U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:33 PM

2,980 posts, read 1,988,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
Have you ever seen any 70s wall decor, particularly by a company called HODA. I remember they made things like massive keys to hang in your living room. or my personal favorite, a hideous-looking frog sitting on a lily pad with cat tails surrounding it. All of it was made out of cheap, hard plastic. CLASSY!

We had it in every room because my mom sold it for a few years.

I just remembered something I was going to post earlier....with Brown being 'in' these days, don't you think Fiesta should offer something much lighter than the discontinued Chocolate? But much darker than the Ivorry.....maybe a medium-dark khaki? The two new colors last year were Sage and Slate. I love them both and Slate works well with a lot of brighter colors, but the Sage could use a nice earthtone to go with it......

One other thought, this year is the 30th anniversary of current (or post '86) Fiesta. I wonder if they'll do anything col or offer any special item(s) to commemorate?

That's all for me tonight.....have a great one!

I remember giant spoons....

But I may be in deep trouble, with a new obssession, I mean, interest (yeah, that's it...):

Snack sets.

Because one of my glass snack plates has a chip. The horror.

I thought I saw that Fiesta had them, or used to make them. I like the idea of mixing and matching. But I'd settle for McCoy, Pfaltzgraff, even Corelle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:58 PM

1,084 posts, read 833,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I remember giant spoons....

But I may be in deep trouble, with a new obssession, I mean, interest (yeah, that's it...):

Snack sets.

Because one of my glass snack plates has a chip. The horror.

I thought I saw that Fiesta had them, or used to make them. I like the idea of mixing and matching. But I'd settle for McCoy, Pfaltzgraff, even Corelle.
What exactly is a snack set? You mentioned a glass snack plate, what color is it and are you wanting to replace the chipped snack plate that you have? If so, have you ever checked out Replacements.com? If not, it is an AWESOME site for all kinds of china, pottery and collectibles. You can buy piece by piece from one of thousands of patterns and, if they don't have your exact item in stock, they will try to locate it for you then send you a price for you to accept for decline. I've bought quite a few pieces including Fiesta that they had marked down for physical imperfections or small chips (you'd be amazed how easily a chip can disappear with the right color Sharpie and if you display it on top of the cabinets where no one can examine it)!

I have also sold to Replacements, Inc. in thd past. When my mom wanted to unload her lovely (not so much) Ponderosa Pine dishes from 'Tiara',they piad a decent price for them. I'm just amazed that there are people actually searching for them!? I am a bit biased, I'm not crazy about dishes that are clear glass, I don't dishes without some interesting shapes and details and, most of all, I don't like any dishes with big ol' pinecones embossed into the sides of every item! The line was clear, but a few months into production, they produced them in light green for a few months and never explained why and no one knows how those got into circulation. The light green makes them slightly less hideous, tut not by much....

I will never forget the Corelle plate my mom had when we were growing up. It fascinated me that they were so break-resistant. Of course, I went out on the concrete patio determined to break one and when I finally succeeded, it didn't just shatter, it exploded into thousands of tiny shards!

My sister god married in 1994 during the hardcore days of mixing Burgundy, Navy Blue and Hunter Green. To this day, she has burgundy counter tops in her kitchen and I just helped her(and by helped, I mean I did all on my own) take down the "Waverly Ivy" wallpaper in the kitchen and dining room. But those countdrs need to gon now...

BTW, if anything I have said above makes no sense,i it isn't my fault! I had a bit of an accident yesterday morning. I took the day off and my mom's best friend me at mom's at 9am. Mom was on her way to get her "hair did" so the two of us tore into taking down all four freakin' tress, garland and lights inside and out and lots of odds and ends Mom has a designated walk-in Christmas closet in the basement, so I headed down with the two largest sections of the tree. When I got near the bottom, I thought I was stepping onthe carpeted basement floor, but I still had another step go! I twisted my left ankle and it's swollen to the size of a softball. But I already have pain in my right hip and leg intermittently. But since the fall Friday morning, my right hip is agonizing!

I'll overshare here for a moment- In 2005, when I was 30, I had emergency surgery on my cervical spine due to one disc rupturing and another one severely herniated. They access the discs form the front by making an incision about 2" long in your throat. Then they pull everything aside (trachea, esophagus,etc) to get to the c-spine. Once they take the bad discs out,they put tiny little cages back in place of them. The use several powdered forms of protein and calcium and the need some one marrow to finish it off they put titanium plates on both sides of the mess and secured them with titanium screws in each vertebrae to secure it.

The 'bone marrow' that I mentioned comes from one of two sources= Most people choose to go with 'cadaver' bone but the recovery period, success rate and infection rate are all much lower if you use your own bone marrow. I chose to use my own rather than some harvested from any random corpse! The part they don't emphasize is that they cut a hold about the size of a quarter into your hip to harvest it! And the surgeon told me t my fist follow-up that I would have arthritis in hat hip within 10years. Arthritis set in for me about seven years after surgery, but it is geting worse as I skid int m 40s!

Back to the aforementioned mishap while taking down Christmas decorations. When I missed that last step and twisted my right ankle, guess which hips I land (the right one, where the quarter-sized hole had been drilled). Long story short,I'm awake at 2am and not hurting because the doctor gave me Demerol yesterday. It makes things much more comfortable, as does sitting/laying on a gel ice pack. But it also keeps me awake...but then I wouldn't be awake too enjoyt he buzz! =)

Old 01-17-2016, 09:00 AM

Oh, yikes.....feel betta, Zoom!

I found this... And am now re-shuffling some kitchen goods to display more of my 'stuff.'

And as for snack plates...this.

Which I immediately put to use with guac and chips! I have one milk glass set of three. Three bucks, flea market. The other set that had a teeny chip is clear glass, in a very common pattern, the kind you see everywhere.

The snack plates are also referred to as snack sets, luncheon plates, patio plates. Very, very MCM. Fiesta did make some. The first place I looked was Replacements, but did not see them. Did see a couple on fleabay for far more than I'm willing to pay at the moment.

PS: I think the discussion should also include vintage tablecloths.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:47 AM

I also need to confess that I have a thing for soup plates---what the rest of the world probably refers to as 'rimmed soup bowls.'

Three of mine are Fiesta: one Scarlet, one mmmaybeee Marigold? Mustard? Sunflower? The third, Ivory. Which shows every utensil mark.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I also need to confess that I have a thing for soup plates---what the rest of the world probably refers to as 'rimmed soup bowls.'

Three of mine are Fiesta: one Scarlet, one mmmaybeee Marigold? Mustard? Sunflower? The third, Ivory. Which shows every utensil mark.
You should post a pic of the Fiesta ones. If they're vintage, the yellow one is probably just Yellow, but if it's a Post-'86 piece, it could be Yellow, Sunflower or Marigold. Is the Ivory the one that shows the utensil marks? Is it a 'vintage' piece (Ivory was made 1936-1951) or modern (Ivory has been made since 2008 to the present, I think)?

I'm hoping it's not the new Ivory because I'm planning to get my mom started on Fiestaware with a mix of Sage and Ivory. She isn't much for 'bright colors'.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
You should post a pic of the Fiesta ones. If they're vintage, the yellow one is probably just Yellow, but if it's a Post-'86 piece, it could be Yellow, Sunflower or Marigold. Is the Ivory the one that shows the utensil marks? Is it a 'vintage' piece (Ivory was made 1936-1951) or modern (Ivory has been made since 2008 to the present, I think)?

I'm hoping it's not the new Ivory because I'm planning to get my mom started on Fiestaware with a mix of Sage and Ivory. She isn't much for 'bright colors'.

Modern, I'm afraid..and Marigold (I just looked it up, lol.)

The Marigold plate from the same meal was mark-free. I'm not happy, either, because I like the color, and have a larger Ivory bowl, too. I think they called it a Chowder Bowl. Almost all of my Fiesta so far came from Amazon or a restaurant supply house. So, yup, all modern.

Ivory and Sage would be brilliant.

Oh, wait...did I post this link before? I'm already scrambling to put some of her ideas to use.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Modern, I'm afraid..and Marigold (I just looked it up, lol.)

The Marigold plate from the same meal was mark-free. I'm not happy, either, because I like the color, and have a larger Ivory bowl, too. I think they called it a Chowder Bowl. Almost all of my Fiesta so far came from Amazon or a restaurant supply house. So, yup, all modern.

Ivory and Sage would be brilliant.

Oh, wait...did I post this link before? I'm already scrambling to put some of her ideas to use.
I really hate that about the Ivory. They should introduce another neutral/earthy color to pair with Sage....maybe Taupe or Khaki or even the right shade of Terra Cotta could work!

I like the shape of the Chowder Bowls. I have the Medium Bistro Bowls.

Have you ever bought from Webstaurantstore.com? They have great prices if you want to buy in bulk (usually 4, 8 or 12 of the same color). Even though I'm an Amazon Prime-freak, usually I find better deals on Fiesta at Macys.com or Kohls.com if they're on sale (which they are most of the time). I've also ordered from Bon-Ton (bonton.com) even though I've never seen or heard of Bon-Ton dept store before. And the Fiesta Factory Direct Outlet usually has decent prices and, obviously, the largest selection.

I'm driving to Pittsburgh on Feb 10 to spend my b-day with my best friend. The Fiesta Factory and Outlet Store is only 45 minutes from his house, so I will definitely be going. There's also another place called Everything Fiesta about two hours south of Pittsburgh and they sell 2nds as well.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:12 AM

I. Am. Jealous! Have a great time.

Not much hunting here until spring, so I have to content myself with:

Things like this.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:46 PM

32,307 posts, read 59,530,406 times
Quote:
It's kinda sad that there are so many Fiesta collectors/fanatics and there isn't a forum for us to interact.]
Ever heard of Facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Like this, for example. As you can see, it is still very affordable.
Early Brush-McCoy Pottery Co. Fawn Vase Green Matte Molted Glaze Double Eared
That's really nice! I've picked up a few McCoy and Hull matte pieces over the years, mostly flowerpots and vases. I'm running out of display space!

Old 07-23-2017, 02:32 PM

9,156 posts, read 8,623,070 times
Quote:
I really hate that about the Ivory.
I find the marks come off easily if I use either Bon Ami or Barkeepers Friend. I make a paste with water, leave it on the plate for 30 minutes, scrub it off (I use Dobie pads), and voila, clean Fiesta.

Quote:
They should introduce another neutral/earthy color to pair with Sage....maybe Taupe or Khaki or even the right shade of Terra Cotta could work!
I haven't seen them together in person, but I've wondered whether Claret would be a nice complement to Sage and Ivory. There's a retired color, Paprika, that might work, too—it's kind of terra cotta-ish—but I hate it the way you hated that red Mazda color.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques