U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM

659 posts, read 811,148 times

Advertisements

H I M Dark Light RIAA Certified Gold Record Award Ville Valo Him H E R Her | eBay

I did some research and only thing I could find was something about black frames not being authentic, I was hoping someone here is more familar with these types of awards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,795,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
H I M Dark Light RIAA Certified Gold Record Award Ville Valo Him H E R Her | eBay

I did some research and only thing I could find was something about black frames not being authentic, I was hoping someone here is more familar with these types of awards.
I'm a seller, not familiar with these awards. Check the sellers rating. Is their a Certificate of Authenticity?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 PM

He has good ratings, but he sells rare CD's as well. I noticed this seller listed a lot of RIAA awards. I bid and won this one because I LOOOOVE this band. But now worried because it might be a fake.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 AM
miu

17,104 posts, read 34,528,599 times
I suppose you could do an internet search to see what major auctions houses sell this sort of collectible. Then contact their experts with your question.

Or maybe look for the RIAA home website and ask them.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:32 PM

It's real, I emailed the original owner. He is retired from Warner bros records now since 2009. He confirmed it was real.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,964 times
ya this is fake..

Old 10-29-2012, 07:55 AM

It's real lol I looked up the owner on facebook and messaged him. He is not the seller, he sold it to Rockaway Records and the person selling it obviously bought a bunch of and reselling on ebay. I also confirmed it on the RIAA site, there is a serial number in the bar.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM

21,230 posts, read 14,256,943 times
Quote:
It's real, I emailed the original owner. He is retired from Warner bros records now since 2009. He confirmed it was real.
Gold records are handed out to the winners in a bunch. The record producer, the artists, the engineers, and the graphics designer almost always get a copy, as do family members, friends, agents, and financiers. And, of course, Warner executives, especially those in the upper levels of recording production.

I've never heard of that band. I think it's very possible that a retired executive who has a closet stacked full of now nearly forgotten gold records awarded to equally forgotten artists would come to a point where he wouldn't want to take up all available wall space in his retirement home with old gold records. For sure, he's going to keep the ones that are either the largest hits or the most closely connected to him, but this one could very well be one he just wanted to get rid of.

Learning if he is actually who he says he is would be very easy, if you haven't done it already. If he's the real deal, provenance on how he came by the gold record should be just as easy. Provenance is a factual trail of ownership that can be fully verified and documented. It is a requirement for some stuff, like high priced art, rare antiques, historically significant objects, and rare documents. I know nothing of the collector's market in gold records, but I'm sure there is one.

If it was me, I would politely request some written provenance on your certificate, especially if you bought it as an investment. If you bought it just for your pleasure and are satisfied with what you got from email, that's cool, too. I think the odds of it being genuine are greater than it being a forgery; forgers don't often go for obscurity in any field- they want the big money that comes from artifacts of the most famous and/or notorious.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 PM

16,507 posts, read 20,904,171 times
Quote:
A word here about record labels and the retail store in question.

I've known Gary and Wayne Johnson of Rockaway Records for 26 years. IMO they have the nicest retail store regarding CD's, DVD's, and particularly collectors lp's I've ever been in. They have a solid reputation, know a lot of people in the music business (the Capitol Record Tower is just 15 minutes from their store), pay top dollar for collections, and I could go on and on. Here's two stories regarding two massive purchases that I've seen in their store.

1. This one was won at an auction. Mel Torme is a well known jazz artist who was popular from the 40's to the 90's. Rockaway won the auction for Torme's personal music collection a year or so after Mr. Torme died. An incredible collection of vintage jazz recordings.

2. A guy who worked for Capitol Records sold to Rockaway a sealed copy of every lp Capitol pressed on a commercial basis, from the early 10 inch lp's of the early 50's to the last of the early 90's vinyl that was pressed.

It's not that surprising that they would wholesale awards to someone. They're a first class operation through and through. Fact.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-31-2012 at 09:55 PM..

Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 PM

16,507 posts, read 20,904,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Gold records are handed out to the winners in a bunch. The record producer, the artists, the engineers, and the graphics designer almost always get a copy, as do family members, friends, agents, and financiers. And, of course, Warner executives, especially those in the upper levels of recording production.

I've never heard of that band. I think it's very possible that a retired executive who has a closet stacked full of now nearly forgotten gold records awarded to equally forgotten artists would come to a point where he wouldn't want to take up all available wall space in his retirement home with old gold records. For sure, he's going to keep the ones that are either the largest hits or the most closely connected to him, but this one could very well be one he just wanted to get rid of.

Learning if he is actually who he says he is would be very easy, if you haven't done it already. If he's the real deal, provenance on how he came by the gold record should be just as easy. Provenance is a factual trail of ownership that can be fully verified and documented. It is a requirement for some stuff, like high priced art, rare antiques, historically significant objects, and rare documents. I know nothing of the collector's market in gold records, but I'm sure there is one.

If it was me, I would politely request some written provenance on your certificate, especially if you bought it as an investment. If you bought it just for your pleasure and are satisfied with what you got from email, that's cool, too. I think the odds of it being genuine are greater than it being a forgery; forgers don't often go for obscurity in any field- they want the big money that comes from artifacts of the most famous and/or notorious.
Good comments by banjomike as always!

The RIAA awards (Record Industry Association of America) are pressed in bigger quantities these days as opposed to the awards from decades ago. Up until the mid 1970's gold and platinum awards are known as "white mattes" do to the white mat background. Those awards were given to the specific artist or artists (in a group) individually as well as the record label, then finally to the A&R representative of the group. And no one else. Later awards from the 80's on were known as hologram awards and by this time more people were involved regarding receiving an RIAA award.

Good advice regarding some sort of written guarantee of what you have won on E-bay. Any reputable dealer, be it e-bay, Amazon, Music Stack or Gemm regarding online business or an established brick and mortar store would/should happily comply regarding a request for a letter of authenticity. You're spending a few hundred dollars for an item. It's a good chunk of coin. Why not request one?

Regarding the worth of what vintage music items go for. These type awards, autographs, and the like have never really had print documentation as to what these items should sell at. That is NOT the case for vintage vinyl however. The music trade magazine called "Goldmine" and another company simply known as Jerry Osborne has been in the business of documenting the worth of albums, 45's, 78's, and ep's (extended plays) since the mid 1970's. They cover all genres of music. And still crank out price guides today.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-31-2012 at 10:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques