U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,262 posts, read 19,336,325 times

Advertisements

... it could happen.

According to this report from ESPN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 05:30 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,785,335 times
Like I said in the Texas section, I think that's great! IMO, TCU should accept the invitation to the Big East if it's offered. I would love to have them in the Big 12, however, the Big 12 conference is very unstable right now. If TCU goes to the Big East, they would certainly dominate that conference in football.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,879,410 times
Would probably win their share in Baseball as well. TCU belongs in a major conference. Without a doubt.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:04 PM

5,119 posts, read 6,932,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Like I said in the Texas section, I think that's great! IMO, TCU should accept the invitation to the Big East if it's offered. I would love to have them in the Big 12, however, the Big 12 conference is very unstable right now. If TCU goes to the Big East, they would certainly dominate that conference in football.
TCU would be a good addition, but in no way shape or form will they "Dominate" the Big East!

The Big East is having a down year, but that doesn't mean TCU is going to have enough strength to run with a Big East team like Pitt or WVU as a yearly event!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,372,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
TCU would be a good addition, but in no way shape or form will they "Dominate" the Big East!

The Big East is having a down year, but that doesn't mean TCU is going to have enough strength to run with a Big East team like Pitt or WVU as a yearly event!
...teams in the non-BCS conferences are in for a rude awakening if they think they can run the table in a BCS conference. The level of play is SO much higher than they are used to...it's possible to lose to any team at any time rather then "dominating". The Big East has some quality programs, even if they aren't having a great year so far (Louisville, Pitt, UConn, Cincinnati, WVU, etc) - and everyone needs to remember that the season is far from over. Teams and conferences that are being hailed as the best could easily tumble, while teams and conferences that are being dubbed as having a down year could easily rise up...it's a long season.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:19 PM

22,351 posts, read 32,445,446 times
Would they be a Big East Basketball team as well?

Rumor is also that Villanova Football will move up to D1 (or whatever they call it these days) to join the Big East in football as well

Old 09-29-2010, 07:37 PM

4,154 posts, read 7,251,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Rumor is also that Villanova Football will move up to D1 (or whatever they call it these days) to join the Big East in football as well
TCU want accept a invitation unless it involves all sports.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 PM

22,351 posts, read 32,445,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
TCU want accept a invitation unless it involves all sports.

How is the TCU hoops squad? the Big East schedule is nasty and that would mean a ton of travel for hoops - they are even further than South Florida

Old 09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,262 posts, read 19,336,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

As far as I know, ALL sports will move. As one of the few TCU fans on this board, I really don't know how to feel about this. I mean, it would be good to go to an AQ conference, but at the same time you don't know what the future holds for any conference (see Big XII a.k.a. "Big X") and once again, the Frogs are goin' to a conference outside of the region. But at least it's the EASTERN time zone where we don't have to stay up until 11pm to see a game.

Oh, and to all these guys saying "TCU is in for a rude awakening", the Horned Frogs have a pretty good record against the "big boys" only losing 2 out of the what 12(?) BCS schools they've played this past decade?
They have also scheduled Texas Tech for next season, Oklahoma and Virginia for the 2012 season and have home/aways with LSU and Arkansas from 2013-2016, so I wouldn't say they're too scared.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:20 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,134,496 times
One thing that will be an issue is that the Big East as 8 football memebers and 16 members in all other sports. It will be hard for them to add any more schools due to this but there will be issues and a potential split into two conferences but maybe have some sort of affiliation with each other.

My guess is that they plan to add teams to ensure it can survive any raids from other conferences in the future. This also will ensure it being able to take any remaining Big XII teams that are around if that conference falls along with a few other schools who they may be talking to now.

I think at this point relaignment will return as a big issue at the end of the year.

The Big XII will not invite them due to footprint issues and a number of schools outside of Texas that recruit there will be opposed. They would invite BYU if they could find one more good fit which also would be who is invited if only one more leave and the conference still survives. TCU would be invited if two leave and one is a Texas team (most likely A&M).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football