Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times

Advertisements

Man BSU is a polarizing team. I don't really care one way or the other. On one hand they are pretty good on the Field...how good I don't know. This sentence was removed as it was not football related.

Right now I'd make them a favorite against every team in college football sans Alabama. Oregon and Iowa would play them tough, too.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-27-2010 at 08:11 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
However, I doubt anyone had Ole Miss and Kansas meeting in the BCS Champoinship.
Of course you know that's not the point......

Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
A point about Boise's schedule that EVERYONE misses...

Yes, it's admittedly weaker than most BCS teams. However, BCS teams have many built in advantages as well (higher athletic budgets, partially due to more conference revenue, better recruiting territory, better tv deals, blah blah)...

But the most important advantages are that BCS teams can lose a game and still be in the conversation; they get to schedule OOC cupcakes, and they can have a losing or mediocre season and be right back in the discussion the next year.

It has taken Boise 3-6 years to finally get in the national championship conversation. If we run the table we will be 26-0 in the past two years, and 38-1 in the past three. We have had 4 undefeated regular seasons since 2004, and 2 complete undefeated seasons since then.

Point being, it takes us 2-3 years of constant success to get into the discussion, PLUS returning 23 starters, PLUS we need some luck in that we need BCS teams to lose to get in PLUS we supposedly have to blow everyone out.

We can't do anything about our conference slate. We've been trying to get out for years.

Ohio State has been building and spending money on football since Paul Brown was their coach. (He's the guy that started the NFL). Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC, Ann Arbor, Texas, Nebraska and so on have been building programs for a 100 or more. That is why they have the advantages.

Boise should be grateful they are in the conversation. It's pretty amazing what the Donleys have been able to accomplish in this short time.

There is no way they get in the NT game playing in the WAC. They an probably get in if they can run the tables in the MWC. Utah has been very close. The Donks have a better football rep than than Utah.

P.S. Ohio State had 14 players drafted in 2004. That was after a 4 loss season. And more than all the players Boise has ever had drafted. That's the difference.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Bascially i can believe Boise state was not drop fro the showing and 3 point win. look what happen to Florida for not winig in convincing fashion;they were dropped. Its just BCS politics really.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:09 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascially i can believe Boise state was not drop fro the showing and 3 point win. look what happen to Florida for not winig in convincing fashion;they were dropped. Its just BCS politics really.

Are you suggesting that BSU should be penalized for winning a close game, basically on the road, against a Top 10 (perennial) team? Whereas Florida should have 40 yards of Offense, through 3 quarters, against a MAC team, and not be dropped?

I dropped Florida right out of MY personal top 10. They won't be back in the Top 10. They'll lose to FSU, Alabama, Georgia...for sure...this year.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
I think conference makeup does have some design ... but it also has some geography, markets, etc

especially now

the Pac 10 likes to have an elitist mentality - but they are being ran by a guy who did good things will bull riding and took them on a media market blitz ... he's all about TV and promotion and if a school fit what he wanted to do in generating revenue the academics would work themselves out

Boise doesn't fit and it's only in minor part due to academics ..... they have around 19,000 students and 70,000 living alumni playing in an isolated metro of 1/2 million ...... $53M endowment ... academically it's a good regional university, but that is it .... they do have some good programs, but it's still growing .... the athletics on a whole are poor and they haven't even been playing D1 football for all that long

the Pac 10 has larger universities .... the smallest endowment in the PAC is Oregon State at $329M - over 6 times that of Boise

6 of their schools have enrollments over 30,000 students and both Utah and Colorado are right near that mark as well

they also love geographic pairs - UA & ASU, Berkeley & Stanford, UO & OSU, UW & WSU, USC & UCLA ..... Utah & CO aren't that far off from keeping that going as well and probably aren't much further than UW & WSU

Academics aren't really that balanced though .... although there are flaws, it's not a bad benchmark of comparison so I'll look at the USN&WR rankings

You have Stanford (5), Cal (22), USC (23) & UCLA (25) ... then Washington (41), Colorado (86), Oregon (111), Wazzou (111), Arizona (120), Utah (129), Oregon State (139) and ASU (143)

Very strong top half, very blah bottom half and some solid in the middle ....... top to bottom I'd put a few conferences ahead of the Pac 10 in academics - ACC, Big 10 and maybe even the Big East (more likely if you add in the basketball schools)

What the Pac 10 has is a nice grouping of all the major universities on the west coast - big schools, big alumni, big endowments, big markets ..... many schools that are super competitive in multiple sports

They want more than just the money sports .... they want womens sports to be competitive, they want baseball, etc ..... they call themselves the conference of champions and take that all very seriously

Does Boise stack up academically? - no - but then again it's a smaller university, a newly growing university, a one sport pony (pun intended), small campus, small alumni base, small endowment and a small market .... you wouldn't expect it to be at the level of the other schools ..... now if they had all the other aspects (market size, alumni base, endowment, etc) do you think the academics would keep them out ...... i'd definitely argue no and use the most recent schools they were courting as proof

if it were just academics they would of tried to lock up the newly independent BYU

this is all aside from the original assertion though that Boise is only competitive because they get non qualifiers or rejects from other schools academic standards - which is completely false .... even when looking at an overall decent academic set in the Pac 10

Old 09-07-2010, 09:25 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Ohio State has been building and spending money on football since Paul Brown was their coach. (He's the guy that started the NFL). Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC, Ann Arbor, Texas, Nebraska and so on have been building programs for a 100 or more. That is why they have the advantages.

Boise should be grateful they are in the conversation. It's pretty amazing what the Donleys have been able to accomplish in this short time.

There is no way they get in the NT game playing in the WAC. They an probably get in if they can run the tables in the MWC. Utah has been very close. The Donks have a better football rep than than Utah.

P.S. Ohio State had 14 players drafted in 2004. That was after a 4 loss season. And more than all the players Boise has ever had drafted. That's the difference.

1. That doesn't make it fair.

2. Show some respect. Who cares if they're not in a "real conference", whatever the hell that is? They're still winning games. Just like these other teams are. They at least deserve a shot. And to say that they shouldn't be in the top 5 is hypocritical considering that this is a system that picks and chooses who plays in the National Title solely because of who they are and not so much how they play.

And why do you care anyway? Isn't Ohio State ahead of Boise?

Yes, Ohio State and all those other schools have a better history and tradition than Boise State. Hell, even TCU's won National Championships an has been #1 at times. But guess what, THIS IS NOW.

And just a funny thing I'm seeing.... Alot of you guys probably picked VTech to destroy Boise State yesterday, saying they shouldn't even be in the top 15 after they lose. Now you're they still shouldn't be in the top 5 because they beat the #10 team in the nation by 3 points? It was Virginia Tech that had to come back and you say Boise shouldn't be #3?
What the hell's that?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 PM
JJG

And to tell ya the truth, I really don't like Boise State.... But I'm sick of this attitude that "because we're in this conference, and they're in that conference, we're better even though we've never played them."

Last edited by JJG; 09-07-2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Boise looks and plays like a legit team - since this whole thing is subjective as it is, I'll have to put them near the top until they quit looking like that

There have always been upstart programs that have added a little spice into the scene - boise has earned a spot in the conversation based on their past couple of years

taking the names away from the school they looked a lot better against Va Tech than some of the majors who people say are contenders did against mid-level programs

Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Boise State: leave your conference for the Big 12 or Pac-10. You can't play one or two tough games a year and call yourself BCS worthy, you just can't! You will get a million "sorrys" from people along the way, but it's your best way to become legit if you want to be a legitimate collegiate football team. It's like if the OSU Buckeyes played in the MAC (even though the MAC may be tougher).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football