Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 08:40 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,557,827 times

Advertisements

My niece visited last weekend and stayed in the guest bedroom. While she was there, she did her nails on the dresser and accidentally spilled some polish remover, leaving a tiny white spot where the finish wore off. It is reclaimed wood (authentic) with a hand-rubbed finish. I spoke with someone and figured out that it probably was fixable because only the finished was damaged, not the actual wood. What I'm wondering is how do I right the situation? I was thinking of redoing the piece anyhow and need advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 11:02 PM

5,511 posts, read 6,429,846 times
I can't help you with your question about how to refinish the piece, I can only add that perfume as well as nail polish remover damages the finish of wood furniture. Please advise your guests not to use nail polish remover on the wood furniture or place a perfume bottle or sample square from the department store on your wood furniture. I speak from experience. :-( Damp or wet bottoms of either of these items will leave a damaged area on the wood piece.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:30 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,557,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I can't help you with your question about how to refinish the piece, I can only add that perfume as well as nail polish remover damages the finish of wood furniture. Please advise your guests not to use nail polish remover on the wood furniture or place a perfume bottle or sample square from the department store on your wood furniture. I speak from experience. :-( Damp or wet bottoms of either of these items will leave a damaged area on the wood piece.
I didn't know that about perfume bottles. Good to know.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:36 PM

19,235 posts, read 15,102,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I didn't know that about perfume bottles. Good to know.
When I was a teenager, some friends of my parents gave me, for free, a beautiful antique vanity and a tall dresser with drawers and a small wardrobe to hang things in. I kept my perfumes on the bare wood of the vanity, never thinking about it. But, yeah, I guess some perfume leaked/dripped down and damaged the wood/finish. I felt terrible about it.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with fixing it. Maybe look up some DIY youtube videos or search for businesses who specialize in this? Good luck.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:34 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,968,580 times
There is a refinisher liquid that can liquify the old finish, and then it can be smoothed back out with a very soft cloth rag. Once it dries, it shouldn't be noticeable anymore.

It depends on what the finish is. This will work with varnish, shellac, etc type finishes. If you try this, you should test it on a spot that will never be seen. If it doesn't work for this case, you'll know not to try it where it can be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques