Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 04:43 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Jacory Harris, I will be glad once this game is over! so long sucka! Meanwhile Al Golden get an extension through 2020 so he will not be going to Penn State!
I'm glad the whole season is done. Golden is right about getting them in the weight room-a troop of Girl Scouts have more upper body strength than the defensive line. Oops-Harris just threw another interception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I'm glad the whole season is done. Golden is right about getting them in the weight room-a troop of Girl Scouts have more upper body strength than the defensive line.
Yeah I agree as well, when I heard him say that I couldn't be happier. It would also be nice to have some DB's bulk up and learn how to tackle.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:36 PM

I really like how open Al Golden is, he actually answers the questions reporters ask and he is specific in his answers. Refreshing!

11/28/11 - Al Golden Pt. 1 - YouTube!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 PM

Miami All Access - YouTube

Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 PM

2012's College Football Teams To Cuddle, For The Moment - SBNation.com

"The Miami fanbase is the poison arrow tree frogs of college football: small, colorful, and will put you in the hospital if you come into contact with them."

Old 02-08-2012, 05:35 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
2012's College Football Teams To Cuddle, For The Moment - SBNation.com

"The Miami fanbase is the poison arrow tree frogs of college football: small, colorful, and will put you in the hospital if you come into contact with them."
Ths something to be proud of?

Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
This something to be proud of?
No just thought it was accurate and funny. I am ashamed at my teams lack of support for the Canes. The largest crowd the Canes ever drew was 82,000 V Fla State in 2002. Miami is s small college about 10,000 undergrads and 5,000 grad students. While they don't have student populations like ASU with 73,000 students they are not as small as Wake Forest with 7,000 total students. Nevertheless, despite South Florida being majority of people not originally from Florida there is no reason not to support Miami Hurricanes Football with 5 Rings and a great Baseball team with 4 National Championships. The U has been good or competitive or having reason to support them since 1980 that should be long enough time to build a hardcore group of crazy fans like Michigan Wolverines have.

Maybe Miami needs to rebuild a Orange Bowl Stadium but downsize it to fit their 25 year average of around 53,000 per game. So that being said maybe they need to build a stadium to a size like 60,000 which would be comparable to Vaught where Ole Miss plays. Sun Life stadium holds 76,000 people which is like William Brice Stadium where the gamecocks play.

Miami has had 35 games of 70,000 people or more at home but that's still not great since most of the Big Ten draws more than that in little over 2 and a half years not a life time like Miami has. I know Miami is a very expensive private school and one of the most expensive in the nation so maybe it's not fair to compare it to a state school where price is very low and the colleges are funded by tax dollars and Federal grants. Miami has talked about building a stadium on or near campus but I don't think that will draw more fans to the games. I say build a stadium with seating capacity at 60,000 and maybe and extra 20,000 in suites/group areas.

I don't know what can be done to booster Miami's attendance and maybe its fine and average for a school it's size but when Kentucky football averages 66,000 a game and BYU averages 62,000 and Tenn averages 100,000 a game well Miami is better than those schools and has a metro area of 6,000,000 it's pitiful that Miami doesn't draw more fans.

However TV ratings for Miami games are always great and why? I live in Milwaukee and I don't have a sports package to watch my U games but for the last 3 years I have not been able to watch only 3 games that weren't on TV. The networks seems to choose Miami over any other school even when Miami is having down years The U is still on Nat TV a lot. Take for instance Bowl games, any Bowl game Miami is in it seems to sell out asap maybe because it's a bowl game or maybe the reason why upper deck seats were selling for $300 when Miami played Notre Dame is because Miami is a team that America still loves to watch, villain role? don't know. Miami V Notre Dame sold out instantly and my guess when ND and The U meet up in Chicago this year at Solider Field it will be the same story BTW I have put my 300 aside to attend that game. ND is real close to Chicago so it will be a home game for ND but the Chicago Canes fans will come out. I think the reason Miami does so well on TV is they are a interesting team to watch even when they are having a down year. Dan Patrick said it best, "there are certain teams that people will just watch even if its a meaningless game and you're just flipping through the channels on a Saturday Miami is one of these teams, USC, Texas, LSU, ND"

One opinion from a dedicated U fan

List of American football stadiums by capacity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History: All-Time Attendance - HurricaneSports.com - The University of Miami Official Athletic Site (http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/080211aaa.html - broken link)

NCAA

College Football Stadiums

Old 04-21-2012, 03:11 AM

134 posts, read 239,253 times
Quote:
Maybe Miami needs to rebuild a Orange Bowl Stadium but downsize it to fit their 25 year average of around 53,000 per game. So that being said maybe they need to build a stadium to a size like 60,000 which would be comparable to Vaught where Ole Miss plays. Sun Life stadium holds 76,000 people which is like William Brice Stadium where the gamecocks play.
Obviously I'm a Miami fan. I'm glad you started a thread on this. I hate Joe Robbie Stadium/Pro Player Park/Pro Player Stadium/Dolfins Stadium/Dolfin Stadium/Land Shark Stadium/Sun Life Stadium/Whatever it will be named next. It is too far from the campus, it has no character/intimidation factor, The stands are too far away from the field, ect. I loved the Orange Bowl and also wished they would build a "New Orange Bowl". The OB was loud, intimidating and had character. Florida has The Swamp, Ohio State has the Horseshoe, Michigan has The Big House, LSU has Death Valley. We need our OWN stadium instead of sharing it with the ****ty Dolphins.

I am really excited to see what happens this year. Hopefully all the NCAA investigations will be closed and we can concentrate 100% on football.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Quarterback Kevin Olsen, brother of Greg Olsen, commits to Miami Hurricanes - ESPN

ESPN 150 quarterback Kevin Olsen (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Hills) gave an oral commitment to Miami on Friday. The 6-foot-2, 195-pound four-star prospect chose the Hurricanes over Auburn, South Carolina and Wisconsin.
"Miami just felt like the right place for me," Olsen said. "I am excited about playing under Al Golden, and I feel like he can bring Miami back to the place it was when my brother was there."

THE []_[] 2012 recruiting class. (STATE OF MIAMI) - YouTube

Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 PM

Miami Hurricanes Continue Recruiting Push and Land Alex Gall: Fan Perspective - Yahoo! Sports

Good article!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football