U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 AM

5,585 posts, read 826,930 times

Advertisements

I have numerous antique trunks that were bought over the years at various garage / yard sales. They have not been restored, just kept in storage, DH had planned on restoring them as a hobby, but now that he has passed away, I want to get rid of them. Any ideas / suggestions as to whom I can contact in selling these trunks would be greatly appreciated. I obviously can not afford shipping & handling fee to send them out. The one place I can think of contacting is antique store establishments, any other ideas anyone want to throw in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 AM

25,630 posts, read 30,453,311 times
Ebay classifieds "pickup only" and Craigslist. Ask and friends or relatives how haw experience with these two to help you out.

Also research those trunks first to establish a base price. Understand if you want to just be rid of them then price them at 40-60% lower than what you find on the net.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:07 PM

16,365 posts, read 10,352,123 times
if your area has antique shows (lots of dealers in one place, usually sponsored by a fire company, church, etc) it might be worth your while to go. You might find someone who will take a few. If there's that many, doubtful someone will take them all, unless the price is low enough.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 PM

5,962 posts, read 5,312,463 times
I had 2 in nice shape. Put on Craigslist. No one called. Put them in driveway with a for sale sign. No One stopped. Had them out for my garage sale. They did not sell. I was only asking $10 each by then. I put them in the yard with a free sign. They sat most of the day before someone would take them. One was older than 1902, thats when my grandmother came to this country with it. The other was my dad's from the 1930's.

The days of people wanting trunks ended long ago. They are no longer used in most peoples decor and haven't been for years.

An exception would be Louis Vuitton or something with a Queen Mary or Lusitania sticker.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:47 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,446,513 times
However...storage pieces generally are in demand. If your trunks have flat tops, they can be used for both storage and as end tables or coffee tables or at the foot of the bed...while holding out-of-season linens or whatever else you have on hand. Granted, the country look is not as popular as it once was, but trunks are still very functional, though clunky and heavy (how on earth did porters ever haul those things around onto railroad trains, ships, etc., back in the day??). Trunks with curved tops are less functional, so are not as desirable.

If you decide to advertise your trunks or offer them on eBay or Craigslist, photograph them with "props" that give an idea of their size and potential use. Stress the trunks' warm, vintage appeal -drape a nice colorful vintage quilt inside with a corner sticking out, or stack "home" magazines on top, next to a nice lamp or a pottery bowl. Word your ad in an appealing, story-telling way, something like: "Grandma's old trunk went everywhere! Now it can come to your house for only (price of trunk)!"

If you have trunks of various sizes, consider stacking three smaller ones one atop the next for photos. If the trunks retain their original labels, show a close-up of the label in the photos. Doll trunks do very well and are in demand.

Good luck unloading your trunks!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:27 AM

5,585 posts, read 826,930 times
This is how I ended up selling all the trunks I had on hand. Started out with 17 trunks. I advertised on Craigslist, along with showing photos of the trunks, did sell a few that way, also I had garage sales. By last garage sale - I had 10 trunks left, a lady was interested, but knew nothing about antique trunks nor did she know what she would do with any. She looked them over hard & heavy, I told her I would make her a deal if she bought them all, by golly she bought them all at $15.00 a piece. I know longer have to deal with antique trunks taking up storage space. So happy to be rid of them all.

Thanks to all who had responded with all your advise/suggestions on what to do about how to get rid of the trunks.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 AM

25,630 posts, read 30,453,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker Freesia View Post
This is how I ended up selling all the trunks I had on hand. Started out with 17 trunks. I advertised on Craigslist, along with showing photos of the trunks, did sell a few that way, also I had garage sales. By last garage sale - I had 10 trunks left, a lady was interested, but knew nothing about antique trunks nor did she know what she would do with any. She looked them over hard & heavy, I told her I would make her a deal if she bought them all, by golly she bought them all at $15.00 a piece. I know longer have to deal with antique trunks taking up storage space. So happy to be rid of them all.

Thanks to all who had responded with all your advise/suggestions on what to do about how to get rid of the trunks.

Thats fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques