Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Boise State Runs the Table, should they get a shot at the National Title over a 1-Loss AQ Team?
Yes, they couldn't do better than they did, with quality wins at VT and OS 17 54.84%
No, Are you kidding? Their competition was too weak. They played against Idaho, Nevada, Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Toledo...etc. 14 45.16%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
You are working under the assumption that the BCS is about finding the best team in the nation?

So naive, So naive.
It is often who they can get the most money from. But they also have to be aware to not be flagrant about it. One issue that the BCS has to know is the threat of lawsuits if something is very flagrant.

One related issue, I remember seeing how the current BCS criteria for determining auto-bids stand right now for this evalution period that takes current realignment into consideration for numbers. At this point the Mountain West is only short in one criteria and not by much, also that the ACC is the same way in falling short but isn't as high in the other two categories. (I think in one criteria the Mountain West is number 1 among conferences) If it holds up for the rest of the evaluation period they either have to give an auto-bid to the MWC or the ACC loses their or else the BCS would open themselves up for anti-trust lawsuits. Also have to consider the wild cards for auto bids of at least one AQ conference collapsing in the next couple of years and/or adding the Cotton Bowl as another game. Either one of those could hand the MWC an AQ bid by default and to silence the BCS critics for a while. Though at this point it is likely the MWC champion would earn a bid anyway.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:27 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
It is often who they can get the most money from. But they also have to be aware to not be flagrant about it. One issue that the BCS has to know is the threat of lawsuits if something is very flagrant.

One related issue, I remember seeing how the current BCS criteria for determining auto-bids stand right now for this evalution period that takes current realignment into consideration for numbers. At this point the Mountain West is only short in one criteria and not by much, also that the ACC is the same way in falling short but isn't as high in the other two categories. (I think in one criteria the Mountain West is number 1 among conferences) If it holds up for the rest of the evaluation period they either have to give an auto-bid to the MWC or the ACC loses their or else the BCS would open themselves up for anti-trust lawsuits. Also have to consider the wild cards for auto bids of at least one AQ conference collapsing in the next couple of years and/or adding the Cotton Bowl as another game. Either one of those could hand the MWC an AQ bid by default and to silence the BCS critics for a while. Though at this point it is likely the MWC champion would earn a bid anyway.
You don't think schools like Ohio State and Florida would just dissolve the BCS and start something else (like a mini-playoff) if the MWC were included? Including the MWC would mean about 18 million a year less for one of the current BCS conferences. People don't just give away 18 million in the interest of fairness.

I kinda hope something does happen to break up the BCS. Someone gets hosed every year. Oregon, USC, Utah, Auburn, Wisconsin. Someone is always getting left out of a BCS game.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:18 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Quote:
I kinda hope something does happen to break up the BCS. Someone gets hosed every year. Oregon, USC, Utah, Auburn, Wisconsin. Someone is always getting left out of a BCS game.
Kind of funny though. Most of the proponents for a multi-team playoff always say "Take the top 8 (or whatever number) from the BCS and have a playoff." Well what about number nine? I guess my point is that someone will always be "left" out. The BCS is far from perfect but at least it is a playoff. Most people don't realize that.

One just has to look at NCAA Basketball, I guess 64 teams isn't enough?

I don't have an answer to the BCS problem but I do think it is an improvement over the old two poll system.

My problem with BSU is that they always struggle on the road to a mediocre team (last year it was Tulsa). Bottom line is that they would never have gone and never would go undefeated in ANY BCS conference.

I pray that they don't go undefeated this year.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
Quote:
You don't think schools like Ohio State and Florida would just dissolve the BCS and start something else (like a mini-playoff) if the MWC were included? Including the MWC would mean about 18 million a year less for one of the current BCS conferences. People don't just give away 18 million in the interest of fairness.

I was also thinking about the non-profit status of college athletics also being an issue.

Also having the MWC added there is likely to be either one more BCS game added or one current BCS conference folding at some point.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times
Quote:

I think the idea would be to add another bowl game like the Cotton Bowl. The inclusion of another BCS game should cover the extra expense and actually add another BCS spot for the current BCS conferences.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Kind of funny though. Most of the proponents for a multi-team playoff always say "Take the top 8 (or whatever number) from the BCS and have a playoff." Well what about number nine? I guess my point is that someone will always be "left" out. The BCS is far from perfect but at least it is a playoff. Most people don't realize that.

One just has to look at NCAA Basketball, I guess 64 teams isn't enough?

I don't have an answer to the BCS problem but I do think it is an improvement over the old two poll system.

My problem with BSU is that they always struggle on the road to a mediocre team (last year it was Tulsa). Bottom line is that they would never have gone and never would go undefeated in ANY BCS conference.

I pray that they don't go undefeated this year.
Agreed. The BCS is flawed, but look how far college football has come in the last 15 years. At least we don't name the NC before the bowl season starts.

I may be in the minority, but I love bowl season. Yes, the NC game often ends in ambiguity and sometimes frusteration, but the weeks and matchups leading up to it are great. Heck, some years the NC game is great, too.

I'd be happy with moving the BCS games back to New Year's day and having a plus-one game. Someone will get left out at times, but like NeverGoingBack said, someone can get left out under any scenerio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football