U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 AM

44,296 posts, read 35,841,586 times

Advertisements

I think this is the next big thing when it comes to decorating - I'm seeing more and more silver and silver plate collections in decorating magazines. There are still many good pieces to be found at flea markets, antique and resale shops, etc.

Look at this great idea!

Maison Decor: Decorating with Silver

I'm about to go scavenging - any more ideas, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,307,164 times
Just my personal opinion, but I think that looks hilarious (each to his own, however). I collect sterling silver, and gave all the plated stuff to GoodWill. Sterling (despite the cheap price w.r.t gold), is still expensive, and I would never decorate a house with it. (A cake knife is $400). Expensive art, yes, as it is unlikely that a thief would know to steal it (or be able to pawn it).
Real silver and gold are what safes are for.

Sort of reminds me of the Texas clock on the wall in the kitchen on 'King of the Hill'.

JMHO.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Just my personal opinion, but I think that looks hilarious (each to his own, however). I collect sterling silver, and gave all the plated stuff to GoodWill. Sterling (despite the cheap price w.r.t gold), is still expensive, and I would never decorate a house with it. (A cake knife is $400). Expensive art, yes, as it is unlikely that a thief would know to steal it (or be able to pawn it).
Real silver and gold are what safes are for.

Yes, to each his own. Maybe I'll find some of your stuff at Goodwill! I don't have to have sterling silver - in fact, I don't necessarily want it, due to the price and the fact that I'd like to reuse many of the items for everyday uses and it seems more practical to use silver plate for everyday use.

I keep my real silver and real gold in my safe at home, but I wouldn't buy a piece of art that I had to lock up in a safe. I enjoy displaying and being around the art and furnishings that I collect too much. In fact, I hate that I have to lock up my gold and silver but it's a necessary reality in today's world. I have to remind myself to go get my jewelry out of the safe and wear it -otherwise what's the point of having it? I could just invest in gold or silver bars rather than pay for the actual work involved in creating jewelry, or other objects of precious metal.

But I like to decorate with a bit of whimsy. For instance, I just bought my husband a set of antique candy scales for Christmas. Of course, I am not going to use them to weigh candy - but the workmanship is absolutely lovely and the scales actually work. Now I've got to come up with a creative way to display them without my home looking like a flea market!

You'll probably really hate this idea then - but I like it. I have stainless steel appliances and I think that silver plate can really look good with stainless steel:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Mt7WpPfMsx...ilver+nita.jpg

Hmmm, this looks good too!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vTIKYt8TCr...0/IMG_5209.JPG

Fun, fun, fun. And I love the idea of using small silver/silver plate pitchers and containers for vases:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-V5BQmRpbEe...sypitcherB.JPG

I found a beautiful silver (not silver plate) mirror from the 1920s or 1930s recently at a resale store in the boonies of Arkansas.

I also found this temple menorah - in the trash. I'm not Jewish but that didn't stop me from displaying it!

Here's a collection of mostly religious items that are antiques (or in the case of the print, vintage -the print is from the 1930s). The crucifix is from France and is about 140 years old. The communion chalice is from Germany and is about 120 years old. The praying hands were my grandmother's.

I like to group small collections of interesting and old things with history together.

Quote:
Sort of reminds me of the Texas clock on the wall in the kitchen on 'King of the Hill'.

JMHO.
Sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about. I think that show is ridiculous so I don't watch it - but of course that's JMHO.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-30-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Now - does anyone have any ideas about actually decorating with silver and silver plate?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 PM

9,532 posts, read 10,841,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Now - does anyone have any ideas about actually decorating with silver and silver plate?
Aren't you already doing it? I like your small groupings; I believe a touch of silver or gold plate in each would add something.

Silver plate often looks better than sterling because the siver in the plating has a higher fineness.

Don't worry about the nasty remarks of one poster. Silver plate is very collectible and certainly does not make you a redneck as he implies.

That mirror must be worth a bunch but what burglar would think you had a sterling looking glass?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Aren't you already doing it? I like your small groupings; I believe a touch of silver or gold plate in each would add something.

Silver plate often looks better than sterling because the siver in the plating has a higher fineness.

Don't worry about the nasty remarks of one poster. Silver plate is very collectible and certainly does not make you a redneck as he implies.

That mirror must be worth a bunch but what burglar would think you had a sterling looking glass?
LOL, thank you!

I wish the photo was of my house, but it's from a blog. I just thought it was really beautiful.

Actually, I have a couple of great places to check for silver plate and that sort of thing - junk/vintage/antique stores. So I went today, with this idea in mind. But I was actually very uninspired by what I found.

I also realized something else about myself - I am naturally drawn to color and though I love the patina of silver, I default to more colorful stuff.

I had an area above my buffet that I wanted to hang a collection of SOMETHING around. Well, after digging around all day long in all sorts of dust and nooks and crannies, and getting several women who worked at or owned the shops to help me, I found an interesting focal point and worked a theme from there.

The cool thing is - none of these items was pricey, or very valuable for that matter, individually. But I LOVED the look cumulatively! Here's what I came up with (please excuse the nativity set on the buffet - usually there is a Roseville vase there instead):

Before (buffet with it's usual vase and lamps - will revert back to this after the holidays) - nothing on the wall above or to the sides of the buffet. I felt it needed some sort of collection that had lots of oval or round shapes in it:

After - check out the cool things I found today!

Meanwhile, my oldest daughter is very much into sterling and silver plate. I told my mom this and this afternoon my mother called me and told me she had hit the mother lode of silver plate! For under $50 she got two platters, heavy matching candlesticks, a big dish on a stand, and some sort of very large silver plate bowl. Merry Christmas to my daughter!

Old 12-01-2012, 01:42 PM
miu

17,098 posts, read 34,524,599 times
Quote:
I read this thread last night and I wanted to have a good ponder on it. Then I worked all day today.

I must admit that I am not enamoured of this idea of hanging silverplated or sterling trays on a wall for decoration. And my two objections is that first, they tend to be very heavy for their size compared to other things such as pictures, plates and tole trays. Then, silverplate and sterling will tarnish being exposed to the air, and if they are hanging near a kitchen, they will tarnish even faster. And I do notice this as I do occasionally leave out small antique silverplated and solid sterling (or coin) silver pieces (goblets, serving pieces and spoons) around on my desk and shelves. And I really don't want to polish them much more than if I stored them in tarnish resistant bags or boxes. Every polishing takes away some silver on the surface. And with silverplate, it's an expensive process to replate an object, and it never is as nice as the plating from the factory.

What I hang on my walls tend to be framed art, pottery or porcelain plate, and the occasional toleware tray. Toleware is very light weight and can be found in many nice decorative colours. And at the local antique shows, I meet a lot of women who like to hang tole trays on their walls. So far, no one has mentioned hanging silverplate or sterling trays on their walls.

I think that some people in my New England area like to hang pewter plates on their walls.

And also, many things are displayed in china cabinets with glass doors. Some people don't like to hang things directly on their walls because they don't want to poke holes in their walls and they don't trust those 3M adhesive hooks. But different strokes ya know...

Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,914,265 times
Quote:
I think this is the next big thing when it comes to decorating - I'm seeing more and more silver and silver plate collections in decorating magazines. There are still many good pieces to be found at flea markets, antique and resale shops, etc.

Look at this great idea!

Maison Decor: Decorating with Silver

I'm about to go scavenging - any more ideas, anyone?

I love the way the silver wall display looks - and silver plate is not that expensive - it would be fun to compose a wall vignette like that - very charming. I do have lots of silver pieces (lots of silver trays of various shapes and sizes, covered vegetable servers, pitchers, tea pots, tons of beautiful casserole spoons, butter knives, compotes, dinner service, etc).... a few sterling pieces - mostly serving pieces and a beautiful 19th century English century teapot. I find bargains and have collected for many years.

Miu you do not seem to understand the popularity of cottage decor which often includes unusual uses of old imperfect tarnished silver. It is a look that quite a few of us on the decorating forum admire and there are countless decorating blogs, magazines and books that feature various themes on cottage and shabby chic decor. Also, large art and mirrors are very heavy and certainly silver plate trays are not any heavier than those objects. As far as poking holes in walls - I change my wall art quite often....that is what is so lovely about flat paint - very easy to fill holes, sand, paint and change up your wall displays all in one day - I do it all the time with flawless results. It is obvious from your remarks that have very limited knowledge of interior design.

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-01-2012 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 PM
miu

17,098 posts, read 34,524,599 times
Cattknap - I am speaking as a serious collector and dealer of antiques, and someone who has cleaned a LOT of silverplate and sterling silver. And... I do go to many of the important antique shows in my area, ones where the dealers have rented walls, papered them and displayed their wares as well as you'd find in any interior design magazine. And I've been collecting and dealing for over 25 years. So yes, I do feel that I have an excellent handle on creative decorating.

One of my favorite shows on hulu tv is a program called Special Spaces where they showcase many really beautiful and interesting interiors of over the top homes, and no I have not seen silverplated trays on any walls there.

And I do also know that if we all go right now to the newstands to open up all the current issues of the interior decorating magazines, we aren't going to see every page with pictures of silverplated trays on the walls.

So instead of trying to insult me, perhaps you should acknowledge that there are many differing tastes in interior decorating. And what is attractive to you and the OP may not appeal universally to others.

And in addition, it's sad what can happen to a good piece of sterling silver or silverplate when one lets it tarnish indefinitely... if someone later on tries to clean it up, with a sterling piece, the tarnish leaves uneven surface pitting. and with silverplate, the entire sterling surface treatment is complete eaten away by the oxidation/tarnish.

This forum is about collectibles and antiques, and I feel that it's my duty to at least speak for the protection and well being of antiques that might be special enough to preserve properly instead of being treated as a shabby chic piece of crap.

And... the OP did ask for our thoughts. Surely she wasn't naive enough to expect that everyone reading this forum would be 100% gung-ho with putting silverplate trays on their walls.

But for the record, I am very happy for the OP that she's having such a good time decorating her home. And it looks nice. But again, her style is not for me, and there's no reason to rush to the OP's defense or to put down my taste in how I prefer my home to look.

And I do like the OP's posts on this board, and my impression is that she's an intelligent, thoughtful and strong individual who isn't going to get her feelings hurt because some aren't in agreement with her interior decorating style. So... back off from jumping to her defense.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 PM

19,614 posts, read 18,687,569 times
My opinion, when I saw the picture of silver trays on the walls, all I could think about was who is going to polish them? Silver tarnishes. It looks horrible. Silver is not supposed to be black or streaked with black, it's supposed to be beautiful shining silver.

I have right next to me a little sterling box and yes, it needs to be polished. So does the base of the lamp that is some kind of silver. If you really appreciate silver, you need to respect it and keep it looking good. I'll get these two items polished, along with a small brass watering can that's becoming blackened, but it's not one of my favorites household chores.

My good silver is put away so that when I do use it, it will still be bright and silvery. I'm like mui regarding decorating--framed art, porcelain plates, china in a china cabinet behind glass where we can still see it but it's protected. I did like the idea of the silver (chafing dish holder?) made into a spice rack but again, it looks good until it tarnishes and then then fun begins. not.

I hope I'm not coming off as critical because I do enjoy creative decorating. I like it practical too, not a lot of upkeep and polishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques