Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:16 PM

30,705 posts, read 79,478,321 times

Advertisements

A hot dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 06:51 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,764 posts, read 40,056,684 times
In one of the multi-dealer antique shops I frequent, there is a dealer who sells only silver plated flatware. Place pieces are only $1 a piece. Serving pieces are $3 each. I like to rummage though her bins searching for her mistakes.

A couple of months ago, I found a plain sterling silver baby feeding spoon for a dollar. Yesterday, I found an American coin silver tea knife, a s/s handled butter knife (for a $1 each) and .833 purity Dutch silver serving spoon (for $3).

Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 PM

I've had an amazing week buying at antique shops! At one shop, while I was working there, one of the shop dealers had several framed antique Japanese woodblock prints. First, I bought this one for $28 just because I liked it:

Nishimura, Hodo "Tiger Lilies" - Woodblock - Chinese and Japanese woodblock prints for sale, silkscreen, scrolls, watercolor, lithographs.

Then, there was another framed Japanese woodblock print for $60. And actually, I pointed it out to a dealer passing through. She passed on it, saying that "it was only a print". Well durr!!! It's a woodblock print!! So after she left the shop, I decided to buy it for myself. I take it home and start to do some research on it. And one like it just sold at Christie's in June for $20K!!! Thank goodness, that stupid dealer passed on buying it!!

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...6-details.aspx

Then this last Saturday, I went to my favorite Boston area antique mall, and right across from the front desk, I buy one of these for only $175.00!!

https://www.atlantasilver.com/collec...e-dish-c-1870/

Yes, I've been doing a lot of victory dances!!!

Old 07-25-2018, 10:57 AM

30,705 posts, read 79,478,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I

Then this last Saturday, I went to my favorite Boston area antique mall, and right across from the front desk, I buy one of these for only $175.00!!

That is pretty. Do you eat lots of olives?

Old 07-25-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is pretty. Do you eat lots of olives?
I do love Kalamata olives... but that's way too much sodium for me at my age! I would fill this dish with raw whole almonds, M&M's or Smarties. No sure which pattern bon bon server to use with it though.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:43 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,724,657 times
miu, you've found some very nice things.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,590,812 times
Quote:
I collect the Royal Doulton animals. I'm not a fan of the ladies or the tobey jugs. And the animals have to have some age to them. The newer ones aren't decorated as well.

I forgot, I also bought a Carlsbad porcelain paperweight with a transferware US flag on it. I thought that my husband might like it. It was only $10. The flag has only 45 stars in the blue field, which should date the piece to around 1896-1908.

I love Royal Doulton animals and some of the figurines (not the toby jugs). I have two of the historical English ladies - Lady Jane Grey and Eleanor of Provence - and would love to get more of the Tudor ladies, but I don't have much more room even if I wanted to spend to get them all (and Henry VIII himself). I have two Royal Doulton dogs - the Labrador Retriever and the Irish Setter, that my mother bought some 40-50 years ago. I also have Omar Khayyam; another impulse purchase at an antique store; he wasn't expensive and I couldn't resist him.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:42 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,590,812 times
Quote:
I've had an amazing week buying at antique shops! At one shop, while I was working there, one of the shop dealers had several framed antique Japanese woodblock prints. First, I bought this one for $28 just because I liked it:

Nishimura, Hodo "Tiger Lilies" - Woodblock - Chinese and Japanese woodblock prints for sale, silkscreen, scrolls, watercolor, lithographs.

Then, there was another framed Japanese woodblock print for $60. And actually, I pointed it out to a dealer passing through. She passed on it, saying that "it was only a print". Well durr!!! It's a woodblock print!! So after she left the shop, I decided to buy it for myself. I take it home and start to do some research on it. And one like it just sold at Christie's in June for $20K!!! Thank goodness, that stupid dealer passed on buying it!!

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...6-details.aspx

The Tiger Lilies print is beautiful, and I adore that gorham silver piece - it's exquisite!

Old 08-22-2018, 02:10 PM

Bought a ziplock snack baggie labeled "cufflinks lot" for $20 yesterday. Must have all come from one persons dresser box. Everything really dirty and tarnished. Wiped everything down with Windex and a paper towel, and everything started to look very nice! So for $20, these are the treasures that were in the bag:

1. Pair of Japanese Shakudo cufflinks
2. Pair of blue guilloche enamel snap cuff buttons
3. Pair faux amethyst gold-filled cufflinks
4. Tiny Shriners 14k white gold pin with a teeny diamond chip
5. 14k yellow gold lingerie clip with a tiny synthetic sapphire chip
6. 10k gold shirt button
7. Pair 10k white gold earrings with large blue stones
8. Sterling Unger Brothers oval clip
9. Tiny bar pin, perfect for a doll's dress
10. 13 misc. Shriners and Masonic pins
11. Money clip
12. Tiny skeleton key

So all in all, a very cool bag lot of stuff. Better than panning for gold in a stream!

Old 08-27-2018, 08:42 AM

6,401 posts, read 8,936,997 times
My last antique stop was the Allen Antique Barn in Allen, MI. Spent $2 and walked away with a hockey yearbook from '77 and a large, huge actually, roadmap of the Netherlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques