Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:54 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I had something like this happen to me a long time ago. But I'm a much smaller scale. I was in college and one of my friends was mad because of a coin he got in change. It was a buffalo nickel. I told him it was a nice looking coin and old, he was lucky to get it (and that it might be worth more than five cents). He didn't think so. So I finally offered to trade him his buffalo nickel for a new nickel. He agreed and was happy with the exchange.

It wasn't worth much. I just like old coins and was happy to have it.

I've given people a quarter for a wheat cent. I didn't care about the value, I was just happy to have it and figured give the other person something better too.

The trickiest situation I've ever been in is when I'm getting a coffee, and look into the tip jar and see a IHC sitting right on top. This has happened to me...twice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 11:50 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've given people a quarter for a wheat cent. I didn't care about the value, I was just happy to have it and figured give the other person something better too.

The trickiest situation I've ever been in is when I'm getting a coffee, and look into the tip jar and see a IHC sitting right on top. This has happened to me...twice!
wow. I would ask to exchange a quarter for it.

A few years back when at the counter of a gas station, I spotted a silver time. It may have been Canadian (80% silver). It was a kid working the counter, so I pointed it out to him and explained. He was psyched. Well worth the effort.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:54 AM

263 posts, read 160,981 times
My grandfather was a coin collector until his collection was stolen by some new "friends" a few months ago

Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip :) View Post
My grandfather was a coin collector until his collection was stolen by some new "friends" a few months ago

That's why I don't tell or show my collection to any "locals". I only share it with my internet "friends"

Old 09-21-2017, 02:49 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecamel2015 View Post
I collect some valuable early US Dollar coins (Draped Bust series) and I am always looking to see if there are other collectors out there or people who know somebody with old coins/currency.

Post here about it or you can PM me. I already had a guy contact me who had a family member that I bought a large collection from and the person who contacted me got $100 from me for the info. Everybody won in that deal.
Do share your DB collection.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:18 AM

89 posts, read 66,687 times
I just started getting into coin collecting. Though I have the intent to sell or attempt ot sell the valuable ones I may posses. I'm gonna be getting a quality magnifying glass with 40x magnification and an LED light built in, reading glasses and a bit later a good MX Sport Metal Detector soon. I thing I may have a couple double ear 1983-1984 pennies! I just need the magnifying glass to be sure.. I heard they are valuable. I don't know if they are valuable if they're not in mint condition though. Once I clean them they will be in good enough condition.

I have been hoping to find a 1943 Copper penny(they were making them out of steel then) because these are worth thousands even in average condition I think. I got close to this though haha I ended up getting a 1942 Wheat Penny from a cashier at a gas station lol. I also have 1962, 1966, and 1968 pennies.

Problem is if I find that I have some really valuable coins I don't know of whom I'd sell them to anyways.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:24 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Hello all. I'm about to roll a bunch of coins. I've recently become interested in collecting the good silver and copper coins that are getting rare now. i.e. Mom taught me as a child to collect wheat pennies. So as I accumlate change, I want to be careful to look them over before rolling. I know to look for pre-1965 quarters and I have a short list of others to keep an eye out for. I also may start buying a few quarter and dime rolls each payday to look through. (should I do nickel and pennies too?)

What is your advice for someone like me who just wants to be sure that I don't let a treasure slip through my fingers?

Old 06-11-2018, 11:04 AM

167 posts, read 162,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Hello all. I'm about to roll a bunch of coins. I've recently become interested in collecting the good silver and copper coins that are getting rare now. i.e. Mom taught me as a child to collect wheat pennies. So as I accumlate change, I want to be careful to look them over before rolling. I know to look for pre-1965 quarters and I have a short list of others to keep an eye out for. I also may start buying a few quarter and dime rolls each payday to look through. (should I do nickel and pennies too?)

What is your advice for someone like me who just wants to be sure that I don't let a treasure slip through my fingers?

Sounds like you are off to a great start. I would suggest you also buy a half dollar rolls from your bank.The Kennedy 64s are 90% silver, and the 65 to 70 are 40% silver. You should also pick up a copy of The Official Red Book of A Guide of US Coins. The best book on coins. If you are looking for error coins, get a good magnifying glass. Also google coin forums, there are several on the internet. It makes no difference if you are a beginning collector, or an experienced one, there are people eager to help and pass their knowledge on, and all for free. These are just some basic suggestions. Good luck and have fun.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:07 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Go to your public library, or large bookstore, and look for a paperback "Blue Book" or "Red Book" listing values of all American coins, according to their date, condition, and mint-mark. This book is updated every year.

Any silver coins, (Dimes and higher denomination), with the dates visibly showing, and dated before 1965, are worth at least 15 times their face value. After that year, the rims were made of copper mixed with silver, and are usually not valuable, except for certain rare dates. Although it's worth holding onto your silver coins until the price of silver rises more. (which you can check the status of at any time, online).

Old 09-08-2018, 01:11 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,899 times
I just want to move a very close to complete set of Jefferson Nickels that are all uncirculated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques