Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
In terms of the earlier post on the BIG XII, it is still no more stable and everyone distrusts each other more now than before. Don't forget the TV deal that was promised that saved the conference might not materialize. If that happens then anything is off the table. Also note the Big Ten might expand again after this season, and that the SEC would react to that. The latter did seem to hint they would go after a number of Big XII teams before ACC teams. Either one of those actions will likely mean one or more teams leave with the most likely being Mizzou and Texas A&M who are likely the only other teams than Texas that can trigger the end of the conference.
Assuming that the Big 10 DOESNT EXPAND (if they thought Rutgers, etc. would get New York theydve gotten them already), honestly the Big XII is run by Texas (at least it seems).

What can anyone do, If Kansas is screwed even in light of it's basketball prowess than I don't think ANYONE ELSE has ANY teeth at ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 02:46 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I could definitely see the Cotton Bowl becoming a new BCS game. They have the stadium now for it (jerry-world, as we call it in dallas).
Arlington.....

And yeah, the Cotton Bowl SHOULD be a BCS game. It was one of the first Bowl games, right? It held national championship games.... why not?

Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM

One opinon is that BYU is biding it's time to see what the WAC will do.

Video: BYU and the WAC - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN

Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Arlington.....

And yeah, the Cotton Bowl SHOULD be a BCS game. It was one of the first Bowl games, right? It held national championship games.... why not?
The Cotton Bowl goes back to 1937. During its storied history it certainly did have games that decided the national championship.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:53 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Assuming that the Big 10 DOESNT EXPAND (if they thought Rutgers, etc. would get New York theydve gotten them already), honestly the Big XII is run by Texas (at least it seems).

What can anyone do, If Kansas is screwed even in light of it's basketball prowess than I don't think ANYONE ELSE has ANY teeth at ALL.
I get the thought that they wanted to only expand by one first so they can get things straightened out with a championship game and divisions. Then look a little later to decide what to do next. Though they might of wanted to wait to invite Nebraska but events forced their hand to grab one early. How the divisions end up will also give a hint as to who they will likely grab next if its within the next decade or so, they wouldn't want to shift teams around right after setting them up. An East/West alignment gives away who they invite if they expand again in the near future (it would be Mizzou and some East school), a North/South alignment would make it more vague and make it easier to solely go East.

If anything has been learned is that basketball prowess means nothing which really shafts Kansas. Though they might be shafted due to smaller market and a potential little brother issue. Though there are scenarios where they could end up (along with Missouri) in any current BCS conference depending on events.

Well the only ones that have real control over it is Texas and Notre Dame where if they want to do something the conferences will listen. (BYU might have this role now in determining the fate of a conference) One wild card is the conflicting report on weather or not the SEC invite to Texas A&M is an open one? If it is they basically said if the money doesn't come they might take up the offer.

I think the Cotton Bowl will be a BCS game when negotions are up again. If it is I can see it highly tied into the MWC getting an auto-bid. My guess is if that happens the Big XII champ will move from the Fiesta to the Cotton and the MWC champ to the Fiesta.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 PM

I read in a lot of the bruhaha of the Big XII drama that the big XII heads DIDN'T like the conference championship idea. I forgot why, but I distinctly remember that. They don't seem to care.

Notre Dame won't move until they're looking down a barrel of a gun.

Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta Orange and the BIG ONE. That would be sweet.

Only deal is, I'd like more bowls spread out across the networks because I hate ESPN running everything. Although as a college student I REALLY LIKE their streaming practically EVERYTHING on ESPN3

Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I read in a lot of the bruhaha of the Big XII drama that the big XII heads DIDN'T like the conference championship idea. I forgot why, but I distinctly remember that. They don't seem to care.

Notre Dame won't move until they're looking down a barrel of a gun.

Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta Orange and the BIG ONE. That would be sweet.

Only deal is, I'd like more bowls spread out across the networks because I hate ESPN running everything. Although as a college student I REALLY LIKE their streaming practically EVERYTHING on ESPN3
The reason they didn't like the idea of the championship is due to how often it knocked off a team from going to the national title game.

The Irish won't do it unless they are forced to. If the BCS changes their rules relating to them that is likely enough to change their stance. I can also see if forced to they might decide to join the ACC if for no other reason than to spite the Big Ten, especially if the Big Ten tried acting in a way to force them to join. The reason they might do that is that they would play a more national schedule and not play mostly in the Midwest since being in the Big Ten they would be percieved as just another Midwest University. Also you have to consider the ACC has several private schools already in their ranks so they might in some ways be a better fit there.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:04 PM

I'm an ACC guy, but FIT SCHMIDT.

(Note this is not directly aimed at you pal)

Fits, fits, fits. This fit stuff is overrated. Utah and Colorado aren't the right academic "fit" lined up to UCLA, USC, Stanford and Cal. It's about FOOTBALL MONEY and what place you can make THE MOST OF IT.

ND unless they get a HUGE shafting by Big Ten, I doubt is gonna go somewhere just out of "spite". The Big Ten would be the best place because as it stands, that's the place where they could make the most MONEY.
ACC doesn't come close, we don't have nearly as much street cred as the Big 10 does in football.

In fact if you want to through out the academic fit deal in there, Notre Dame would best be served going to the Big 10 because they have the most robust academic consortium out there. (Do other conferences even have one?)

Anyways, it's been interesting seeing the reaction across the nation's papers and radio.

ESPN Fresno is pissed off at being called selfish by the WAC commish.

ESPN Vegas doesn't get what BYU is angling at and thinks it's making a (futile) Texas style power play. They do want out of the crappy mtn TV deal though.

Salt Lake Tribune hasn't said much related to BYU today aside from explaining why it considered independence in the first place.

One supposed "insider" on the Houston Cougars scout board says that Houston is a real POSSIBILITY for inclusion in a BYU-inclusive MWC. Haven't seen much reaction to that from Houston sport radio or the Houston Chronicle which is caught up with Roger Clemens mainly.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I'm an ACC guy, but FIT SCHMIDT.

(Note this is not directly aimed at you pal)

Fits, fits, fits. This fit stuff is overrated. Utah and Colorado aren't the right academic "fit" lined up to UCLA, USC, Stanford and Cal. It's about FOOTBALL MONEY and what place you can make THE MOST OF IT.

ND unless they get a HUGE shafting by Big Ten, I doubt is gonna go somewhere just out of "spite". The Big Ten would be the best place because as it stands, that's the place where they could make the most MONEY.
ACC doesn't come close, we don't have nearly as much street cred as the Big 10 does in football.

In fact if you want to through out the academic fit deal in there, Notre Dame would best be served going to the Big 10 because they have the most robust academic consortium out there. (Do other conferences even have one?)

Anyways, it's been interesting seeing the reaction across the nation's papers and radio.

ESPN Fresno is pissed off at being called selfish by the WAC commish.

ESPN Vegas doesn't get what BYU is angling at and thinks it's making a (futile) Texas style power play. They do want out of the crappy mtn TV deal though.

Salt Lake Tribune hasn't said much related to BYU today aside from explaining why it considered independence in the first place.

One supposed "insider" on the Houston Cougars scout board says that Houston is a real POSSIBILITY for inclusion in a BYU-inclusive MWC. Haven't seen much reaction to that from Houston sport radio or the Houston Chronicle which is caught up with Roger Clemens mainly.
I know fits don't really mean much. One reason is there may not be many that can be an academic fit for one. (that and the Big Ten really is the only one that has firm standards for it, likely due to enough schools they can add have the AAU requirement)

Have to also note that ND would leave money on the table. If it was solely money they would of joined the Big Ten already. It looks like their pride is playing a big role in their actions. They look to be the only one that might not make a move based on money.

In terms of TV deals, I remember seeing things about the MWC commisioner talking to people about a new contract. My guess is don't be suprised if they get a new deal that pays much better than now with clauses if they earn an auto-bid and future expansion especialy if it deals with Big XII teams. You are right in that if BYU stays it looks like Houston would get invited next. (also note if they can join for 2011 it will help that much more in earning an auto-bid)

Since you are an ACC guy, I am thinking the new ESPN deal might fight off teams from leaving. Since they also hold one of the SEC contracts they might tell them to not poach ACC teams at least first. (some indications were that this is the case) That really knocks down the list of who they might go for especially since Texas said absolutely no (OU is out since they decided to follow UT). My guess is the ACC should be more concerned about the Big Ten taking teams since it looks like they really are looking at Maryland and possibly Virginia. (although as charter members they may not be interested, which is why the SEC likely isn't even considering any NC schools due to them not interested)

I am not too sure if the WAC survives this next week. At this point La Tech might find a new home (travel costs must be a pain) and Hawaii might go independant since that is their only other option. (but very well could pull it off since they can get good teams to play at home since the opponent then can play a 13th game to more than offset the costs, it also means Hawaii likely plays at least 9 home games) The only real chices for the WAC is a combination of teams in Texas or FCS upgrades. Of the latter my guess is Montana is at the top of their list, but I am not sure if they are interested or they may just want to be the biggest shark in the FCS tank. But if they did join they could be another Boise State and in a few years be the top team in a depleted conference, then the WAC risks losing them in a decade or so to the Mountain West.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 PM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times
WAC Should dissolve, like really. They got no one now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football