Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:36 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times

Advertisements

Live in the DFW area and considering selling items for extra income on the weekends. Any Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 05:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
I had a booth in KY last yr and sold old glass ware clothing, plates, garage sale stuff, tires tools and alot of junk. We went to garage sales during week and auctions and bought stuff real cheap and sold for not much more than we payed but had a lot of repeat buisness cause people knew we were reasonable.

We had aprroximately 2,000.00 invested in 1 yr and made around 6,000.00. Our booth rent was inside with heat and AC and cost us 36.00/wk.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:27 PM

sounds good. Did you do this every weekend? Thanks for the reply

Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,883,359 times
I haven't been to the local flea-market here in Prescott Valley since last summer (I only go when it's warm out).

Here they normally sell lots of jewelry, clothes, shoes, knives, military memorabilia, and other stuff you normally see at flea-markets. I can get some really cheap makeup and jewelry are my favorite things to get at one.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:52 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
I used to go often but haven't gone in prob. a year or so - did go recently though - there were some inside and outside booths - even inside there were a ton of empty spots - I don't see how many can sustain a living b/c of the economy - no one has extra $$. I was surprised though, there were quite a few pocketbook vendors (of all things!), seemed every few stands, in fact - a few produce vendors outside - that was about it. Maybe we picked an off-weekend - will go back again once it warms up but it's not how it used to be w/ candle vendors, jewelry etc - I dont see how they can even pay the rent, much less make a profit. Didn't spend a nickel (which was fine) but it was a little disappointing as I like to 'window shop' the few times I go and just walk around etc.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:16 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
sounds good. Did you do this every weekend? Thanks for the reply
Yes to a degree. I would start in August and stay till march or April. X-mas was best and got real slow thru Jan. then picked up till it started to get warm and people would be going to lake and other outdoor activities.

When weather was bad it got better. My booth was more like a garage sale but we did have our landlord who donated a storage unit of old glassware and misc. so he could get unit cleared out and rerented.

That helped alot. We had about 200 large boxes and alot of kids little toys like cars,trucks, and action figures. We sold these for .25 cents each and made at least half of booth rent a week, (18.00).

We had two tables with glassware, most marked for 5.00 to 10.00 each but since we had so much and it was given to us we sold for 2.00ea on one table and 1.00ea on other.

We averaged 150.00/weekend and our highest was 400.00/weekend but in slower months we could not give it away. So we would do deals like buy one 2.00item and get 2 free.

We did this for extra money of course but mainly for me to get out of house and able to meet people, since I'm disabled and don't work.

We now live in Nebraska and thinking about opening a yr round garage sale type in my garage. Also it is only way I can get a garage since my property is zoned commercial/residential and if I have a home based buisness I can build a garage. Never heard of such a rule but it's true.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:32 PM

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have spoken to a couple of people here in the DFW area that do this six months out of the year. They say they can avg around $1,200 to $2,000 per weekend selling sunglasses, baseball hats, sports memorabilia, some camo stuff(MRE's especially), and hand tools. I know my dad had a garge sale at his house this past summer and cleared something like $1,300 on basic stuff(tools, dvd's, furniture, etc). I am raring to go and make some moola....

Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
I think they sell just about anything in Flea Markets... except fleas!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:52 AM

426 posts, read 1,282,345 times
Default Flea Markets

I sell occasssionally in the suburbs ooutside of Detroit. What mostly sells here at least for the collectors is glassware and antiques.Tools also sell well.Of course that is not what I sell and have'nt got a clue what is good or not for antiques. Wish I knew more about that stuff, but most people that sell that stuff at garage sales are up on it, so I imagine it would be getting harder to get something really valuable for a quarter.
I sell VHS tapes, records, video games some toys and odds and ends. Some spots are better than others. I sell outside on the weekends. The economy here is I do think is affecting sales, but there are the die hard collectors that the economy has not impacted.
I live kind of out of the way from all the fleamarkets, so selling anything for a quarter is hardly worth the effort. If I can't get a dollar I am not selling. Most people don't even want to part with that.
After packing up,driving out there and setting up, sitting in the blazing sun for six hours, then reloading and driving home, it makes for a long day. Then start all over the next day. But right now I need to get rid of all the stuff i have accumulated and this is the only way to do it. I sell the stuff that is worth more online.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:15 AM

17 posts, read 36,716 times
When work took me to Ukraine and as I did not want to pay ebay fees I started to list a few items at

my-little-auctions.com

100% Free to use and you do not pay a cent however many items you list of sell.

The most unusual items sell and below are a list to just a few items I have sold so if you have a few minutes give it a try.

If I had to suggest a fair trial I would say list 10 items, if you have that many, using the 28 day option and see how many bids or takers on the 'Buy it Now' option. It works for me and I an see no reason why it would not work for anyone else.

Hope the above helps.

Best wishes, John.

DELTA AIRLINES AIRBUS A320 SR AIR SAFETY PASSENGER BRIEFING CARD
my-little-auctions.com DELTA AIRLINES AIRBUS A320 SR AIR SAFETY PASSENGER BRIEFING CARD

SHOCK AND SAFARI CHOCOLATE WRAPPERS FROM ELVAN TURKEY
my-little-auctions.com SHOCK AND SAFARI CHOCOLATE WRAPPERS FROM ELVAN TURKEY

TWO SOVIET SAILORS PHOTOGRAPH WITH PERSONAL MESSAGE 1946
my-little-auctions.com TWO SOVIET SAILORS PHOTOGRAPH WITH PERSONAL MESSAGE 1946
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques