U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 PM

1,796 posts, read 3,819,134 times

Advertisements

We downsized and I have several lines of collectible figurines that I need to sell. Does anybody know where I can go to sell them other than ebay? I do realize that figurines aren't really selling super well right now, but I have priced the collections really super cheap comparable to even original prices. I am wanting to sell them as complete "collections" because of the cheap pricing, but everybody seems to only want to cherry pick the best pieces but have them at the super cheap "total collection" prices. There are hundreds of them so I don't really want to deal with ebay and all that shipping, but is that going to be my only option?

We are talking things like Hallmark ornaments, Cherished Teddies figurines, Boyds Bearstones, Charming Tails figurines (most of these are artist signed/dated), and Walt Disney Classic Collection.

Any help or ideas would be very well appreciated!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 PM

9,985 posts, read 6,732,986 times
possibilities:

1. Make list and photos of it all, put on Craigslist.
2. Search Craigslist wanted section for possible buyers.
3. Consignment stores near you, second-hand shops that sell knick-knacks.
4. Ebay drop-off stores, ask around locally or see link below. Basically you
drop it all off, they list on ebay, they do all the work and charge you a
percentage off your profit as sales complete.
5. Donate for write-off to Salvation Army stores.
6. ask some flea market vendors if they are interested.

South Carolina eBay Drop-Off Store Directory of The Best eBay South Carolina Drop-Off Stores & South Carolina eBay Drop-Off Stores - Drop-Off Stores.com

Old 04-08-2013, 02:27 PM

1,796 posts, read 3,819,134 times
Snowball........Thank you for your suggestions. I have already tried Craigslist multiple times and although I get inquiries, no takers. Again they just want to cherry pick the best items. I did sent the lists out to a vendor who said he was interested, but haven't heard back from him since January.

Guess I'll keep trying.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:18 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,182,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I have already tried Craigslist multiple times and although I get inquiries, no takers. Again they just want to cherry pick the best items. I did sent the lists out to a vendor who said he was interested, but haven't heard back from him since January.

Guess I'll keep trying.
The bottom of the market has dropped out on a lot of these items ....

We just got a whole bunch of similar stuff from a 60-year collection, some of them very much more expensive new than the items you've mentioned, and even the auction houses we've contacted don't want to put them in the sales flyers as a collection.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:32 PM

672 posts, read 1,801,873 times
Maybe try etsy.com. In addition to the arts and crafts, a lot of people sell vintage items. You'd still have to deal with shipping but I like it better than ebay for some things.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:03 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,310,140 times
It's a DEEP buyers market for figurines. Pass them on to someone?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:43 PM

9,985 posts, read 6,732,986 times
maybe you should sell to the cherry pickers what you can
and just donate the rest to Salvation Army, or post a low-ball
number on craigslist, someone will buy them all if the price is right.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 PM

47 posts, read 74,912 times
Other than eBay, consignment stores/shops is all I can think of.

Craigslist buyers are looking for bargains.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:56 PM

402 posts, read 1,245,421 times
Lightbulb Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
. . . Does anybody know where I can go to sell them other than ebay? . . . I am wanting to sell them as complete "collections" . . . I don't really want to deal with ebay and all that shipping, but is that going to be my only option?
. . .

Any help or ideas would be very well appreciated!! Thank you!

1. Amazon could be a viable choice for selling your collections. You can list sets or individual pieces. They have a "fulfillment by Amazon" option where you can send all of your figurines to Amazon. Then, they will ship each figurine or set as it sells. This might be a good solution for you since you mention not wanting to deal with all that shipping. I did a quick Amazon search for "Disney figurines" and there were some good prices there.

2. You could pay someone (that you TRUST) to list the figurines and to process, package, and ship your orders as well. Maybe you have a friend or relative who is willing to work for a small commission.

3. You could advertise your figurines in your local newspaper, mailer (Penny Saver, etc.), online bulletin board, or Craigslist. Buyers could pick them up in person and you wouldn't have to worry about shipping.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,117,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
It's a DEEP buyers market for figurines. Pass them on to someone?

I agree. these were very popular in the 1980s. Wait another ten or fifteen years. They are not in the "so far out they're in" category yet. I'd wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques