Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times

Advertisements

I started a collection a few years back with the intent of putting together a minature village (I think it was a Dicken's collection). I have a couple questions, if I can trouble any of you for answers...

First, is there a good online website to get online ideas and see other places people have set up and tricks of the trade (little tidbits of learned information)?

Second, is there a reputable online website(s) that we can go to to get additional structures, figures, landscaping, etc.

Thanks!

Rath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 11:34 PM

185 posts, read 652,789 times
Hi Rathagos,

I like doing different types of architect and work it into my needle felting relief pictures. These models give me a feel of how it's going to work out. There are two places on the web that I've dealt with and like very much.

fiddlersgreen.net

papermodelstore.com

With Paper Model Store, they have a whole Early New England Village and a Viking Settlement and much more. Even though you might not put the models together I'm sure you will get a lot of ideas. I've took some of the small models plans and enlarged them on my opaque projector, traced, put together and painted them for table displays. Fiddlersgreen is just a fun place to go with the kids especially on rainy days. There models are a whimsical type, but they don't lack DETAIL. Good Luck

Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jara View Post
Hi Rathagos,

I like doing different types of architect and work it into my needle felting relief pictures. These models give me a feel of how it's going to work out. There are two places on the web that I've dealt with and like very much.

fiddlersgreen.net

papermodelstore.com

With Paper Model Store, they have a whole Early New England Village and a Viking Settlement and much more. Even though you might not put the models together I'm sure you will get a lot of ideas. I've took some of the small models plans and enlarged them on my opaque projector, traced, put together and painted them for table displays. Fiddlersgreen is just a fun place to go with the kids especially on rainy days. There models are a whimsical type, but they don't lack DETAIL. Good Luck
Thank you for answering... I will look these sites up... rep to you!

Old 06-17-2008, 04:14 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
I'm not sure if you've already been to the Department 56 site so I posted it here for you. This should open up to the Dickens Village.

Department 56: Products - Dickens' Village Series

Old 06-18-2008, 12:37 PM

Hi Rath,

Another site I forgot to mention is Amazon.Com. log in Pierre Guerin and Marie-Anne Paulet books. They have some expensive paper models. Chateau de Blois $38.90 and Monet's House at Giverny $17.88. Beautifully printed. One I'd love to have is Italian Theater. If anyone is a movie buff and the last sequence of "Godfather" shows them at the theater this model puts me in mind of it. I can see felting some poor guy with his little box of tainted canolies in one of the box seats. I've checked around and it's not available.
You mentioned tips. I'd really be lost without my opaque projector. Haven't checked with the grand-kiddies if any of the patterns can be put on color-book printer mode. What I do is 2-D and just cut those poor models in half or what measurements I have for my pictures and do the needle felting from the models. I look at all the beautiful models made in the true 3-D and think, NO NOT ANOTHER HOBBY! Paper modeling is an art by itself.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 PM

Hi bibit612

I had a chance to see Department 56 site. WOW that is so awsome. I enjoyed looking at all sculpts. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:46 PM

Thank you both very much... I appreciate your inputs. I don't want to make a small scene.. but a very large one. I live in a small city (100k people), and in my side of town, it's very quiet. A common thing in our town is to drive around and look at lights at Christmas.

I was hoping to put together a LARGE town on a piece of plywood or something similar. Fill it with tons of details, and prop it up in a window in a front room (surrounded by a curtain for privacy outside of the village). Then as people drove by, they would see it, get out of their cars and look at it. I think everyone likes to escape into small scenes, especially if packed with small details so every time you look somewhere else you say "Oh... cool... look at that!!"

Old 06-20-2008, 01:23 PM

Default Whada Project WOW!

Hi Rath,

Are you going to be making your buildings with wood or just the platform it's will be wood? Either way it can be done by taking a pattern of a model building, cutting it in about 4 equal parts. Take each part and enlarge it and trace on the backside of wallpaper. (I like wallpaper for large patterns it has give to it and can be rolled for storage.) Cut and tape the pattern together. I was privileged when in high school to work with a well known "window dresser" and was part of a team that did back drops for store fronts. Some of those displays were a good 10 feet high. So much imagination and detail was put in those projects. That was in the late 50's When I see a poster write, DETAIL I'm all eyes
There is another enlarging machine that works very well it's called Kwik-Draw. My oldest son bought one. He paid $150.00 that was awhile back don't know what they run now. I know opaque projectors price wise are high. They can run anywhere from $600.00 to the ones the schools use $2,500.00 or more. The kind the schools use are for big screens for presentations, assignments He loves scroll sawing and uses his orbit jigsaw for large projects. His scrollsaw only has a 16 inch throat.There are many sites for scrollsaw patterns.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:51 PM

Hi Rath,

If you make your display with wood, all you have to do is put hinges on the parts that are your bend points on the buildings or the folds you would use if it was paper. Easy Storage.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:57 PM

The buildings are ceramic (I think). They are a Department 56 theme. There's other parts to it (I have a central circle.. it's a rubberized-type mat that looks like old style cobblestones used during "Charles Dickens" time.

I would use all the available accessories to me (lights, people, buildings, roads, etc.)... and the wood is just the platform to put it all on. I've seen great ideas using flour and salt for some snow effects.

The entire scent would be set on the wood platform and propped up on a table or such.

Does that make more sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques