Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:37 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times

Advertisements

There are definitely younger people interested in antiques. I see them in antique stores and antique malls. I see them buying stuff that makes them happy

Check this out.

Teen boy spotted the error*in replica of Al Capone's cell in Philadelphia | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 01:01 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
If younger people are not interested in their parents' and grandparents' items, this actually bodes quite well for people who do save those items. Most of them will be discarded, and the ones left will be rare. Whether or not they will ever be desirable again is another point, but one thing is for sure--old items that are very common are hardly ever desirable.

I personally think "Millenials" will outgrow their minimalist tendencies. They may not think so while they're young, but at a certain point it becomes comforting to have your own "stuff" and a modest amount of things from the past. What are they going to do when their traveling days are over--sit around and stare at the bare apartment walls?

Old 06-26-2016, 03:04 PM

471 posts, read 976,970 times
My son and his friends had no interest in anything I had that I thought was collectible or rare. They will have their own ideas of things to look for when they are older, mostly things they used or played with themselves.

The 20-30's generation will NOT be interested in someone's vast beanie baby collection, Mickey M or John Wayne stuff, or most of everything people we all know have been saving hoping for that big payday or to pass on to the "lucky" kid.

Ask your kids if they want anything you have been holding on to now, and if not, sell it while there are those of us who might still interested. Kinda like that old game musical chairs.

And remember, we didn't re-collect Hot Wheels in our older boomer ages by random chance, we re-collected because we actually took them out of the packages and played with them when we were young. It will be the same with our kids, only not with Hot Wheels and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques