U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose what you would buy. multiple choice.
Classic Cars, all transportation, motorized 12 22.22%
Original paintings, drawings, etchings, sculptures 17 31.48%
Arts and Crafts, Quilts, Folk Art, Knittery 4 7.41%
Holiday or Event related 0 0%
Religious or Occult related 1 1.85%
Antique/Rare Books, scrolls, cartography 10 18.52%
Scientific, measurement, navigational 2 3.70%
all Nautical, Ship related, Fishing, Canoes, Kayaks 2 3.70%
Timepieces, Watches, Clocks, Sundials, etc. 6 11.11%
Coins, Currencies, Scripophily 11 20.37%
Celebrity belongings, autographs, letters, etc. 1 1.85%
Tiffany, Fixtures, Stained glass, Lamps, Gaslight 9 16.67%
Native American, Indigenous, Ethnic, Archaeological 1 1.85%
Antique Guns, Cannons, Ammo, Bows, Hunting 7 12.96%
Antique Blade Weapons, Armour 3 5.56%
War memoribilia, uniforms, insignia 2 3.70%
Photography, Daguerreotype, Ambrotype, Tintype 3 5.56%
Political, Governmental memoribilia 1 1.85%
Reel films, projection, silver screen, scripts 1 1.85%
Vintage musical instruments 3 5.56%
Sheet music, CD's, LP's, 78's, 33's, 45's, phonographic 5 9.26%
Gemstones and Jewelry 7 12.96%
Pottery, Vases, Kiln-fired, Ceramics 5 9.26%
Flatware, Dining service, bedside service, travel service 4 7.41%
Wines, spirits and accessories 0 0%
Trendy fads and crazes of the past 0 0%
Classic childrens toys, dolls, dollhouses 3 5.56%
Apparel of any kind, Designer goods 1 1.85%
Comic Books, Fanboy, Animation, Fantasy/SciFi 2 3.70%
Arcade games, Pinball, Billiards, all Gaming 5 9.26%
Fossils, Animal Parts, Taxidermy, Entomology, Botany 0 0%
Royalty memoribilia 1 1.85%
Crime memoribilia 0 0%
just a giant hoard of nothing special 5 9.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 PM

9,985 posts, read 6,740,631 times

Advertisements

Multiple Choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM

oh gawd. i see someone asked for rugs.

Sorry. If the Rug is an Ethnic piece, it can go there
such as only Indian rugs.
If it's not ethnic, then it can go in Quilts/Knittery

Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,927,403 times
Rugs under quilts and knitting?? Hmmmm.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM
miu

17,105 posts, read 34,558,425 times
You should also ask the poll participants whether they would be buying for just the joy of ownership or as a possible investment.

Also, if it were me, I would be buying very carefully and slowly... not rushing out to spend $50K quickly. I enjoy the hunt for antiques. I savour each purchase as I clean and research the items. I would also probably enjoy travelling around the US and Europe to find my future treasures. I would be less likely to turn to specialized dealers and auctions to buy what I am seeking... and that would help stretch out the $50K so I could buy more antiques.

And my first purchase would be a really minty version of my 1994 Honda Civic hatchback with 400K miles. It's my favorite road trip car and it makes miles between each antique shop and show very enjoyable to drive.

I tend to collect antique silver, American and European art pottery, jewelry, and vintage electric guitars... but I have a bit of everything in my collection.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You should also ask the poll participants whether they would be buying for just the joy of ownership or as a possible investment.

Also, if it were me, I would be buying very carefully and slowly... not rushing out to spend $50K quickly. I enjoy the hunt for antiques. I savour each purchase as I clean and research the items. I would also probably enjoy travelling around the US and Europe to find my future treasures. I would be less likely to turn to specialized dealers and auctions to buy what I am seeking... and that would help stretch out the $50K so I could buy more antiques.

And my first purchase would be a really minty version of my 1994 Honda Civic hatchback with 400K miles. It's my favorite road trip car and it makes miles between each antique shop and show very enjoyable to drive.

I tend to collect antique silver, American and European art pottery, jewelry, and vintage electric guitars... but I have a bit of everything in my collection.
If you are looking for a minty version of a 1994 Honda, it's probably going to be
at least 15 years before that goes up in value.
Really, I just wanted to have a popularity poll, I hope participation is high, although
compared to other threads at CD, the Hobbies subforum isn't that popular, which I
don't understand.
Are you aware of any good polling concerning what types of Ant/Col's are most popular ?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 PM
miu

Actually, clean examples of 1992-95 Civic hatchbacks are increasing in value...

So what are you so curious about what antiques and collectibles are the most popular?

What do you collect?

Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Actually, clean examples of 1992-95 Civic hatchbacks are increasing in value...

So what are you so curious about what antiques and collectibles are the most popular?

What do you collect?
If you see those early 90s Hondas with very low mileage picking up in value,
then fine.. but it's still a little early for cars in the 1990s to become collectible.
I go by the 25+ year rule of thumb in cars.. for example, around 2005 we started
to see people charging more for cars from the 70's in workable condition, whereas in
the 90's people were just sending them off to junkyards.
I have some stuff, but mainly I'm interested in seeing what is most popular
for stocking or investment reasons.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 PM
miu

I just happen to love Civic hatches. And a lot of other people do too. It's a very well designed car that is also reliable and goes forever. My current hatch has over 400K miles on it, so naturally I'd love a minty one to drive. I wouldn't be buying it as an investment. I just want to be able to keep driving one for the rest of me life!

Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I have some stuff, but mainly I'm interested in seeing what is most popular
for stocking or investment reasons.
^^ To this, I just want to say that if you are buying for investment purposes, DON'T go by what others are buying!!! I hate when the "experts" on the Antiques Roadshow tell the owner that what they own is a good investment. The antiques market is always in flux. Values go up and down depending on what people are collecting and also how much new inventory is coming into the marketplace. Too much inventory being for sale at once will always drive down the selling price.

In the 30 years I've been collecting, I've seen certain antiques and collectibles go up and down in value. It's much like the stock market where again, don't buy and sell based on what others are doing.

Honestly, I only buy what I fall in love with. I don't count on any of it to bring me some great profit years from now. I do like a good bargain. So yes, I will buy things that are way cheap for what they are currently selling for. I don't pay the going price for much. I'd rather just wait for good luck to find things that are underpriced. And to that, if I am on a hunt for certain antiques and hoping to find them underpriced... I certainly don't want to tell my friends and others (like here on your poll) what I am collecting. Why add to the competition to find them??

And in general, if one were to consider investment purchases, those would be for the best examples of a quality antique and in their original condition, and then to hide them away from public view for several decades. And top dollars at auction usually go to items that are amazing examples of a rare item, particularly if it is fresh to the market and from the estate of the family that originally bought it when new. Then, with an "investment" antique or collectible, if it needs to be secured safely and in a particular way, then factor in the cost of special storage and also possible the added fees for yearly insurance premiums. And all that can add up to offset the actual profit when one is going to sell it.

I also find that if one has to sell an antique or collectible for a quick cash out, then it's difficult to get the top value for it. Some pieces only get the best price through auction at a top auction house and at one of their specialty sales. So that auction can be many months away, plus one loses on the auction house commission and fees... and they charge extra for good photographs in the catalogue and a LOT to be featured on the catalogue cover.

Also, in regards to an antique or collectible investment portfolio, with a $50K budget, it would be best to buy only a few items (perhaps ten or less) than many smaller items. That way, selling them in the future would require less effort in time and fees.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM

miu, I already know everything you said.
you say that you are unwilling to talk about what you
are actually interested in, that's too private.
I can understand that, but it doesn't make for a very
interesting conversation. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques