U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 01:23 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,353,321 times

Advertisements

I last got Bostons Second Album (Dont look back) Original Orange Epic Pressing (No barcode on the label)

I also have this cassette..

Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 PM

Today I purchased 4 Laurel and Hardy episodes on 1 VHS tape (I love that show and havent seen them in many years)

They are recorded in LP mode but they are OK.. (I knew it wouldnt be as good as SP but I love laurel and hardy and havent seen them in MANY YEARS!! -- These 4 shows have talking in them (Alot of thier shows do not (I DONT LIKE THOSE VERY MUCH)))

Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 PM

9,678 posts, read 15,855,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
You may find it hard to believe, but that doesn't matter... I lived it.
Goodwill only takes stuff they can sell.

Not to totally digress, as I tend to do, as this is a thread about collecting stuff at thrift stores.
As Randy Pausch (famous Carnegie Mellon professor, may he RIP) put it, "For the new generation, yes, there is such a thing as 'paper'. ;-)
I used to love going down in the stacks to look at all the really old books, and the smell of them. The look and feel of holding a book is awesome. A hand bookbinder nowadays is essentially called 'unemployed', perhaps except at a museum.

I hated to toss them, but I spent all the time I could to attempt to give them away. Even the Feynman lecture series got tossed. Hardcover books, though, are impractical today. If you have a lot of them, they take up a lot of space, are really heavy, cost a fortune to move, and they have no 'search' capability on almost any topic. Many libraries got rid of their card catalogs long ago (picked up one of them as they are great for parts storage in the shop). The electronics age is here, and has been for a while. You can get most important books online, and home storage of terabytes of data is dirt cheap. Haven't been to a library in about 15 years.

If you had wanted all the books, I would have sent them to you... the shipping charges would have been on you though.(actually freight delivery). Kept all the 1800's bibles, for sentimental reasons. Had to flip though all the pages of every book, looking for 'surprises'. Only thing I found was a $10 bill used as a bookmark ;-)

Also had a melodeon and old upright player piano. Often, unless it is a rare collectible, you have to pay to get rid of an upright player. After 3 months I finally found someone that would take it for free.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread on thrift stores.
If you still have those Bibles, there's some sort of matching service,that re-unites family Bibles with their current families. Most Bibles from that time period were used to keep records of birth, death, sometimes land purchases, etc. I'll search for it then post it here when I find it. I know many geneaologists would love to find a family Bible, or just the records pages.

Ok, here it is
http://www.cyndislist.com/lost/family-bibles/

Old 02-24-2014, 02:39 PM

I got 2 records today!!!!

1) Al stewart - YEAR OF THE CAT (Excellent album)

2) Def Leppard - PyroMania (This is a replacement for this album that I got in the 80s which I didnt take care of (Now it has scratches,skips,etc) -- Luckily its the same masterdisc copy (From our friend Bob Ludwig)) and I also got a VHS tape (Short Circuit (1986) I love this movie))

Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,329,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
If you still have those Bibles, there's some sort of matching service,that re-unites family Bibles with their current families. Most Bibles from that time period were used to keep records of birth, death, sometimes land purchases, etc. I'll search for it then post it here when I find it. I know many geneaologists would love to find a family Bible, or just the records pages.

Ok, here it is
Cyndi's List - Lost & Found - Family Bibles
Thanks for the pointer!

The old bibles we kept because they are directly in our family's heritage. Before my mom passed away, I picked her brain as to who the people were in the various pictures (including daguerreotypes), and the writings they wrote back to even before the civil war. Put many of them on DVD's. Most of the antiques are pre-1900. For narrow family trees, it doesn't take many generations for all that info to get lost. A few of the letters were written in an archaic version of German, so haven't had much luck getting them read.
Ultimately all this stuff is just being kept for sentimental value, but at least in this case, the next generation here couldn't care less about them, so they go to a museum or genealogists.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 PM

@ Salvation army alot of tapes came in today and I got 3!

1) Madonna - No name on it (Must be her first album)
2) In Excess - Kick
3) The Best of Kansas

I was quite sad to read in the details of this tape this about the first and last songs (THIER BEST OF ALL OF THEM)

"Remixed for this album using the dbx digital audio processor"

Both of those songs SOUNDED LIKE CRAP compared to the rest of the cassette!! (Carry on Wayward son and The Wall)

I was PISSED that they would COMPROMISE THIER MUSIC like that!!

I recorded BLANKNESS over both songs.... (Now there is a gap @ the start of side 1 and @ the end of side 2) -- TWO BEAUTIFUL SONGS RUINED BY THAT TRASH!!

If I can find both songs seperate,I will record them back onto the tape.. I dont wanna hear those songs compromised like that!! -- IDIOTS..

I also got PINK FLOYD - THE WALL on VHS! (An original release (Before they digitally compromised it)) That was quite good!!

Old 03-01-2014, 12:32 AM

11,263 posts, read 8,421,299 times
Pyrex, platters, clothes I can wear to work and then get rid of after a few wearings if I don't love them.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:35 PM

I got 3 cassettes on saturday

1) Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw and the Cooked
2) Sade - Diamond life
3) Foreigner - Records (A collection of thier music (77-82))

Thankfully I can listen to my cassettes IN MONO which is awesome!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:12 PM

I got 3 records on Monday

1) Kansas - Point of Know Return (1977) -- Doesnt sound too good. On the album it says "This album was aphex processed" -- I looked up "Aphex processing" and discovered what it is.... DOESNT MAKE IT SOUND BETTER IN MY OPINION!! (The cassette I have "The best of Kansas" sounds better!!)

I probably wont keep it...... (Its sad,people do stupid things to try and make stuff SOUND BETTER but in reality it makes it worse!!)

I hope they didnt mess up thier 1975 album like this (The one with "CARRY ON WAYWARD SON") Im still trying to find this one!!

2) Heart - Bebe Le Strange (1980)

3) Paul Simons Greatest Hits

I also got a 45!

Steely Dan - Only a fool/Reeling in the years (I have this song on my STEELY DAN 'GREATEST HITS' collection (2 record set))

First time I have heard ONLY A FOOL -- I like it!!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,332,190 times
I found a very pretty white and gold decorated candy dish or plate in perfect condition. It is stamped on the back "Havilland - Limoge."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques