U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:44 PM

1,189 posts, read 797,063 times

Advertisements

Ninety year old penny from the UK (about the same size as a US half dollar)...

There is a thread in UK forum asking about s and d, which got me looking into the British coins in a box inherited awhile back. There are seven more of various date (1911-1945) and condition, but none very good. Amazing how the currency has changed in not that long of time. Pennies themselves may be obsolete before too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 02:15 PM

1,189 posts, read 797,063 times
Speaking of obsolete (just one in the box)...

...it's about the size of the current penny.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:34 PM

2,897 posts, read 5,262,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
One saturday back in the early 70`s I went to work with my dad. He was a Building contactor. We were at Rodanthe, on the Outer banks. I was about 10 at the time and I use to go with him sometimes when he was building a house or cottage near the ocean. I would help for a little while and then go off beachcombing for hours, just to see what I could find. This time I had just started down the beach, when I looked down and saw a coin, it looked like someone had just put it there, sitting on top of the sand. It was all black, tarnished from being on the beach for so long. Its a little bigger than a quarter and you can see all the features good, dated 1778, with spanish writing on it. As most know, the Outer Banks is the graveyard of the Atlantic and lots of ships were lost in these waters. I have read there is millions and millions of dollars worth of lost treasure that is just wating to be found. Like most in this area the best time to find things is after a storm. I guess I was just there at the right time to find this coin.
very cool

Old 03-12-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I am not a coin collector, but would like a beat up large cent with the date still showing from 1805 to no later than 1828. If anyone has a beater extra i could buy for a with in reason price like a couple bucks to include postage, I would appreciate a pm.

The why is i want to replace a necklace I lost touring the USA. If the coin has a hole drilled it all the better, but i can drill a hole myself.

I do not want a mint collectible coin, as I will destroy it's value drilling a hole, so a cull is just fine.
I picked up an 1800 Draped Bust Large Cent for about $10 on Ebay. Date is barely legible and the reverse has chop marks. Still, a very fun thing to have.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Oh one day one will turn up. I have the antique trade beads now,and i am very good at waiting and finding.

Look up Prarie Edge 'prairieedge' not sure i can post a link and not be accused of selling. This is so you might get an idea of what and why...

Cull coins with a hole drilled in them are what i am after, and most of time are ruined as collectors. I get real silver dollars you can hardly tell were silver dollars and beat them up into other things all the time.

But I don't ruin collectable coins ever. When I come by those they go to collectors.

I do have a few collectable coins, that I like, and or use to show people who are interested in seeing a real coin, as compared to what I would make from them. I beat yp brand new Thaylers dollars when i can get any. I still have a few left not yet beat up, but these are copies coins just still made of silver, not older historical coins.
I love holed coins, especially ones that are done well. Some can be XF details are better. Great for a piece of history.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:

I would be ware of counterfit coinage of this sort too, since I know repros are sold as cheap souvineers.
On EBAY, there are TREMENDOUS numbers of fakes, some being quite good. Caveat emptor!!

S.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,286,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Ninety year old penny from the UK (about the same size as a US half dollar)...

There is a thread in UK forum asking about s and d, which got me looking into the British coins in a box inherited awhile back. There are seven more of various date (1911-1945) and condition, but none very good. Amazing how the currency has changed in not that long of time. Pennies themselves may be obsolete before too long.
Edward VII, 1902 Low Tide penny from my collection:

Old 03-13-2017, 08:36 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,286,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
On EBAY, there are TREMENDOUS numbers of fakes, some being quite good. Caveat emptor!!

S.
I never buy on Ebay. I only buy from reputable auction houses or reputable and well known dealers. You can also protect yourself by buying certified coins (NGC or PCGS).

Old 03-14-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I never buy on Ebay. I only buy from reputable auction houses or reputable and well known dealers. You can also protect yourself by buying certified coins (NGC or PCGS).
EBAY is a very tough place. In the early days, it was still very innocent. I picked up a nice 1799 Bust Dollar that PCGS graded as XF40 for $800. Today, non-slabbed coins are rare to see and often with issues.

I think there are some good coins to get at reasonable prices, but they are more for historical and pure numismatic interest than for investments. But the pickings are slimmer and slimmer.

My Favorite EbAY buys
Draped Bust Quarters in AG3
Draped Bust 1799 $1--ended up PCGS graded at XF40
Draped Bust 1800 Large Cent (would be Fair Details). $10.
Draped Bust 1805/4 50c Holed Obverse is F-VF. Paid $200. Placed it in a necklace.
Capped Bust 1822 Quarter in Unslabbed as VG (though a small rim nick)
Liberty Cap 1794 Large Cent (Obverse would grade to Fine), but reverse is almost blank. Beautiful chocolate brown. Paid $50
Mexican $1 Peso 1957-1966 in BU for <$3 each. a fun coin

So Details, Holed, worn but cool --ebay is decent. But for stuff with more numismatic value--I would rather try my luck in auctions.

S.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:50 AM

33,046 posts, read 21,952,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Really? they should be easy to detect for someone used to looking at Lincoln cents. But I would imagine that the counterfeiters are getting better and better.

If one looks at the silver coins on ebay, the number of fakes have exploded in the past 10 years. Way back when I used to message the poster on fakes unfairly advertised. Once upon a time, EBAY was just that intimate. Now? LOL, no chance.

The emergence of China and Vietnam has worsened this problem as they are both masters at the counterfeit. With coins, it seems easy to the trained eye, but for other things, such as watches, look out!

S.

Counterfeit detection - for rarities at least - is probably easier today than it used to be. The low mintage of 1914-D cents suggests the existence of a very low number of die combinations ('die marriages'), which means there will be a small number of 'diagnostics' on any genuine coin that can be visually verified or disproved (when the coin is not genuine). For example, on genuine coins, the 'D' will be found only in a few possible locations relative to, say, the '9', and counterfeits won't match any of the known die possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques