Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 41,557 times

Advertisements

there are some good points on here, I dont like guns either, I wouldnt have them near me, I have to say I collect things, I used to collect coins from when I was 10 years old, a few people gave me coins and some are quite old ones, I find them fascinating, however I've stopped collecting coins, simply because there hid away in a box which is pointless, I've now bought a pair of mugs from a charity shop and mini plates, I've just got to be careful I dont buy too much, the same with clothes shopping! and also I've been trying to learn italian and have got a collection of audio cds, oh well I am listening to them, I guess you could say everything in moderation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:43 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Just me, but I cant relate to the thinking that old guns are useless junk. Most other things folks accumulate or collect fit into the useless junk catagory much neater than firearms. Like as not these were valued important posessions to whoever first got them. Folks should be honored to inherit or be given such things. I totally understand the feeling they should never be sold. The time may come when the only contact people will have with firearms are those handed down & forgotten about.

Buy a cheap locking cabinet, lock them up & forget about them until someone interested in them comes to light.

I'v been collecting old guns for a few years now & my great grand children will have them if I have anything to say about it. Heck if their truly old theres very little likelyhood that you can even buy ammo for them so being nervous is simply foolish.
Dont deprive the future generations of our heritage. There are very few things as worthy of collecting & preserving as firearms.

I shoot & hunt with these old guns regularly, thats another thing you cant do with most collectables, use them the same way they were used a hundred years ago.

Now, as to why folks collect stamps, china, dolls, things of that nature is beyond me. As has been noted, in most cases these things end up in boxes in attics forgotten by all but the collector. I suppose thet recieve gratification from their collection.
I recieve gratification by teaching my children to appreciate my collection, because it will be theirs some day. Teaching a boy to shoot with his great grandfathers 22 is priceless. Somehow I dont think it compares to drinking coffee out of grandma's china, but thats just me.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:26 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Collecting is an interest that some have and some don't. If you don't you'll see it as collecting clutter and junk. Or buying stuff that you could use the money for some other way. If you do you'll see the pleasure of having this one kind of thing, usually but not always something your knowledgable about. Being useful isn't important. There are people who collect barbed wire and people who collect old pans they use in cooking.

I collect stuffed animals. Not a lot of them but when I see one that is "right" and I can afford it I do get it. My favorites are puppies, cats, bunnies bears and reptiles. Beenie bags animals are great. Once I was told that my childs stuffed animals needed to be put away. I informed the person that they were, these were MINE. I was informed that adults don't have stuffed animals. I was polite but informed them that there were the really nice ones in the other room. If I want stuffed animals, I'll have them.

Its when thousands of dollars that is needed to keep life and limb together dissapears in collections, or there are so MANY things that you need a new house just for them that its in major excess. But if one has a large collection of something and its either rare or in good shape, and it becomes yours, please look for a buyer. It might not happen overnight but someone has spent a lot of time and work making it and its respectful to find some value in that. Not everything old is valuable or junk but a lot of it is wanted by someone.

When the walls get painted I'll be adding some small shelves in patterns for my critters. And when my bookshelf is in place (I'm going to build it to the wall) my candelabras will be other than on top of he cabinet and frig. I'm not filling up the world but only if you collect will you understand the pleasure I get from these things that appeal to me.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:13 PM

27 posts, read 123,907 times
Default BS story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Collecting is an interest that some have and some don't. If you don't you'll see it as collecting clutter and junk. Or buying stuff that you could use the money for some other way. If you do you'll see the pleasure of having this one kind of thing, usually but not always something your knowledgable about. Being useful isn't important. There are people who collect barbed wire and people who collect old pans they use in cooking.

I collect stuffed animals. Not a lot of them but when I see one that is "right" and I can afford it I do get it. My favorites are puppies, cats, bunnies bears and reptiles. Beenie bags animals are great. Once I was told that my childs stuffed animals needed to be put away. I informed the person that they were, these were MINE. I was informed that adults don't have stuffed animals. I was polite but informed them that there were the really nice ones in the other room. If I want stuffed animals, I'll have them.

Its when thousands of dollars that is needed to keep life and limb together dissapears in collections, or there are so MANY things that you need a new house just for them that its in major excess. But if one has a large collection of something and its either rare or in good shape, and it becomes yours, please look for a buyer. It might not happen overnight but someone has spent a lot of time and work making it and its respectful to find some value in that. Not everything old is valuable or junk but a lot of it is wanted by someone.

When the walls get painted I'll be adding some small shelves in patterns for my critters. And when my bookshelf is in place (I'm going to build it to the wall) my candelabras will be other than on top of he cabinet and frig. I'm not filling up the world but only if you collect will you understand the pleasure I get from these things that appeal to me.
Blinded, just as most Americans, you are as well. You said when "I can afford it". Your priorities are mixed up! Find mental and physical things to do that are wholesome and energetically healthy. I must emphasize, your statement and thoughts about material things are pure vain. Junk and crap people collect and store in their homes wastes your hard earned money and saps the energy and life out of you psychologically and physically.

P.S. This is the same as alcoholism! You can not tell a drunk they are an alcoholic when they are drunk!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 41,557 times
well its nice to collect a few things and have a few things in a display in the house, however if you collect too much then your house can look cluttered..

my dads new wife she had alot of stuff,it just looked a total mess to be honest and she had one room where she had a collection of dolls, that room was nice and tidy but she didnt let anyone sit down in that room, when she moved to live with my dad she had all her dolls stored in the attic!

also theres not much point in collecting things that are expensive its nice to have the odd thing but if it becomes routine then thats a problem, unless you have the money, but even then it seems a bit of a waste, at the end of the day these things are just objects.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:24 AM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
You'd be surprised..... Mom is one of those people that "had to grow up with this stuff, Why the heck would I want it now when I can get new?", so she had NO interest in saving much of anything of either of my grandmothers'. All 6 of us kids, especially now that we're older want the few items saved. I'd be tickled to death to get my grandmother's pistol (if she had had one, though I do have Grandpa's 1928 shotgun). Before you just give away, throw away, or sell something like this, another place to check is with the local museum or the museum near where they settled. The museum might be just as tickled as me to get an item like this that has local history attached, plus, you get a tax writeoff, and your kids & grandkids can point it out to their friends & say "This was my Grandmother's!"

Some of my most cherished posessions are a pressed glass dish that Grandma got for a wedding gift on Valentines Day, 1926, the first lamp she & Grandpa bought when REA brought electricity to the farm in 1929, and the rocking chair that she bought when her only child, my father, was born. The chair I bought back from the antique shop that Mom GAVE most of Grandma's stuff to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
My husband has some things that were his grandparents when they settled out in Nebraska when it was only a territory. So, there is a little historical history to them, besides being just family collectables. He recently found on a site for collectable guns, his grandmother's little "ladies" pistol. $425.00. Not a bad price for something that will mean little or nothing to our grandkids.........

Old 07-19-2009, 12:35 AM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
Mom has gotten enough static from us kids for getting rid of most of Grandma's stuff, that she went & got a notebook & some little stick on dots that she numbered. Now when one of us says we want such & such someday, on goes a little sticky dot and the number is recorded in the notebook along with a short description of the item and maybe where she got it from ('wedding gift from Aunt Ida', 'bought when we went camping in Canada in 1969', etc), and the person's name who will eventually get the item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Mom dealt with her belongings before she left, but then she knew her time was soon to be up. All we had to do was close the apartment and sell the car. The few things she had of family importance were farmed out beforehand as well. A thoughtful woman.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:19 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times
I've inherited many "collections" over the years and simply couldn't keep them all, but they all had meaning for me. so here's what I did--

For each collection, I selected one piece to keep. the rest I took pictures of, put in an album, along with descriptions of the object and the person it belonged to. I then sold or donated the rest.

I still have the collections, just in a different form, and I can make as many copies as I wish, so I don't have to decide who to pass it down to, can even load it on disc. Memories for everyone!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
That's not a bad idea. I'm pretty much the pack rat, although I'm beginning to make inroads into the 'collection'.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

You are obviously someone who finds joy and meaning in possessions. So many don't, and they are poorer for it, and you are richer, for we are what we own.

But is there anything wrong in choosing to add to your collection rather than paint your house, or eat more expensively, or, dare I say it, pay off your credit cards? One person's needs are another's luxuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques