Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:24 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Okay. So to my eye, the lampshade is not original to the lamp base. I did a google search for "morgan lamp" and nothing came up for lamps that are antique or collectible. One new furniture company site was selling a Morgan brand lamp. So without seeing the lamp base in person, my feeling is that the lamp base is not all that old (depending on your definition of "old"). It has some age to it, like maybe 10 or 20 years old.
This is what I had begun to think. Heck, the Ford truck I drive is nearly 20 years old.

Thank you for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,387 times
Thumbs up Sandro Maggioni

Hello there, she is by Sandro Maggioni and I believe she is part of a set depicting fashion through the ages. I would love to buy her if you are interested in selling her. Regards, Jackie Dewsall, Brenwood, Essex. UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Don't know if there has been any threads on identifying pieces, so thought I would start one. Feel free to put any items that you would like info on and maybe someone can identify it.
I picked this figurine up at an Estate Sale. It's signed by Sandro Maggioni and the date looks like 1931. I can't find it on google or e-bay. It's roughly 12 1/2" high and still has all its toes and fingers.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Can anyone date this butchers steel? The steel is 13.5 inches long and the handle, including the quillion, is 7 inches. There is a ring in the handle. The handle appears to be made of wood, and the lighter color stripes appear to be inlaid material. The quillion is made of opposing bull heads. Stamped into the steel near the quillion is a fletched arrow pointing toward the words "F. DICK." and stamped below is "MADE IN GERMANY". A date is what I need, but a possible value would be a bonus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Wow never seen one that old before. I've had a few f.dicks and sold them for around 50bucks. Never Seen one with that ornate of a guard or grip. I'm gonna guess late 1800's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Thanks a bunch BDD, that's the info I'm looking for. I searched the Net but came up with nothing to compare with and we are not sure where it came from. One of two probabilities though; Wife and Daughter often visited antique shops and yard sales and bought "interesting stuff", and, Wife's Dad owned a "junktique" store and it could have been left over from that. Anyway, Wife says she isn't interested in selling it unless it brings megabucks, but really wanted to know it's age and hopefully some value. You have done both. Thanks from Wife.
Just as a heads up I've run across two steels like yours in my research for other items I've procurred. A REAL nice one sold in Australia Dec 2013 for $260 dollars US and one closer to the condition of yours in 2010 for 50 British pounds.

Now you've got me keeping an eye out for the Dual Bull as they are called.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:00 AM

957 posts, read 757,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Dewsall View Post
Hello there, she is by Sandro Maggioni and I believe she is part of a set depicting fashion through the ages. I would love to buy her if you are interested in selling her. Regards, Jackie Dewsall, Brenwood, Essex. UK
Thanks for the info. I do plan on listing it on ebay in the near future provided I can get it properly packaged. I'm concerned about those fingers breaking
I did another google search the other day and found an image just like it. I got all excited thinking it might lead me somewhere. When I clicked on the image, it brought me back here as it was mine.
I did have it appraised recently at $125.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:47 PM

328 posts, read 434,183 times
We now have a sticky at the top of the page for all things that you or I need others help on identifying.

This makes is nice so it is always at the top of the page for easy access and we can all look back at other post to see if anything strikes our liking.

Nice stuff.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,387 times
Default Sandro Maggioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Thanks for the info. I do plan on listing it on ebay in the near future provided I can get it properly packaged. I'm concerned about those fingers breaking
I did another google search the other day and found an image just like it. I got all excited thinking it might lead me somewhere. When I clicked on the image, it brought me back here as it was mine.
I did have it appraised recently at $125.

Okay and no problem. She is rather lovely and I would pay that providing shipping wasn't too much extra - i'm Brentwood, Essex U.K. If you do decide to sell her the best way to package her is lots of fine bubble wrap and invest in a polystyrene box with polystyrene chips inside and then bubble wrap the box with larger bubblewrap. I am only interested if she is in perfect condition though. When you are ready should you need to contact me my email is jackiedewsall@aol.com I am not a dealer just a regular house wife who happens to have a few other Maggioni peices and really love her blue dress. All the best mellowmike. Jackie Dewsall.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:30 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
I found this thread today and found it interesting...

I have a necklace that was given to me almost 40 years ago (original everything) that was given to me from my aunt. It was her engagement necklace. She was born in 1905 and I am guessing since she was about 37 when she got engaged that would be around 1940-1945) so I am thinking it is about 72 years old. Just curious about it.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:51 PM

957 posts, read 757,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Dewsall View Post
Okay and no problem. She is rather lovely and I would pay that providing shipping wasn't too much extra - i'm Brentwood, Essex U.K. If you do decide to sell her the best way to package her is lots of fine bubble wrap and invest in a polystyrene box with polystyrene chips inside and then bubble wrap the box with larger bubblewrap. I am only interested if she is in perfect condition though. When you are ready should you need to contact me my email is jackiedewsall@aol.com I am not a dealer just a regular house wife who happens to have a few other Maggioni peices and really love her blue dress. All the best mellowmike. Jackie Dewsall.
Thanks. I've been giving a lot of thought and have decided to keep it. I would definitely make a nice profit but chances are I would never be able to find anything like it for what I paid. FWIW, I paid $20.00 at an estate sale.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I found this thread today and found it interesting...

I have a necklace that was given to me almost 40 years ago (original everything) that was given to me from my aunt. It was her engagement necklace. She was born in 1905 and I am guessing since she was about 37 when she got engaged that would be around 1940-1945) so I am thinking it is about 72 years old. Just curious about it.

Well... you are right about the age of the necklace. Probably American made. If you examine it under magnification, you should see the identifying metal marks on the lock ring of the necklace chain. It's probably white gold, 14kt or 18kt. There is a chance that the metal could be platinum. The pendant is frosted glass with a most likely a diamond in the middle of it. However, sometimes it's a white sapphire.

The style is Art Deco. This necklace design was very common back then. There is no particular designer or jewelry company associated with this design.

As to its value, it is worth more to you in sentimental value. A collector or dealer would value it by its precious metal weight and the carat weight, type and quality of the stone in the middle of the pendant. A jeweler can test the stone for you and tell you what it is.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
Thank you miu for that information. I wasn't looking to sell it because it is very sentimental to me. I also wore it on my wedding day. I will pass it on to my daughter so it stays in the family.

You are right it has a diamond chip in the middle.

I will look for the metal marks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques