U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 01:10 AM

3,088 posts, read 7,770,293 times

Advertisements

oh my effin god. Well i'm not going to sleep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 03:05 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,146,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Do you have bring them all into one room and just sorta hang out on the sofa and all watch TV together?
They are just sit and stare. I kinda like real humans to hang out with!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:16 AM

24 posts, read 67,946 times
Weeeelllll....it is definately a unique hobby/item to collect but it would not be the oddest thing I've ever heard of!

Years ago while in college, I became interested in collecting carnival glass [got a head start from pieces passed on] so for a research paper in Comp.I I did my paper on something like the History of Antiques/Collecting-specifically dep. glass.

Anyway, this insurance salesman said an old farmer had called him to come out so he could get an ins. estimate on his collection and get it insured. When he showed up they headed out to one of these tin-type out-buildings with the farmer saying "you'll be surprised"... so not thinking much about it, (as he figured it was probably some antique show tractors or something along that line) but, when the farmer cranked open these huge doors the building was FULL of old outside ****-houses (outhouses!!!) These were stacked 3 and 4 high on top of each other, as far back as he could see!!!

Soooo, the one thing I learned is that anything, anywhere is a collectible to someone!!

As long as you enjoy it, have fun!

Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM

20 posts, read 66,237 times
I don't have a collection, but I do have a mannequin that I use to display artwear that I make. I had to move her away from her original position near the front door because every time I came home, I'd catch a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye and think someone had broken into my house. My sister-in-law has one, as well, that is dressed as a French maid, complete with duster, standing near the front door to greet visitors. I'd love to have the space to have several more.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
I don't have a collection, but I do have a mannequin that I use to display artwear that I make. I had to move her away from her original position near the front door because every time I came home, I'd catch a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye and think someone had broken into my house. My sister-in-law has one, as well, that is dressed as a French maid, complete with duster, standing near the front door to greet visitors. I'd love to have the space to have several more.
The first night we had our 1st mannequin I went out drinking and forgot all about her. We were living in a high crime neighborhood. I had dressed her in mens clothing and her arm was positioned over her head. When I got home I came in to the living room and shut the door behind me. About that time I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a man about to stab me. I fell backwards over something and was doing a crab crawl across the floor before I realized it was only a mannequin.

Another time I had several in the living room. I woke up very sick and had crawled outside for help. The neighbor woman called an ambulance to take me to the hospital. When the paramedics arrived they felt I was sick from fumes off the furnace. The male paramedic asked if anyone else was in the house. I asked him to please get my cat out. He started into the house, the next thing we heard was some screaming and him stumbling out the front door. He was not expecting anyone inside and was startled by the mannequins.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:29 PM

2,046 posts, read 838,065 times
GREAT! Love 'em! But then, what quirky artist wouldn't? LOL!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOPbaby View Post
GREAT! Love 'em! But then, what quirky artist wouldn't? LOL!
My artist girlfriend got me started on collecting them, now we have 24 in a very small house. I have one in a suit standing to the left of me and 1 in a kimono to the right of me. We have 9 in one bedroom and 7 in another. We have one hanging out in the basement too!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:40 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,775,140 times
I think some people over react about mannequins. But 24 sure is alot??!!!

We one one mannequin. Only because we have a part-time vintage clothing business. We gave her a name (Sylvana). And she's very tall and beautiful. We have alot of different wigs for her. One time I left her in front of the kitchen bay window (dressed in a 1940s dressing gown/lingerie) and people walking by kept gawking and staring. I didn't do it on purpose--I had just finished photographing her and the light was best in that window.

Anyway, our mannequin is usually situated in the livingroom or somewhere nearby. Sure, it's a little weird or kooky, especially if she's wearing a fur coat, uniform, or outfit people aren't used to seeing. My next task is to make a platform with wheels so we can push her around the house (to be photographed, of course).

Old 06-24-2009, 05:24 PM

43,858 posts, read 44,524,126 times
So your whole house is sort of like the Old Navy commercial?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
So your whole house is sort of like the Old Navy commercial?
Much better! We have much better mannequins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques