U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,260,103 times
The reason the Big East is doing this is based on wanting to ensure they don't lose their auto-bid since they (along with the ACC) are becoming rather borderline on the criteria for determining auto-bid status.

One issue with the Big East will be its membership makeup in terms of football teams and teams of all other sports. This issue will make it tricky in terms of expansion. (why upgrading Villanova to FBS is likely what they would like most as a first step since it is easiest) Of course a big reason they are doing this now is to have new members set up for 2012 just in case the Big Ten does another expansion round in the next few months so they are just setting themselves up for survival.

Also with TCU if they get them it basically is a sign they are going to take everyone remaining in the Big XII if that collapses in the future.

The question with new members is how they will be added. Is it going to be an upgrade to FBS, a just football member, or all-sports members that will be added? One other thing is that there could be for balance purposes some non-football memebers added as a part of this and there are schools that would fit. (would likely be other catholic universities that are similar in profile to current members)
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:05 PM

674 posts, read 691,892 times
The geography aside, I think Boise State would be great in the Big East.

The geography is the obvious crucial factor, however. Too bad.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM

4,879 posts, read 2,145,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
The reason the Big East is doing this is based on wanting to ensure they don't lose their auto-bid since they (along with the ACC) are becoming rather borderline on the criteria for determining auto-bid status.

One issue with the Big East will be its membership makeup in terms of football teams and teams of all other sports. This issue will make it tricky in terms of expansion. (why upgrading Villanova to FBS is likely what they would like most as a first step since it is easiest) Of course a big reason they are doing this now is to have new members set up for 2012 just in case the Big Ten does another expansion round in the next few months so they are just setting themselves up for survival.

Also with TCU if they get them it basically is a sign they are going to take everyone remaining in the Big XII if that collapses in the future.

The question with new members is how they will be added. Is it going to be an upgrade to FBS, a just football member, or all-sports members that will be added? One other thing is that there could be for balance purposes some non-football memebers added as a part of this and there are schools that would fit. (would likely be other catholic universities that are similar in profile to current members)
I think Villanova just upgrades in football. They are already BE members in other sports.

TCU joins in football only. Joins Missouri Valley for other sports. You can be a member of a 1-A conference in football only as long as your other sports are not in another 1-A football conference. Missouri Valley is not 1-A in football. (For example, TCU could not join the BE in football and keep its other teams in the MWC because the MWC plays 1-A football).

This allows the BE to get to 10 in football. Stay at 16 in other sports. And they get in sizable market potential in Ft. Worth. Plus, it gives them a national power in football. Something they desperatley need.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:27 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

10,408 posts, read 9,934,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I think Villanova just upgrades in football. They are already BE members in other sports.

TCU joins in football only. Joins Missouri Valley for other sports. You can be a member of a 1-A conference in football only as long as your other sports are not in another 1-A football conference. Missouri Valley is not 1-A in football. (For example, TCU could not join the BE in football and keep its other teams in the MWC because the MWC plays 1-A football).

This allows the BE to get to 10 in football. Stay at 16 in other sports. And they get in sizable market potential in Ft. Worth. Plus, it gives them a national power in football. Something they desperatley need.
TCU will bring ALL sports with them. With a good baseball program a, pretty good women's hoops team, and a rising men's hoops team, I couldn't see them just having the football team join while everyone else stays in Mt. West.

It's better for the viewers since we don't have to stay up until midnight to see some games. And maybe there will be a better tv package for them. Big East can't be any worse than Mountain West. VS. and CBSSports suck.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
TCU will bring ALL sports with them. With a good baseball program a, pretty good women's hoops team, and a rising men's hoops team, I couldn't see them just having the football team join while everyone else stays in Mt. West.

It's better for the viewers since we don't have to stay up until midnight to see some games. And maybe there will be a better tv package for them. Big East can't be any worse than Mountain West. VS. and CBSSports suck.
They can't stay in the MWC for other sports if they join the BE in football. You cannot be a member of multiple 1-A football conferecnes at the same time.

Big East already has 16 teams in other sports. They don't need or want a 17th. They will not ask TCU to join other than football only. TCU will accept. TCU will then join either the Missouri Valley Conference or Big West Conference for other sports.

Book it.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
They can't stay in the MWC for other sports if they join the BE in football. You cannot be a member of multiple 1-A football conferecnes at the same time.

Big East already has 16 teams in other sports. They don't need or want a 17th. They will not ask TCU to join other than football only. TCU will accept. TCU will then join either the Missouri Valley Conference or Big West Conference for other sports.

Book it.
Missouri Valley? Big West....?

There may not be that much history and tradition with the other sports but, man, that sounds.... wierd.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:

There may not be that much history and tradition with the other sports but, man, that sounds.... wierd.
Not sure where else they would go. Are there any other conferences that make geographical sense and play 1-AA or less football?

Missouri Valley and Big West are both solid basketball conferences.

Just can't see the BE expanding to 17 teams for non-revenue sports.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Are you a TCU alum?

Do you know what TCUs home attendance average is? What the stadium capacity is?

I assume A&M, Tech and the Longhorns get more attention in Ft Worth/Dallas than TCU.

Could that change if TCU were to win a couple BE titles and get to BCS bowls? Especially if the Cowboys struggle?

And is there any chance SMU will get good again like when they had Dickerson? I think Hawaii's old coach is there now???

Old 11-04-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Are you a TCU alum?

Do you know what TCUs home attendance average is? What the stadium capacity is?

I assume A&M, Tech and the Longhorns get more attention in Ft Worth/Dallas than TCU.

Could that change if TCU were to win a couple BE titles and get to BCS bowls? Especially if the Cowboys struggle?

And is there any chance SMU will get good again like when they had Dickerson? I think Hawaii's old coach is there now???
- No. And I do know what the average attendance and capacity is. Small school with small alumni and little coverage in an area with too much competition (the Cowboys are enough) will equal that.

- Yes. But that could change. Especially how UT is under .500, Tech is just fairly decent (TCU beat them last time they played) and A&M ain't what it used to be. Nothing last forever....

- See above...

- And as a TCU fan and Fort Worthian, I could care less about the Ponies....

It's not that I'm saying it should happen, but the non-football teams going to "non FBS conferences" just sounds strange to me. I'm sure it would to most TCU fans (and they DO exist, BTW). Who knows? The Big East may actually drop a team in the future.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 PM

2,721 posts, read 2,139,633 times
I think it would make more geographic sense for TCU to be in the Southland conference for all other sports...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football