Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 01:14 PM

32,477 posts, read 47,405,393 times

Advertisements

I haven't been on eBay for years, so have no idea what is going on over there. One too many bad experiences and I closed my account.

I think what has hurt the antique market is two things. The younger generation doesn't like the style. They like sparky, shiny, and metal, not hand carved exotic wood.

The other problem is that the open floor plan doesn't have any available walls where furniture that was designed to be placed on walls can be used. I've had to pass on several lovely pieces at give away prices because I had no place to put them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 03:10 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,885,628 times
I am 89 and have a collection of antiques we have aquired thru the years,clocks,misc. Western Electric items but daughter will dispose of them with no knowledge of value.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:27 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,619,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am 89 and have a collection of antiques we have aquired thru the years,clocks,misc. Western Electric items but daughter will dispose of them with no knowledge of value.
That happens a lot. I have a friend selling his collection now because his kids/grandkids want nothing to do with it and he doesn't want to see it thrown away. I have other friends that catalog every thing with lists of what it is and how/where to sell. My neighbor had a huge collection of stuff with no plan. When he died last year his wife had no idea what to do with it and was mad that she had to clean up his "junk".

Personally I am looking at the throw away or just give to any local auction house to sell at what ever anyone can get. My collection has value but we have no kids and the wife wants nothing to do with it. We do not need the money so I hope to enjoy my collection as long as I can and after that I honestly couldn't care less what happens to it.

It is something we all need to think about and do what is best for ourselves.

Old 07-03-2022, 10:10 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,292,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
That happens a lot. I have a friend selling his collection now because his kids/grandkids want nothing to do with it and he doesn't want to see it thrown away. I have other friends that catalog every thing with lists of what it is and how/where to sell. My neighbor had a huge collection of stuff with no plan. When he died last year his wife had no idea what to do with it and was mad that she had to clean up his "junk".

Personally I am looking at the throw away or just give to any local auction house to sell at what ever anyone can get. My collection has value but we have no kids and the wife wants nothing to do with it. We do not need the money so I hope to enjoy my collection as long as I can and after that I honestly couldn't care less what happens to it.

It is something we all need to think about and do what is best for ourselves.
May I make a suggestion? Why not donate it for auction for a charity. My vote goes to one of the animal charities like Humane Tomorrow. This wonderful group helps people to keep their animals in times of crisis.

https://humanetomorrow.org/programs/flowersfund/

Old 10-31-2022, 01:28 PM

947 posts, read 1,242,057 times
Hey that doesn't surprise me. I used to work at TJMAXX before I retired from there. Still at my regular job. Don't know if any of you have heard of pottery by Rae Dunn, but it's very popular. Very plain with words on it. We would have like a group of women come in, and try to buy up as much as they could. And if you were putting out merchandise, they would hang around in case you had any to put out. Well, one of our managers was looking at Ebay, and saw a cup selling for $10.00 at our store, and the person selling it on ebay wanted like $30.00. Seen videos on Youtube were people go to thrift stores ,Salvation Army store, Good Will etc., purchase items, and then go and see the stuff on ebay selling for way more than they paid for.

Old 10-31-2022, 03:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,313,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Hey that doesn't surprise me. I used to work at TJMAXX before I retired from there. Still at my regular job. Don't know if any of you have heard of pottery by Rae Dunn, but it's very popular. Very plain with words on it. We would have like a group of women come in, and try to buy up as much as they could. And if you were putting out merchandise, they would hang around in case you had any to put out. Well, one of our managers was looking at Ebay, and saw a cup selling for $10.00 at our store, and the person selling it on ebay wanted like $30.00. Seen videos on Youtube were people go to thrift stores ,Salvation Army store, Good Will etc., purchase items, and then go and see the stuff on ebay selling for way more than they paid for.
This is no longer true,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques