U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 01:28 PM

185 posts, read 594,221 times

Advertisements

We used soap flakes and water, mixed it with an electric mixer to make a paste. Sometimes put a little glitter in. Then apply it the way you want it. It sets up nice. I see now what your project is about. There is another place: ccollectables.com that have a few Dickens buildings. That Department 56 is something else I went on a coffee kick looking at all there sculpts. Oh and there is a store in North Texas called "Always Christmas". It's a year around Christmas store. They carry Department 56 items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,780,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I started a collection a few years back with the intent of putting together a minature village (I think it was a Dicken's collection). I have a couple questions, if I can trouble any of you for answers...

First, is there a good online website to get online ideas and see other places people have set up and tricks of the trade (little tidbits of learned information)?

Second, is there a reputable online website(s) that we can go to to get additional structures, figures, landscaping, etc.

Thanks!

Rath
Hi Rath!

I'm a village collector myself so I can definitely help you with this. I have to warn you...village collecting is addictive, LOL!!

First...go back to the Department56 website...click on collecting...then click on village collecting...then click on club news....scroll down to the green box with gold lettering that says "NCC" (National Council of 56 Clubs) & go to that website. There you will find if there's any collectors clubs near you. (TX has a few that are very active). It's a great place to find out what's happening in D56 & Village collecting with lots of links.

Second...most important...check out the D56 clubs on Yahoo (I belong to 3 of them). I would start with "Matt's Group" (dept56). TONS of info on building displays, etc... DEFINITELY check out the link to Dan Lima's photo archives. Just about everyone that villages has a folder there with tons of displays to look at, "steal" ideas from (don't worry, we all do it!) & just "OOOH & AHHH" over (I have a few there myself- Rosann NY/NC). Some of them are hokey, but some are creative masterpieces with extraordinary detail.

You can learn just about anything on these groups...how to carve styrofoam, make realistic water, build trees, add a train set to your display, etc...They are a great resource & alot of really nice people from all walks of life belong to them.

You can also find some bargains on the groups too as people downsize their collections or sell them off...for other collections.

Hope this helps! WELCOME to the Village! Feel Free to PM if you have any questions!

BxRosie CIC, OSV, SVH, NP, TTC & ALOOST

OK...here's what the initials stand for:
CIC-Christmas in the City (my main village)
OSV-Original Snow Village (my son & I -newest village)
SVH-Snow Village Halloween (very small village)
NP-North Pole Village (originally my son's village, he has started to sell it off)
TTC-Time To Celebrate (Dept56's brief foray into the home party plan business, I was a consultant for the whole 3 yrs it was in business. Then D56 purchased Lenox & it's holdings & dumped TTC )
ALOOST- A Lot Of Other Stuff Too, LOL!!! (like Christopher Radko)

Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 PM

Location: Its easy to be a perfectionist when someone else is doing all the work.
2,230 posts, read 5,445,804 times
Quote:
Thank you both very much... I appreciate your inputs. I don't want to make a small scene.. but a very large one. I live in a small city (100k people), and in my side of town, it's very quiet. A common thing in our town is to drive around and look at lights at Christmas.

I was hoping to put together a LARGE town on a piece of plywood or something similar. Fill it with tons of details, and prop it up in a window in a front room (surrounded by a curtain for privacy outside of the village). Then as people drove by, they would see it, get out of their cars and look at it. I think everyone likes to escape into small scenes, especially if packed with small details so every time you look somewhere else you say "Oh... cool... look at that!!"
Quote:
The buildings are ceramic (I think). They are a Department 56 theme. There's other parts to it (I have a central circle.. it's a rubberized-type mat that looks like old style cobblestones used during "Charles Dickens" time.

I would use all the available accessories to me (lights, people, buildings, roads, etc.)... and the wood is just the platform to put it all on. I've seen great ideas using flour and salt for some snow effects.

The entire scent would be set on the wood platform and propped up on a table or such.

Does that make more sense?
I can see this but not sure if I can expain it. I would do a series of boxes benches tables that stack on top of each other. These could be hinged or have screw on legs. This would be the bones of the display. So that when everything was put together it would look like you were looking up a hill side. This way everything would break down into smaller units and be easier to store.

Instead of a curtain I would do a backdrop. A good cotton painters tarp could be painted with a night scene. Then you coiuld poke holes and use twinkle lights for the stars. If you cant paint you could apply a wall mural to the tarp and then over paint it an add snow etc.

If you go up instead of doing everything on the flat the more of your stuff will show from a distance.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:22 PM

185 posts, read 594,221 times
Hi Rathagos,

I found something that might interest you. I hit upon a web site. Micro-Mark. They have all kinds of HO, N, O, figures and also scenery layouts and building kits. All you would have to do is add the snow. Have you started your project? I'm doing some gourd carving, something that was a past hobby coming alive eeeeeks! I went on Micro-Mark site and found the mini blades I need, and a ton of other things as well. Was thinking of your mini village. In some art shows around Florida, needle felting isn't considered an art form. Don't know why? I think it's ridiculous. And I'm still wondering if any of New Mexico is, "Sheep Country?" Can't seem to get a reply on the New Mexico form. It might be easier to raise gourds then sheep! So might just shelve or do less of the needle felt craft and do the gourds. As always, Good Luck!

Old 08-05-2012, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 2,233 times
I think I have a couple of unopened Dickens Village Train sets.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 AM
miu

17,098 posts, read 34,498,670 times
Miniature railroad buffs have been making village panoramas for a long time. You could get some great ideas from their projects.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mini...w=1013&bih=607

I like this one:

http://www.rochestersubway.com/image...railroad-2.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques