I get more money leavening it with it's "patina"?

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...ump-model-2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 AM

9,550 posts, read 10,867,662 times
It's probably not worth it at this time if it's a stinker. But you could list it on ebay. Otherwise I'd just store it to prevent further deterioration and check what the sale prices are from time to time. Here's the current ebay group. Someone repainted that red one rather badly.

erie oil pump | eBay

Old 09-20-2012, 07:15 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,190,415 times
I would leave it as is, lots of collectors want that rustic old weathered look for decoration

Old 09-20-2012, 09:06 PM

9,550 posts, read 10,867,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I would leave it as is, lots of collectors want that rustic old weathered look for decoration
The collector does not employ his collection for "decoration".

Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 AM
miu

17,105 posts, read 34,563,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The collector does not employ his collection for "decoration".
I respectfully disagree. Most collectors DO want to display their collections in their dwelling. Most people shopping at at flea markets, thrifts, antique shows and shops DO use their purchases for decorating around their homes.

And doesn't buying two like items constitute the start of a collection?

About two decades ago, the prices for the Boston area blue and white decorated Dedham Pottery were very strong. Then suddenly they tanked and the market corrected itself. It turns out that there was a wealthy woman in Long Island who was crazy for the pottery and decorating her mansion with it. But once she got bored with that look, she dumped her massive collection and went with another look. The prices dropped with all that extra inventory on the market AND because the dealers lost her as a strong customer.

Anyway, most collectors do decorate with what they gather from antique dealers. Unless, one is collecting really rare and expensive gold coins or antique Lalique jewelry, then that sort of item ought to be kept in a bank safe deposit box or displayed in a museum under glass. Or a sterling flatware set should be kept in a tarnish proof chest. But the vast majority of antiques and collectibles are on display in their owners homes and being decorative. Like period Arts and Crafts movement Stickley furniture and also art pottery, and collectors of old plates will put them in a glass china cabinet or hang them on a wall.

And most people don't have the extra room to NOT display their collections out in the open of their homes.

So.... back to the original question. If the OP is not keeping the oil pump, he should sell it "as is" and let the final owner decide if they want to restore it or not. And mostly because if he gets it restored, a proper restoration job would be expensive to do. And since he's not a dealer, when he goes to try to sell the oil pump himself, most likely he will only find dealers to sell it to... and probably at the price they are willing to pay for it, the difference in price between selling it "as is" and restored will not be more than the cost of restoration.

Otherwise, if that oil pump is significantly rusty, no collector will want it displayed in their homes or vintage themed garage or sitting outside their garage getting rustier. Unrestored, that rusty oil pump will eventually disintegrate into a pile of rusty metal fragments.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:53 AM
miu

17,105 posts, read 34,563,226 times
Most collectors want mint condition/unused like new examples of what they collect. They get very excited over things that are NOS, in other words in the original packaging and never taken out. And since those items are rare, they will pay top dollar for it. A restored item will never be as valuable as a never used item. But at least for many, if the price is right (less than a mint condition one) they will happily buy it for on display inside their home or garage.

And there is a difference between a wood piece of furniture with an original finish that is worn and one wants to go with a country look, and a metal object that has a worn original finish and starting to rust. Plus exposed rusty metal is a real health hazard. If one gets a cut or scrape from rusty metal, it could lead to tetanus. And that's especially important if there might be children around that object, whether it's inside the home or outside decorating the driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or