U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 03:40 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,999,195 times

Advertisements

I have a few arcade tokens. Probably the rarest one is a Charlie Cheese token from Australia.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 08:45 PM

84 posts, read 86,019 times
I just completed a short set of uncirculated walking liberty's and am now starting to expand that out to a long set. I have about half of the 34 and up already to extend it to the long set and since they are all uncirculated I think they will be the better long term investment, that's why I decided to do this. I'm also putting together complete uncirculated peace dollars, even though in my opinion I like the look of the Morgan better, I think the Peace are the up and coming sleepers.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:47 PM

84 posts, read 86,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I have a few arcade tokens. Probably the rarest one is a Charlie Cheese token from Australia.
I've got a them with dates on them from Chuckie Cheese with same face on token.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:13 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,901,804 times
Walking Liberty halves--beautiful, beautiful coins! Great choice Tony!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:58 AM

9,449 posts, read 10,178,257 times
I've got a pretty healthy US coin set. Too much to list, but it started when I was a kid. A lot of coins are junk silver and common wheats, IHC's, buffalo nickels, etc etc, but as I grew up and came across some more expendible income, i was able to start to seek out and buy MCGS slabbed examples of good collectable coins.

I do keep baggies of the common, cheap coins still. Nothing feels better than dumping a bag of indian head cents out and holding old circulated coins and wondering where they have been.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:45 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,283,004 times
I have a fairly extensive collection of British coins, mainly sixpences. Earliest is dated 1562.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:12 PM

1,511 posts, read 993,670 times
I used to be into coins and went for Islamic coins (beautiful calligraphy and exotic sounding reigning monarch names) and Chinese cash coins- where else can you buy 800 year old coins for so little?

Then, I got out of the hobby. I dont know why, but I just lost interest.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:06 AM

20,786 posts, read 35,818,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Y

I forget what year pennies were no longer made of all copper, but finding out is easy. In WW-2 pennies were made of steel for a time, and these teel coins are getting collected and so are getting rare.

Pennies transitioned to zinc composition in 1981/1982 if I remember correctly.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:45 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,238,517 times
Most of my coins have not been purchased but just picked out of change.

A few hundred wheat cents, mostly 1950s and then 1940s, a few dozen 1930s, maybe a dozen from the 1920s and a handful from the 1910s. And a bunch of old cents with the 'S' (San Francisco) mint mark. And one 1909 Indian Head cent that I found in the street a while back (yes, in the street - its grade is literally P-1 on the 1-70 Sheldon scale).

A couple dozen silver war nickels.

Dozens of silver dimes and quarters, mostly which I found in the 1980s and 1990s. Rarely do I happen upon one now.

Many 'foreign' (ie, non-American) coins: Canada, of course, but also from Mexico, Panama, the UK, China, Australia, the UAE, Barbados, the Philippines, the Cayman Island, Ireland, Spain, and a number which I cannot even identify - my wife used to manage a store at the Mall of America, and international coinage which looked like U.S. denominations often came into the store.

And since I live in Minnesota, a lot of Canadian coinage circulates here, so I have a bunch of old stuff from north of the border, including an interesting Newfoundland one-cent piece from 1941 - eight year before it joined Canada, when it was a self-governing state of the British Empire.

I also have an East Caribbean ten-cent piece, from the monetary union of several small island countries. Nothing unusual, really, but certainly a curiosity when it showed up in my pocket from some cashier who mistook it for an U.S. dime.

Finally, a 1st-century Imperial Roman coin that was among my grandmother's things when she passed. It's worth about $75. I have no idea where she picked it up.

They're all just curios, really.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:49 PM

166 posts, read 172,802 times
I'm very casual about the whole thing. A few silver dollars, halves and quarters from various years. Maybe 3 dozen silver dollars? Mostly Morgans and Eagles. A few proof sets, a Lincoln Chronicles set, and a few odds and ends.
I used to have a $2 silver certificate from my grandfather. I had it laminated and carried it everywhere with me. It was the first cash money he ever had in his life, received as pay when he joined the Navy in WW2. It got stolen along with my car in 1990. I started carrying a common 1883 Morgan around and it eventually got to the point I started taking it everywhere with me. On patrol in Iraq? Yep, its been there. Guam for training, Germany, Qatar, you name it. I've carried it all over the world and will give it to my son one day.

What I really enjoy is being the tooth fairy.

Let me explain...

Every time my (now 9 year old) son loses a tooth he gets a Silver Eagle from that year. The tooth and the coin go into an envelope and then the safe. I'll give it to him one day.

Note: He also gets a couple dollars real spending money for him to do as he pleases with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques