Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:42 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Football is NOT basketball... Regional rivalries have always been the cornerstone of playing football. Like I said its ridiculous... to have conference games halfway across the country.

TCU & The Big East are slutting themselves out for a National Title.

And yet TCU's coach doesnt want a playoff because it will hurt the integrity of the game... what a joke.

...and what regional rival is TCU leaving behind in the Mtn. West?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:43 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
There are regional rivalries in the Big East as it is?!

It's already a spread out conference for football.

You have Pittsburgh & WVU which are fairly close and have a distaste for each other

Louisville & Cincy aren't that far apart, but I don't think there is a ton of heat there ( I could be wrong)

Syracuse is on an island - it's also a relatively small private school ..... it's closest teams are large public universities in north jersey & CT and even they aren't really that close

morgantown & pittsburgh are 300-400 miles from cincy & louisville

then you have a team in tampa who does have a local rival that plays in another conference

TCU will be a little like USF in football .... near a good market and isolated

There just isn't a ton of heat though currently in the big east when it comes to football .... adding TCU doesn't diminish that at all - if anything, adding a team that is playing top 25 football fairly consistently can add interest and some potential for a rivalry based on the importance of the games moreso than geography

adding Nova would open up Philly to a degree - but it wouldn't add an existing rivalry, although they are within easy distance of Rutgers and not a world from Syracuse (would actually be some interest due to both having similar makeups as far as universities and an existing basketball history)

In fact, a lot of the heat in the big east comes from basketball - not football

This is where the teams history of playing each other are more established and the teams are more important on a national level (CT, Syracuse, Nova, Georgetown, Louisville are fairly prominent and many of the other teams are often competative as well)

Syracuse & georgetown are a huge rivalry - but not because of geography, but because they were each others largest competition for a long time and it's stuck

The NE just has a different mix of universities than a lot of the nation - you have cities like Philly where there are 6 teams playing D1 sports, but none are really huge players in football

Old 11-30-2010, 03:07 PM

39 posts, read 37,140 times
Sports Illustrated writer Luke Winn says TCU joining the Big East is a disaster for college basketball

Old 11-30-2010, 03:31 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
...teams in the non-BCS conferences are in for a rude awakening if they think they can run the table in a BCS conference. The level of play is SO much higher than they are used to...it's possible to lose to any team at any time rather then "dominating". The Big East has some quality programs, even if they aren't having a great year so far (Louisville, Pitt, UConn, Cincinnati, WVU, etc) - and everyone needs to remember that the season is far from over. Teams and conferences that are being hailed as the best could easily tumble, while teams and conferences that are being dubbed as having a down year could easily rise up...it's a long season.
LOL
were talking about the big east not the SEC or PAC 10.
honestly if TCU and Utah weren’t leaving the addition of Boise and Hawaii into the mountain west would have made it a far superior football conference than the big east.
TCU will own that conference in football. They’re located in the center of Texas. what kind of recruits do you think they're going to get with there current success and the move up to an AQ conference.
the real losers from this are the university of Texas especially after a poor season.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
How is it a disaster for college basketball?!

It doesn't make the mountain west worse and doesn't make the big east better or really even that much worse

Every conference has a team that can't hang in at least one of the money sports ......... the only thing I can see this hurting in the big east is some of the money from when programs like Syracuse buy a win to host a mid to low level program and then buys out the 2nd part

What Winn put out was more of a blurb, saying it would have zero residual benefits for basketball (which I can kind of agree with) and that they will be a blight on the Big East for basketball.

While I agree they won't be competative, I'm not sure they will be a blight ... they'll just be a bottom dweller and a reason for some teams to go to the DFW area every now and again - which may actually help expand recruiting effectiveness and their base, so maybe there could be a residual benefit

Old 11-30-2010, 07:53 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
TCU will be a little like USF in football .... near a good market and isolated
You mean TCU is IN a good market. The 4th largest.

Other than that, yeah . . . .

And to the other people who keep bringing up the whole "geography thing", for the millionth time their Mountain West opponent are just about as far as the Big East opponents. So it really makes no difference.... other than the fact that now the Frogs will have a better tv contract and playing in an earlier time zone where we can actually see the damn games.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Football is NOT basketball... Regional rivalries have always been the cornerstone of playing football. Like I said its ridiculous... to have conference games halfway across the country.

TCU & The Big East are slutting themselves out for a National Title.

And yet TCU's coach doesnt want a playoff because it will hurt the integrity of the game... what a joke.

TCU hasn't had a true regional rival (other than SMU.... and I really don't count Baylor) since the SWC broke up.

It's not easy to create rivalries when you're constantly moving from league to league. I'd count BYU and Utah if they were closer, but really, SMU is the only regional rival you can say TCU still has....

Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,605,929 times
Wouldn't doubt if they add UCF and drop the basketball only schools. How long do they keep diluting their B-ball money?

Good job TCU!!!!!! I see nothing but great things coming to your school from this move.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,605,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
TCU hasn't had a true regional rival (other than SMU.... and I really don't count Baylor) since the SWC broke up.

It's not easy to create rivalries when you're constantly moving from league to league. I'd count BYU and Utah if they were closer, but really, SMU is the only regional rival you can say TCU still has....
Why they didn't keep playing Tech every year is beyond me.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Why they didn't keep playing Tech every year is beyond me.
Tech backed out. But it's back on for at least the up coming year.

Also, they will play a few games with OU, Arky, and LSU in just a few years.

And on a side note, I see some Bosie State fans (NOT ALL, just a few) saying that they bolted for the B.E. because they were afraid of the Broncos..... as if they just can't schedule them every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football