U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 04:24 PM

18,598 posts, read 23,156,163 times

Advertisements

Have any of you Fiesta Ware collectors been to the outlet in West Virginia?

I haven't but I'd like to go this Summer. If you are interested, send me a direct message. We could have a meet up there. I think it would be fun!

I live in Ohio, so it isn't far for me. It's also close to others who live in the Eastern Midwest, Middle Atlantic, Virginia and the Carolinas,and the in-land mid-south.

Let's shop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 PM

11,382 posts, read 20,186,364 times
I've been - worth it I guess if you can't find a specific color/item (they also have a "misfit" room.... lots of seconds w/flaws)

Old 02-26-2016, 01:46 AM

1,084 posts, read 839,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Have any of you Fiesta Ware collectors been to the outlet in West Virginia?

I haven't but I'd like to go this Summer. If you are interested, send me a direct message. We could have a meet up there. I think it would be fun!

I live in Ohio, so it isn't far for me. It's also close to others who live in the Eastern Midwest, Middle Atlantic, Virginia and the Carolinas,and the in-land mid-south.

Let's shop!
I realize this posting is almost two years old, but just in case you haven't made the trip yet....

I highly recommend visiting the Homer Laughlin Factory and onsite Fiesta Outlet. The tour takes you through a lot of the factory and it is amazing to see how much work goes into a lot of pieces.

The Outlet prices for 1st quality items aren't that great in general. But the 'Seconds Room" is well worth the trip! Most items are sold for 20-25% of retail value and the vast majority only have minor flaws. Definitely a great deal.

Homer Laughlin also owns a company called Hall China located across the Ohio River in East Liverpool, Ohio. (a 15-minute drive, max). They have an outlet called 'The Hall Closet' which also carries some 2nd quality Fiesta items. They also some Fiesta Mates, which are non-Fiesta items glazed in Fiesta colors.

Finally, depending on where you're coming from and where you'll be staying, there is a third Outlet Store called "Everything Fiesta" in Sutton, WV. It's located right off I-79 at Exit 67 (Flatwoods) in the Flatwoods Factory Outlet Stores. They also have a great 2nds room.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:05 AM

5,914 posts, read 5,264,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I realize this posting is almost two years old, but just in case you haven't made the trip yet....

I highly recommend visiting the Homer Laughlin Factory and onsite Fiesta Outlet. The tour takes you through a lot of the factory and it is amazing to see how much work goes into a lot of pieces.

The Outlet prices for 1st quality items aren't that great in general. But the 'Seconds Room" is well worth the trip! Most items are sold for 20-25% of retail value and the vast majority only have minor flaws. Definitely a great deal.

Homer Laughlin also owns a company called Hall China located across the Ohio River in East Liverpool, Ohio. (a 15-minute drive, max). They have an outlet called 'The Hall Closet' which also carries some 2nd quality Fiesta items. They also some Fiesta Mates, which are non-Fiesta items glazed in Fiesta colors.

Finally, depending on where you're coming from and where you'll be staying, there is a third Outlet Store called "Everything Fiesta" in Sutton, WV. It's located right off I-79 at Exit 67 (Flatwoods) in the Flatwoods Factory Outlet Stores. They also have a great 2nds room.
I have never seen much in the seconds room. Once a person I know bought me quite a bit from the seconds room. It was mostly junk. They were happy and I was just wondering what I was going to do with it. A collector doesn't want seconds.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:21 AM

3,002 posts, read 2,001,753 times
But us users do.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
But us users do.
You beat me to it. I use seconds (with imperfections so minor one would need a magnifying glass) and they make a nice appearance on my table. That's all I care about.

I keep the good stuff away, or I take it out on special occasions. Seconds are perfect for every day.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post

No. I never have. And I still want to go! Spring is coming and I think it would be a wonderful time to make the trip! I think the seconds are great for everyday use.

I've never heard of Fiesta Mates?

Thanks for all of this interesting information.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No. I never have. And I still want to go! Spring is coming and I think it would be a wonderful time to make the trip! I think the seconds are great for everyday use.

I've never heard of Fiesta Mates?

Thanks for all of this interesting information.
Spring (after snow is over) would definitely be a good time to go. Would you be driving or flying (into Pittsburgh or possibly Cleveland)? My best friend (of 28 years) transferred to Pittsburgh last August after living in North Georgia all of his life. I went up for Thanksgiving and I was surprised by how green and pretty it was in Southwestern PA and Eastern Ohio was even nicer. I flew up for that visit, but I drove up for a 12-day stay leaving on February 10th. I had planned to drive all the way to Pittsburgh (about 680 miles) on the 10th, but I ran into a snow storm as I crossed the TN/VA border. It took me nine hours just to reach Wytheville, VA where I stopped for the night with 310 miles left to go. For the rest of the drive and the following week in Pittsburgh the weather was nasty. I made the trek from Pittsburgh to the Fiesta Outlet/Factory with about eight inches of snow on the ground. I learned that West Virginia doesn't clear their roads as quickly and as well as the much more populated states surrounding them. I always have to learn things that hard way!

If/when you go, 'The Museum of Ceramics' is also located in East Liverpool. The area was known as 'The Pottery Capital of the World' from around 1850 to 1930. There's a lot of cool info about the history of the area and they have a nice Fiesta display also.

As far as buying seconds go, the slightly flawed pieces are great for daily use. But if you're willing to invest the time and effort, you'd be surprised how many pieces could pass for first quality. Take a microfiber cloth (and if you're a total geek like me, a little bit of Wright's Copper Cream, which is great for removing marks from the glaze on Fiesta) and you'll find pieces that can be made to look perfect! You may spend a good bit of time digging, but if your back doesn't hurt when you leave the Outlet, you aren't doing something right!

Once in a while, they find a pallet or two of old first quality Fiesta (as old as 10-11 years old I've been told) and offer it for sale in the Outlet. It's usually covered in years of dust and dirt, but it's a steal. They had a pallet of Persimmon (discontinued in 2008) large vegetable bowls when I was there. I got four of them for $5 each.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:08 PM

Default What color would look best with Lapis?

I could actually use some advice/suggestions on color. One of the reasons that a lot of Fiesta colors appeal to me is because I am color blind. Technically, I'm red-green color blind so I have a hard time distinguishing many shades of red, green and other colors. I am a big fan of primary color (red, blue, yellow), but secondary (purple, orange and green) and beyond can be tough for me.

I was thrilled when they came out with Lapis because I love blue and it is definitely a true blue. All of the Fiesta that I use daily is Lapis. I'm glad that they discontinued Peacock because it's very hard for me to distinguish between the two.

But the whole point of Fiesta, at least in my opinion, is to mix colors! I want a second color to start mixing in with the dishes and serving pieces that I use regularly. Sunflower is a possibility because I can actually see it! =) I also love Poppy, at least I love how it looks to me. Even though I have trouble with reds, I can see a true red (what I've always called "Fire Engine Red") and I can see that Scarlet is definitely red. But I have a friend who loves the Paprika color and it looks a lot like Scarlet to me, even though I know it's much darker. I wish they still had the old Yellow, more pale than Sunflower, but it was discontinued in 2002.

Anyway, what color do you think would be most complimentary to Lapis?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 03-05-2016, 05:19 PM

3,002 posts, read 2,001,753 times
Color choices...such a personal thing. And I'd really have to study all the colors together, and then it would be MY preferences, which may not be yours. And mine would be to have all shades of blue, if I was starting with blue.

Complimentary. There. You said it. I tend to go more monochromatic, unless they're citrus colors. White or ivory may be somewhat too contrasty. And if you have trouble with greens....maybe yellow?

Paprika seems like a dark brick-burgundy. I think I have to gaze at the Fiesta color page again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques