Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You can thank Mack Brown for that.
This is true. Here in Sooner Nation we're all hoping that Mack's contract gets extended indefinitely.

It's been known for a good while now that OU's best player in the Red River Shootout is Mack Brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 10:19 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,430 times
Im kinda surprised at this loss truely. It was looking promising at least in that second quarter. Gave up two early touchdowns but they brought a fight amd responded!! And basically that's what the fan base was waiting for.

However, the same end result was the same. Now I have a new bone to pick with Applewhite. He called the same damn running play 3 series in a row. I do believe they didn't have confidence in Case, setting him up for failure and creating a stagnant offense.

Why we ketp trying to run up the middle is beside me. We had success with the side line pass and jus over the backers. There were no adjustments made and it seems like the Mac has no grasp of the ship. Its gonna be a sad slow season here on out.

Texas Fight!!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
We will see what happens. But I dont this is true, unless President Powers and the Alumni are making noise is the war room.
The San Antonio Express-News touches base with Red McCombs every week or so. Before the season, he was saying that Mack had earned the right to go out as he pleased. After Diaz was let go, Red was less committed in his support for Mack. I don't imagine there are many living alums more important to the university than Red McCombs.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:21 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Ok, I don't follow TX football so I came here looking for answers from those that do.

Since Brown seems to be a recruiting machine, what is the problem?

Does he choose bad coordinators or is he a poor coach that interferes in the coordinators job\decisions or other factors?

A good explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2013, 01:41 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Now I have a new bone to pick with Applewhite. He called the same damn running play 3 series in a row. I do believe they didn't have confidence in Case, setting him up for failure and creating a stagnant offense.

Why we ketp trying to run up the middle is beside me. We had success with the side line pass and jus over the backers. There were no adjustments made and it seems like the Mac has no grasp of the ship.
The thing is, it's been like that forever. 10 years ago it was Greg Davis calling the same run up the middle plays on 1st and 2nd down, then incomplete pass or sideways pass for 0 yds on 3rd down. And the crowd would groan. The only explanation is that they our OC's keep thinking "hey, if we just get a block, we've got an amazingly athletic running back who could break it out"... then, every time our OL just gets steamrolled again.

There was a period of time that the sideways pass worked a bit, and we've always had the ability to make a "1 play" deep drive to a talented receiver for a TD. With the added running element of Colt or Vince those things carried us a long way. But the OL never was good, we could never play traditional smashmouth football against anyone. We had a couple of decent defenses over the years but mostly they suffered a similar lack of execution. No tackling, no beating their OL and getting pressure to the QB, etc. Looking back on it, I don't think we ever had good fundamentals on any of our teams. Talent, yes. Luck, yes. Favorable schedule, yes. Accurate field goal kickers? Sure.

I believe there is a deep cultural problem with our players... I think they come to town and realize "It's good to be a Longhorn". You got selected to the school all your football friends wanted to go to but couldn't get recruited. Austin is great, the facilities are great, everything is taken care of for you and you are coddled. Sure, you could work really hard... but why bother? It's not going to make a difference, you've already got everything you want. Maybe you pull something and need to rehab awhile. The hot tub is nice and you could get out of waking up early for practice for a few weeks.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:49 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The thing is, it's been like that forever. 10 years ago it was Greg Davis calling the same run up the middle plays on 1st and 2nd down, then incomplete pass or sideways pass for 0 yds on 3rd down. And the crowd would groan. The only explanation is that they our OC's keep thinking "hey, if we just get a block, we've got an amazingly athletic running back who could break it out"... then, every time our OL just gets steamrolled again.

There was a period of time that the sideways pass worked a bit, and we've always had the ability to make a "1 play" deep drive to a talented receiver for a TD. With the added running element of Colt or Vince those things carried us a long way. But the OL never was good, we could never play traditional smashmouth football against anyone. We had a couple of decent defenses over the years but mostly they suffered a similar lack of execution. No tackling, no beating their OL and getting pressure to the QB, etc. Looking back on it, I don't think we ever had good fundamentals on any of our teams. Talent, yes. Luck, yes. Favorable schedule, yes. Accurate field goal kickers? Sure.

I believe there is a deep cultural problem with our players... I think they come to town and realize "It's good to be a Longhorn". You got selected to the school all your football friends wanted to go to but couldn't get recruited. Austin is great, the facilities are great, everything is taken care of for you and you are coddled. Sure, you could work really hard... but why bother? It's not going to make a difference, you've already got everything you want. Maybe you pull something and need to rehab awhile. The hot tub is nice and you could get out of waking up early for practice for a few weeks.
>>>>>
we could never play traditional smashmouth football against anyone
<<<<<

And this is the demise of the Big XII on a national stage.

It's really sad because we pretty much perfected smashmouth previous to the BCS era with our Oklahoma, Nebraska, and to a lesser extent Texas teams.

The SEC took our template and developed it over several years within its league....this has become a great asset against teams from other conferences on the national stage. Although, both Oklahoma (against LSU in 2003, our OC calls four pass plays on the LSU 10 yard line? when their team was totally gassed and we ran it down their throat and against Florida in 2008, we played without DeMarrco Murray and had a few calls go against us) and Texas (2009, if y'all don't lose Colt Texas wins that game) were a chiggar's eyelash away from winning more national titles against the SEC.

Those wins by Oklahoma/Tejas would have definitely taken the shine off of the SEC a bit.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Tamba Bay Bucs coach Greg Schiano team looks like its in revolt agianst him and he might not last another year there. Would you want him as the next Longhorn coach(I think this is Mack's last go around)? Schiano's tough guy drill sergeant act may not cut it in the NFL, but he might be exactly the type of coach the the Horns need to whip a team that's soft and undispline into shape. What do you think?

Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
I think Mack goes out on his terms...somewhat. Isn't there a rumor that Dodds is retiring after this year? Then move Mack to that job.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, I don't follow TX football so I came here looking for answers from those that do.

Since Brown seems to be a recruiting machine, what is the problem?

Does he choose bad coordinators or is he a poor coach that interferes in the coordinators job\decisions or other factors?

A good explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Disclaimer - I am not a Texas fan. But that means I am not a fanboy either.

Brown WAS a recruiting machine. His first five years or so at Texas he revolutionized college recruiting with his early offers (October, November, etc. instead of Jan-Feb) and can't-visit-other-schools position. He absolutely kicked the recruiting azz of my school (A&M). Texas also paid its assistants very well, which helped with staff stability.

History is subject to revision, so there are lots of reasons given for UT's drop off. My theories:

- Mack (and Texas), has gotten lazy with player evaluation and recruiting. They offer too many younger players in high school and miss out on kids that develop in their senior years. Texas has more than adequate talent on the roster, but some of those players are just overrated. How can Malcolm Brown (RB), the #1 RB in Texas his senior year of high school, produce so little on the field?
- Texas doesn't hold coaches and players accountable. Mack kisses everyone's ass. Players who play badly stay on the field.
- Texas coddles its coaches and athletes. They have more money than anyone and it is just too comfortable to be an athlete at UT. Not enough hunger in that program.
- I don't think Mack is actually a good coach on the field. He is a CEO style of coach. He sets the strategy for the team. Could Applewhite really be that bad calling plays? If the playcalling is Applewhite, he is awful and shouldn't be the OC. They have too many co-coaches. They shouldn't have co-coordinators. The pecking order should be clear.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I think Mack goes out on his terms...somewhat. Isn't there a rumor that Dodds is retiring after this year? Then move Mack to that job.
No way in hell Mack gets the AD job. There not going to let him hire his replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football