U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 27 days ago)

9,838 posts, read 21,142,259 times

Advertisements

It looks like the Big East dodged a bullet this round - there will be no domino effect where the ACC and Big 10 would need to raid it's best teams.

Being a fan of a school that could be hung out to dry in the next go round I really hope the BE commissioner doesn't do what I think he's about to do: nothing.

What I feel the Big East can do now to either avoid being raided, or at least be strong enough to survive a raid...

1. Kick out the weaker non football schools that do not add any new tv markets.

The BE could remove Seton Hall and St Johns still maintain the NYC market via Rutgers. Those two schools contribute nothing athletically. If Notre Dame stays a partial member there is also no need to keep DePaul to have the Chicago market. The BE would also be just fine without Milwaukee and Providence.

2. Add some public universities that make geographical sense and play decent football.

Given that the BE ranks last by far in tv revenue among BCS conferences it could use a championship game - that means having 12 football schools. I favor kicking out Seaton Hall, Providence, St Johns, and DePaul and bringing in East Carolina, Temple, Marshall, and Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,434,783 times
By Milwaukee do you mean Marquette? I just see your plan as completely crippling a great basketball conference. The Mid Atlantic and NE might be the only part of the country where Basketball is more important than Football. Don't destroy a Great Basketball conference, for a slightly more mediocre, Football conference.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:45 AM

6,183 posts, read 4,989,654 times
Seton Hall and St. John's historically have good basketball teams plus they need to retain the "Parkway Series" with RU vs SH. Honestly they're like 30 minutes apart.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,100,781 times
The Big East kicked Temple out of the conference right before the ACC raided them. The Big East, in a desperate spot, did not add Temple back. Why would they add them now?

The only thing the Big East needs to do is come hard after Notre Dame. Let them keep their NBC contract, let them keep a bigger share of their BCS money. The Big East needs to stop babysitting Notre Dame's non-revenue sports if ND is not going to join in football.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
I think the NCAA needs to make a rule that all conferences need to keep their damn hands to themselves. If a team wants to leave their conference, they can put the word out and talk to conferences but no way should a conference be able to extend invitations to schools in another conference that are still under contract.

I hope karma catches up to the Big Ten and Pac-10. It kind of already did with the USC football scandal. That will cost them a few million.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:09 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,200,549 times
The problem is the Big East can't solidify into anything more than a somewhat better more spread out MAC. Its geographic area covers the SEC, Big 10, and ACC as well as a few mid-major conferences. It can't raid the SEC or Big 10. It can't even raid the ACC on its own now. The conference is a bunch of schools that should be in mid-major conferences or independents, but because Miami was a member once the BCS keeps the conference on life support.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:42 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,721,745 times
Lets face it the Big East is a bball conference.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,117,296 times
The problem for the Big East is that their structure makes it difficult to add any more schools right now. The best bet right now would be to help upgrade any FCS schools in the conference to FBS to have more football schools. The best bet on survival is to expand if the Big XII collapses in the future and take whoever is left there.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:00 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
ECU, Temple, Memphis, and Marshall? might as well throw in DeVry and the University of Phoenix

Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,907,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I think the NCAA needs to make a rule that all conferences need to keep their damn hands to themselves. If a team wants to leave their conference, they can put the word out and talk to conferences but no way should a conference be able to extend invitations to schools in another conference that are still under contract.

I hope karma catches up to the Big Ten and Pac-10. It kind of already did with the USC football scandal. That will cost them a few million.
Big Ten doesn't invite schools. A school must apply for membership.

Can't speak about the PAC-10.

And the NCAA regulates rules on the field and scholarship type stuff.

They have zero say in conference affiliation. If they tried I imagine schools would just leave the NCAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football