U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,495,397 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have a fancy for these? I remember the first jar I came across, I guess I was 16 years old or so. It was just an old canning jar and I filled it with marbles and I put some fabric on the lid and screwed the band on. After that, old jars always caught my eye, especially the colored ones.

I bought a half gallon sized ball jar on the side of the road one day at a vegetable stand. It was aqua with the glass lid and metal bale. You would think I won the lottery!

I brought it home and filled it with potpourri and wrapped a ribbon around the neck. I always smiled everytime I saw it. I don't know why. Maybe it reminded me of my grandma or canning with my dad.

I moved and that large jar got left behind but I bought another one almost just like it this past week. I think the other one may have been wide mouthed and the glass lid is shaped a little differently.

My SO gave me flowers the first day we met and they had a ribbon wrapped around them, a very pretty blue. He has asked me all this time why I have held onto it. I knew it would find its place!

It is a Ball Ideal canning jar from July 14, 1908. Aqua.

Anyone else like the old colored jars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM

32,378 posts, read 59,846,787 times
I use them for canning, so yes, you could say I collect them.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I use them for canning, so yes, you could say I collect them.
Well, I had some for canning, but they weren't over a hundred years old. To think of all of the ones my grandma and others had that were tossed out, used for target practice, etc....

Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM

44,803 posts, read 36,186,607 times
I do like old jars - and old milk bottles too. I don't have many but I really like the ones I have. Every once in awhile I'll find one and bring it home. Mine are mostly on top of my cabinets with my baskets and antique tins and coffee grinders, that sort of thing.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,225,524 times
I wish I could find some of the old bailing wire style canning jars. Here in the big bad city, it seems people stopped canning a good 50 years before they stopped in the sticks.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
I wish I could find some of the old bailing wire style canning jars. Here in the big bad city, it seems people stopped canning a good 50 years before they stopped in the sticks.
I only find them in old stores or antique type places. Actually I have a hard time finding the bail type. I bought my most recent one on Etsy.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I do like old jars - and old milk bottles too. I don't have many but I really like the ones I have. Every once in awhile I'll find one and bring it home. Mine are mostly on top of my cabinets with my baskets and antique tins and coffee grinders, that sort of thing.
That sounds really pretty...

Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM

16,955 posts, read 22,271,168 times
I've got hundreds. I use them for canning too, except a few very rare early ones. I was at a barn sale last summer and there were literally thousands in crates in there I could have taken for free, but I didn't have the place to put them all. It would have taken a while to sell off the common ones. I did bring home a few early ones, but someone else beat me to some unusual colored ones (evidently they had some vaseline glass canning jars, but I never saw them myself).

Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I've got hundreds. I use them for canning too, except a few very rare early ones. I was at a barn sale last summer and there were literally thousands in crates in there I could have taken for free, but I didn't have the place to put them all. It would have taken a while to sell off the common ones. I did bring home a few early ones, but someone else beat me to some unusual colored ones (evidently they had some vaseline glass canning jars, but I never saw them myself).
A barn sale. Wow, that sounds really exciting. I can think to back when I was younger, these things were just sitting around. Now no one in my family has them or collects them. I guess I am the only one.

I just told my bf its better than liking Coach purses.... =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques