U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-07-2010, 02:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,632,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Only because those Pac-10 teams(like USC) plays low ranked SEC teams.

Besides, I don't hear anyone talk about LSU beating Arizona State in 2005 and Washington University in 2009.

Plus Alabama to this day is 5-2 in Los Angeles against USC.
Not exactly. USC killed Arkansas in Fayetville the year they won the West and beat a ranked Auburn team a few years before (yes, they also beat an average Auburn team and a bad Arkansas team in other years). Oregon was hardly a good team in the years they beat Mississippi State and UCLA, of all teams, has walked through the SEC.

The point is that while the SEC is currently the best conference, an average SEC teams would hardly coast through another major conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-07-2010, 02:23 PM

844 posts, read 1,437,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
beat a ranked Auburn team a few years before
Are you also talking about the 2003 Auburn team that lost to USC?

USC fans are the ones discounting the 2004 Auburn team. Auburn had a different OC than in 2003. Al Borges really helped Jason Campbell's development out. If you look at his numbers in 2003 and 2004, you'd see he was a lot better QB in 2004.

I'm not taking anything away from USC's big win against Auburn but I also think that you're discounting the 2004 team.

Unread 12-07-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
beat a ranked Auburn team a few years before
Here's a fact:

Virginia Tech lead USC 10-7 at halftime in Kickoff Classic in 2004. In the Sugar Bowl, Virginia Tech never lead Auburn. How is it possible that Va. Tech lead the ESPN dubbed "greatest team of all-time" at halftime yet never lead Auburn?

Auburn-USC could have been one of the best game's of all-time but we'll never know because the BCS took out strength of schedule in 2004 which could have helped Auburn.

Unread 12-07-2010, 02:31 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,632,622 times
Quote:
Are you also talking about the 2003 Auburn team that lost to USC?

USC fans are the ones discounting the 2004 Auburn team. Auburn had a different OC than in 2003. Al Borges really helped Jason Campbell's development out. If you look at his numbers in 2003 and 2004, you'd see he was a lot better QB in 2004.

I'm not taking anything away from USC's big win against Auburn but I also think that you're discounting the 2004 team.
Yeah, I was talking about 2003. I agree that 04 Auburn was a great team and would've much rather seen them against USC than OU.

Unread 12-07-2010, 07:43 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,722,369 times
Quote:
Only because those Pac-10 teams(like USC) plays low ranked SEC teams.

Besides, I don't hear anyone talk about LSU beating Arizona State in 2005 and Washington University in 2009.

Plus Alabama to this day is 5-2 in Los Angeles against USC.
I've posted numerous times disputing the whole SEC superiority mumbo jumbo, so I will spare everyone the whole shebang. I will state just a few facts and this is in no way trying to begin yet another SEC vs. Pac-10/Everyone Else debate as we can all refer back to old posts.

Both the SEC top teams and the Pac-10 top teams never play each other. So, it goes both ways. The LSU game you are referring to is very clear in my mind as I was up late rooting for an ASU upset. LSU actually needed a last second Hail Maryish (40 yards) to beat ASU that year (JaMarcus Russell to Doucet w/ about 1 min left). Overall, ASU out-gained and frankly outplayed the Tigers and only lost because the defense, who had held Russell in check decided to play prevent the entire 4th quarter. The prior year, Oregon State missed an amazing 3 extra points to lose to LSU by 1 in Baton Rouge (in a deluge no doubt). So, if anything, I'd say the SEC teams have had more difficulties against the average Pac-10 teams.

However, one thing no one can dispute is the SEC's record in the NC. Pretty darn impressive the last few years. I will also agree that an Auburn-USC match-up would have been a much better game than OU.

I guess we will find out Jan. 10 who has the better top team this year. Auby will be a tough, tough match-up for Oregon. Also, next year Oregon and LSU play, so that shall be fun too.

Last edited by Acuda; 12-07-2010 at 07:51 PM..

Unread 12-07-2010, 08:46 PM

3,789 posts, read 2,779,458 times

****ing nOObs

Unread 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,012,604 times
Quote:
people are just sick of hearing SEC homers talk about how Vandy (feel free to insert any other sub .500 SEC team) would go undefeated in any other major conference.

Now I know you are lying because we NEVER mention Vandy...

And I mean NEVER!!!

Unread 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Overall, ASU out-gained and frankly outplayed the Tigers and only lost because the defense, who had held Russell in check decided to play prevent the entire 4th quarter.
I'm not trying to make it a SEC vs Pac-10 debate and all, but did you ever mention anything about LSU beating University Of Arizona in 2003(the same season LSU had won the NC Title)?

Also, no offense to Russell(former LSU QB), but he wasn't really that good of a QB.

As I remember when he was injured after the SEC Championship game against Georgia he was replaced by Matt Flynn before LSU played against Miami in the Peach Bowl in Georgia, which was against Miami(the same team that had broke Virginia Tech's undefeated season that year when Tech had Mick Vick at QB) that LSU beat 40-3.

Last edited by Blackandgold51; 12-08-2010 at 07:09 PM..

Unread 12-08-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

Now I know you are lying because we NEVER mention Vandy...

And I mean NEVER!!!

And we don't ever mention about Kentucky neither.

Unread 12-08-2010, 10:32 PM

3,815 posts, read 3,212,398 times
Quote:
Yeah, I was talking about 2003. I agree that 04 Auburn was a great team and would've much rather seen them against USC than OU.
Nope. USC would have beat a few NFL teams that year. Wouldn't have mattered who played them....whether Auburn, OU, or any other team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football