Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:57 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Okay, you convinced me. The NCAA, athletic departments, and university presidents simply view student athletes and collegiate athletics as mere non-profit ventures that represent their university. There are no million dollar coaches in the Little 11 or Pac 1. Those conference schools never feel the need to update their stadiums or athletic complexes, because they look only to break even. The Little 11 Network was formed not to make money or promote their sports, it's all about academics. Ha, trying to find a sporting event on that channel.

I don't have the Nebraska revenue numbers right in front of me, but 10 million a year towards their athletic department would at minimum be 10 percent of their yearly revenue. Unless they're a top ten revenue earner already, it's a higher percentage than that. Yeah, chump change right there. Obviously the move was academically influenced.

The Vols bad football team has tons to do with this topic. If I had a laughable argument I'd probably go that direction as well.

LOL.

Nebraska total athletic revenues last year was 74 million. Tenessee's was 92 million. If it were about money the Big Ten would have gone after Tennessee.

And you missed my entire point. Of course some of it has to do with football and adding money to the athletic budget. But that is only 10 million a year or so. We are talking 100s of millions a year in added research dollars.

I know you went to the "University" of Tennessee but even a Vol grad can figure out that 100s of millions (billions over a decade) trumps 10 million or so.

Good luck against Oregon this fall. I bet they are scared ****less in Eugene. TeeHeeHee.

And if were just about adding a football team we would have got the Wyoming Cowgirls. They got a 2 game winning streak against the almighty SEC. LOLs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Nebraska is a great fit, and you are right: Nebraska wants to be there. Fans are ecstatic about the future, even if nostalgic about the past. Osborne polled all his coaches, all sports, twice last week expecting 60/40 support. It was 100% both times.

Nebraska fans are knowledgeable and passionate--they know about Bo and Woody and three yards and a cloud of dust. Big Ten always seemed a little proud to us, but when you look at the facts, Big Ten has a lot to be proud of academically. Nebraska will improve (as Penn State did) and the political support for the move (i.e., funding) is there.

Ohio State alum Bo Pelini probably hasn't quit grinning yet.

I can't wait to see Huskers-Hawkeyes, Huskers-Buckeyes, the Barry Alverez reunions, and all the other great stuff that will come out of this.

I can't wait for Nebraska. I've been wanting you all to join for 30 years. Evryone else was talking about Missouri. Not a bad addition but not a great one either.

I heard Pelini a couple months ago talking about the Big Ten. I thought right then it was a done deal.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
It doesn't work, Ohio. You can't explain it to people outside our region. They're not going to get it. They don't have a clue about what our relationship is with this conference. They don't understand that it is academic pride that feeds the athletic fandome.

Ours is a region of exceptional public universities, more than any other than molded what the quality public education would look like. UVa and UNC, being east coast publics, are older than ours. But here in the midwest, we developed the concept of what the comprehensive public university would look like and every one of our states ending up having among the best. No, it wasn't UVa or UNC, for all their unquestionable excellence, that set the model for the direction and shape the American public university would go. No, that honor belongs to U-M.

Other conferences are on par with the Big Ten at the top (No question that the Pac Ten's Cal and Stanford and the ACC's Duke and UVa are in the same type of grouping as the Big Ten's Northwestern and Michigan), but no conference in the BCS is top to bottom academically strong as the Big Ten. And none has that special relationship built around academics. Even the Pac Ten, with schools like Cal, Stanford, UCLA, SC, and Wash, doesn't get the conference related juices going the way the Big Ten does.

I'm not trying to be arrogant here (though I'm sure many would think otherwise). I'm just noting that from a value's perspective, Big Ten fans are particularly taken by the notion of high powered academic and research schools in the conference.
Weel stated. And too many people are looking at Expansion-Palooza as nothing more than sports. Sports fans aren't the ones making the decisions.

It's conference commissioners, politicians in the state houses and D.C., athletic directors and TV execs. And very little is based on fan emotionalism.

In order to determine who might go where you have to think like those people. They are the ones making the decisions. They don't think like Joe six pack sitting down to watch the Ohio State-Iowa game on Saturday.

If the Big Ten goes to 14 I think they go after Maryland and Notre Dame. If ND says 100 percent no way, then I expect Maryland and Rutgers/Pitt.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:33 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Nebraska total athletic revenues last year was 74 million. Tenessee's was 92 million. If it were about money the Big Ten would have gone after Tennessee.

And you missed my entire point. Of course some of it has to do with football and adding money to the athletic budget. But that is only 10 million a year or so. We are talking 100s of millions a year in added research dollars.

I know you went to the "University" of Tennessee but even a Vol grad can figure out that 100s of millions (billions over a decade) trumps 10 million or so.

Good luck against Oregon this fall. I bet they are scared ****less in Eugene. TeeHeeHee.

And if were just about adding a football team we would have got the Wyoming Cowgirls. They got a 2 game winning streak against the almighty SEC. LOLs.
No one expects any conference to commit an act of futility. There's not a single SEC school that would ever leave for the Little 11, not even uber-academic Vanderbilt. Tennessee or any other SEC school were not offered because your powers that be in the Little 11 have no interest being laughed at.

If you're going to interject the conversation with non pertinent statements about the Vols, at least bother getting your facts straight.

Wyoming probably would join though. They would win big in that conference.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
No one expects any conference to commit an act of futility. There's not a single SEC school that would ever leave for the Little 11, not even uber-academic Vanderbilt. Tennessee or any other SEC school were not offered because your powers that be in the Little 11 have no interest being laughed at.

If you're going to interject the conversation with non pertinent statements about the Vols, at least bother getting your facts straight.

Wyoming probably would join though. They would win big in that conference.
I knew Volunteer fans were just a little delusional when they believed that Peyton Manning would lead them to a national championship by beating the newest member of "the Little 11." Remember? 17-42, and some of the 17 came against the 3rd string? Remember? You fans do make a statement all dressed in orange, though, even if you look like a road litter crew from the county jail.

Last edited by marcopolo; 06-13-2010 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: word choice

Old 06-13-2010, 08:16 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
I thank God for The Ohio State University hospital for saving my pre-mature grandchild and the 24/7 loving care they gave.The staff and their compassion to my family when my Mother was dying...thank you.The Big Ten family is more than just football...

Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Weel stated. And too many people are looking at Expansion-Palooza as nothing more than sports. Sports fans aren't the ones making the decisions.

It's conference commissioners, politicians in the state houses and D.C., athletic directors and TV execs. And very little is based on fan emotionalism.

In order to determine who might go where you have to think like those people. They are the ones making the decisions. They don't think like Joe six pack sitting down to watch the Ohio State-Iowa game on Saturday.

If the Big Ten goes to 14 I think they go after Maryland and Notre Dame. If ND says 100 percent no way, then I expect Maryland and Rutgers/Pitt.
People don't even realize that a game that means so much to you: OSU vs. U-M means a lot to the rest of us, too, and that we honestly believe that that's how the season should end, be in the Shoe or the Big House.

Indeed, given my choice in a 12 team B10, I'd go for an 11 game round robin, even if it allowed only one out of conference game...and screw the championship game unless two teams tied for first in the regular season.

The teams I like....NU, UI, Iowa...could easily get by with one out of conference game each:

Iowa-Iowa State
Illinois-Missouri
Northwestern-???????? hey, what the heck, let's make it an academic Rose Bowl and make it Stanford every year

Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Ohio, you may think I've been smoking grass on this one, but below is my idea of the perfect Big Dozen Conference. It stays within the original seven state footprint (sorry, Penn State). It includes a school that doesn't even play big time football anymore, has no desire to, couldn't compete if it did, but is academically tied to the conference and was one of its founding members (and resurrects a great Windy City cross town rivalry. And my league would include a union that should have been made years ago between the powerhouse league and the unique team that defines a region.

And I'm going with that 11 team round robin with a championship game only to break a tie if it occurs.

It's mission impossible, but just for fun:

Chicago
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Old 06-14-2010, 05:30 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Ohio, you may think I've been smoking grass on this one, but below is my idea of the perfect Big Dozen Conference. It stays within the original seven state footprint (sorry, Penn State). It includes a school that doesn't even play big time football anymore, has no desire to, couldn't compete if it did, but is academically tied to the conference and was one of its founding members (and resurrects a great Windy City cross town rivalry. And my league would include a union that should have been made years ago between the powerhouse league and the unique team that defines a region.

And I'm going with that 11 team round robin with a championship game only to break a tie if it occurs.

It's mission impossible, but just for fun:

Chicago
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin
Is the Chicago University football stadium still there? I believe that is where Enrico Fermi actually split the atom...under the home side stands? I believe they did win the Big 10 championship in football once.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
As long as the Big 10 stages the championship game in Indianapolis, they can exapnd away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football