Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
^^^^Glasgow should be a good defensive coordinator. He's been on TCU's defensive coaching staff for many years and would probably be hired as a DC soon anyway so I'm glad Tech got him. As you probably already know, TCU had the number one defense in the country this past season.
I think they've been #1 for the past three years. We got a good one, it appears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 AM

Default Interesting

It looks like Seth Doege is in the lead for starting QB position, ahead of Jacob Karam and Scotty Young:

Texas Tech's Seth Doege has lead in quarterback race | College Sports Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News

Also, West Virginia head coach designate Dana Holgorsen attended Friday's practice:

Future West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen visited Texas Tech's spring practice | College Sports Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News

The longtime Tech assistant led Houston's and Oklahoma State's offenses to top rankings nationally.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
^^^That's interesting. I've only seen Doege take a few snaps and I haven't seen the other two QB's in action at all. I've heard some good things about Karam and Young so it'll be interesting to see if Doege keeps that lead.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:21 PM

I saw Karam at last year's Red/Black game and on a webcast of the Weber State game. He looked pretty good at the first event, but didn't seem to do as well in the November game. It could have been nerves and/or rust, though.

Hopefully he and Young can have a good spring, so that it pushes the competition to a higher level.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:30 PM

Default New AD

Kirby Hocutt, a native of North Texas, will replace longtime athletic director Gerald Myers:

Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt hired away by Texas Tech for same position | College Sports Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News

He had been the University of Miami's athletic director since 2008.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Kirby Hocutt, a native of North Texas, will replace longtime athletic director Gerald Myers:

Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt hired away by Texas Tech for same position | College Sports Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News

He had been the University of Miami's athletic director since 2008.
That should be a good hire, so far I've read a lot of good things about Hocutt. Since he's a native Texan and wants to be closer to family in this state, he'll probably stay here longer than he did in Miami.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:50 AM

They just finished Hocutt's introductory press conference. Some points:

He's a native of San Antonio, but moved to Sherman (north of Dallas) at an early age.

He played football at Kansas State.

He was asked to do some things at Miami before getting to Tech full time, probably by the end of the month.

He mentioned the work of Myers and how the facilities are top-notch (over $200 million in investment since 1996), and how he's welcome any time. (I agree with his assessment of Myers. He and Montford among many others really got the ball rolling with regard to success in Lubbock.)

Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
He mentioned the work of Myers and how the facilities are top-notch (over $200 million in investment since 1996), and how he's welcome any time. (I agree with his assessment of Myers. He and Montford among many others really got the ball rolling with regard to success in Lubbock.)
That's good to hear. I haven't always agreed with Gerald Myers decisions over the years but I believe he has always tried to do what's in the best interest of Tech's athletic programs and I believe that he has done far more good things than bad. I wish Gerald Myers nothing but the best in his retirement.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:05 AM

Default Saturday

I'll be headed up to the Red/Black game, then try to eat, and then head over to the baseball game vs. NU.

Hopefully the QB competition will be fierce. I just saw a video on the front page of the ESPN college football section that had an interview with Doege. It got me jazzed up for Sat. He mentioned Sonny Cumbie and the TCU game in 2004 (good year BTW--also stomped Nebraska 70-10 and then upset Aaron Rodgers and the #4 Cal Bears in the Holiday Bowl.)

NCAA College Football Teams, Scores, Stats, News, Standings, Rumors - College Football - ESPN

I'm also looking forward to the revamped D. It would be nice if it got in some nice plays (in spring 2008 the D seemed to dominate).

Finally, the special teams need to play well. I can't stress that enough.

Also looking forward to seeing the newcomers.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 PM

About 15,000 (my estimate) showed up this year. Under clear blue skies with temperatures in the 60's and 70's, the team played itself magnificently.

Well, maybe the offense played okay. The D still needs a lot of work, and Chad Glasgow, the new coordinator, said as much.

QB Seth Doege was the clear leader at that position, and RB Eric Stephens may have been the overall MVP. The new guys at receiver like Marcus Kennard and Aaron Fisher should do well this year, and I like what I'm seeing out of running back Ronnie Daniels.

The defense wasn't completely chopped liver, as there were a lot of passes broken up and some picks.

Donnie Carona at kicker did pretty well, but punter Ryan Erxleben seemed to struggle.

Tech baseball won!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football