U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 02:46 PM

10,364 posts, read 8,365,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I collect cut crystal as well... items pre-1920 or so. I agree that most thrift stores have the junk pressed-glass stuff... My family has been collecting the cut product for a couple of generations... One thing you need to be careful about is the stresses in the glass due to its cutting...once I put a pickle tray in the refrigerator, and the rapid temperature drop caused it to shatter into little pieces.
There are good pieces out there still to find in thrift stores, they just are getting harder to find. The easiest way to find them is at an estate sale of a little old lady, who got the stuff from her mom.
True - but not all pressed glass is junky: see Early American Pattern Glass. Dating back to the mid-nineteenth century, it comes in thousands of patterns and table pieces, and is still very affordable in general. It often sneaks in with the much later junky stuff, but once you recognize it, it's easy to pick out by looking for three-part mold lines, a certain color of the "colorless" glass, bell-like tones when struck, and of course, all those pretty patterns. It's still very functional, too - cranberry sauce looks great in EAPG, so have a look, and set your table as did Mary Todd Lincoln this Thanksgiving!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,309,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
True - but not all pressed glass is junky: see Early American Pattern Glass. Dating back to the mid-nineteenth century, it comes in thousands of patterns and table pieces, and is still very affordable in general. It often sneaks in with the much later junky stuff, but once you recognize it, it's easy to pick out by looking for three-part mold lines, a certain color of the "colorless" glass, bell-like tones when struck, and of course, all those pretty patterns. It's still very functional, too - cranberry sauce looks great in EAPG, so have a look, and set your table as did Mary Todd Lincoln this Thanksgiving!
I agree....
Used to collect ruby glass, had 900 pieces, and the 'old stuff' had flaws in it from when they rolled the glass in straw to cool it off... But that is not pressed... pressed glass started in the 1820's... finding good 'carnival glass' is difficult.
Look here: Pressed glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But:
It WAS junky, as the labor involved was minimal, and its (current) collectability is due purely due to age (or owned by someone famous), not craftsmanship. You see it at a lot of thrift stores because it has relatively little value, due to the large production numbers. Mine all went to Goodwill before it ever entered the house. Cut glass takes a lot of work, it gives beauty, but at the cost of labor. You don't find a classic cut nut tray at a thrift store for $5 unless the seller is clueless. (I must admit, I am getting tired of whirling star, cut, not pressed). But the weight, 'ring sound' and overall shimmer in light makes it worthy of being on display. Just don't ever put it in the dishwasher, smack it on granite countertops, etc... just like anything else that is delicate, yet formal.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:43 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,292,892 times
I got a 78 today

Bing Crosby - Ill be home for christmas/Faith of our fathers

Old 11-25-2013, 10:24 PM

44,381 posts, read 35,877,934 times
I have been on the prowl for about a year for vintage paint by number paintings that AREN'T horses, cowboys, or beach scenes. Well, I hit the mother lode in Mountain View, AR at a junk shop this past week! I found these two beautiful 16 x 20 paintings, framed - for $9 each! I'm posting pictures of some of the details on the paintings as well. I love them!

Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Boy those are VERY PRETTY!!!!!!

Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 AM

44,381 posts, read 35,877,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Boy those are VERY PRETTY!!!!!!
Thank you - I was THRILLED!

Old 11-26-2013, 11:21 AM

19,640 posts, read 18,705,298 times
As for cut glass, we have a thrift store in town that has amazing stuff, most of it not cheap but not that expensive either. About a week ago I went in there and it was all decorated and lit up for Christmas with a preponderance of CUT GLASS. Heavy, sharp intricate cut glass!

People just don't value it the way they used to. I think they confuse it with the junky glass that is everywhere today. There were tables of sparkling cut glass, beautifully arranged. I almost bought a 9" cut glass narrow jar? with a stopper--but I don't have any more room in my house.

All of it was gone when I went a few days later. What happens around here is that we have a glut of antique dealers and they will pile in and load up their vans with anything they can sell. I'm glad to know that they are probably the ones who bought it and that probably it will end up in good homes where it will be loved. (I'm not so happy when I get there right after the antique dealers, knowing I may have missed something I would have bought.)

Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 PM

I got 3 records today!!

1) Led Zepplin - The First Album
2) A 78: Hank Williams - Ramblin' Man/Take these chains from my heart (WOW,2 EXCELLENT SONGS!!!!!!!)
3) A 78: Bing Crosby - Silent night/Oh Come All Ye Faithful

Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 PM

I got 2 78s today!!! (Both country)

1) Slim Whitman - When i grow too old to dream/Cattle call
2) Carl Smith - Old lonesome times/There she goes

I love 78s.. Of all records THEY SOUND THE NICEST due to them being in mono and the speed they are traveling at!!

Old 11-29-2013, 07:23 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,309,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I got 2 78s today!!! (Both country)

1) Slim Whitman - When i grow too old to dream/Cattle call
2) Carl Smith - Old lonesome times/There she goes

I love 78s.. Of all records THEY SOUND THE NICEST due to them being in mono and the speed they are traveling at!!

Oh geez...
I have literally hundreds of 78's (i.e. early Victrola era), such as originals by Enrico Caruso et. al.
Can't even give them away. Not even sure if the youngsters of today know what real records are made from. With a noise figure that rivals the background noise of a Mack truck... the nostalgia is awesome, but the fidelity is, well, for its day awesome, but nowadays they make a great display piece in a game room.

(You realize that in the movie 'Mars Attacks!', that the aliens' heads exploded when they heard Slim Whitman music) Just kidding (well, not really).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques