Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,219 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm registered with the forum to share something pretty neat and get some insight- I have a real iron lung in my possession, in Cleveland Ohio!

My name is Chris- I work at a recording studio in Cleveland, and our building used to be a respiratory hospital, from what we can tell. There's always been this huge, clunky green machine on our floor... a month or so after I started working at the studio, it was brought to my attention that this thing is an iron lung.

So we've known about it for some time, but I recently talked with the owner of our building... he says that if we can sell it for him, we'll get a cut. I've been doing research on the matter since the evening we talked, and there's almost no info on these things' value online. That's how I realized it was a pretty rare piece to have on one's hands. I wound up on an article by an antique collector with 25+ years experience, and it seems that a functioning iron lung can go for close to 10k USD. If the lung doesn't work, you're looking at a $300 value.

I had to see if it worked. I hauled her over to a working outlet, sweating through my shirt in the middle of the night, by myself. I plugged her in around the corner from where she sat. I heard it fire up behind me right away, gave me goosebumps. Very cool moment.

If anyone wants to see a video of this thing in action, or pictures, reply and let me know. I'd be glad to share the footage I have; it's really cool to watch it in action. This thing dates back a long way through time, and I imagine its helped keep people alive in its day.

I'd love to hear any info someone might have on selling the lung. I understand that a piece like this is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay, but I don't have any resources on getting it in front of people besides Craigslist, really. I'm waiting to hear back from the Smithsonian in D.C. ... we'll see how that goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 06:39 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
I either read or saw something on iron lungs a year or so ago. There are still a few people using them and they're desperate for spare parts and people who can fix them. Yours could be used for spare parts or could be a replacement for one that's failed. Not sure how you can get in touch with them, though.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:36 PM

17,530 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Sounds like something your local BDSM salon would like

Old 12-07-2018, 07:38 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I either read or saw something on iron lungs a year or so ago. There are still a few people using them and they're desperate for spare parts and people who can fix them. Yours could be used for spare parts or could be a replacement for one that's failed. Not sure how you can get in touch with them, though.
It would be an act of human kindness if you could donate the iron lung. There are a few people still alive, depending on their machines. I understand they even will their IL to other users, because they are no longer manufactured and repair parts are difficult to find. I will post some links, hope they are useful.

Last edited by MaryleeII; 12-07-2018 at 07:51 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 07:52 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Here's what I've found so far, and the article has other links--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gplA6pq9cOs

Old 12-08-2018, 03:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
The only memory I have of the Chicago Fair of 1950 is that of a woman in an iron lung who was in one of the exhibits. I wasn't quite seven years old; it was the most frightening thing that I had ever seen. I thought about being confined to one—it was very unpleasant.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
After I saw this thread I googled around and it looks like there are fewer than 10 people left in the US in an iron lung.

My mom graduated nursing school in 1945. I can remember her telling me about the polio epidemic and caring for patients in iron lungs. Whole hospitals full of them!

Old 12-12-2018, 03:29 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The only memory I have of the Chicago Fair of 1950 is that of a woman in an iron lung who was in one of the exhibits. I wasn't quite seven years old; it was the most frightening thing that I had ever seen. I thought about being confined to one—it was very unpleasant.

Yes, extremely horrifying for anyone of our age group. As kids we lived in terror of getting polio.

The scariest stories I read were about people in iron lungs. I remember one article about an iron lung person reading a book somehow...maybe a machine had been invented that would turn the pages. The picture just showed his head sticking out and the book suspended above. And that was supposed to make him happy? There are just no words.

Then years later when looking at houses to buy, we opened the door to a room and there was an iron lung.

I think I must have been shaking in horror but I got out of that house asap. I think death would have been better than "life" in an iron lung.

They are not "cool" but if you can make money on it, then go for it. People are always making money on terrible things. At least you wouldn't be hurting anyone if there are only 10 people unfortunate to need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques