U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 AM

14 posts, read 8,101 times

Advertisements

Does anyone think college football regular season would be generating as much media interest if there was a playoff?

I doubt it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 11:54 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,455,895 times
I agree.

If we had playoffs in football, we would see people shrugging off regular season losses by proclaiming-------" they'll peak at the end "

Old 10-25-2010, 12:10 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I agree.

If we had playoffs in football, we would see people shrugging off regular season losses by proclaiming-------" they'll peak at the end "
Agreed. OU/Mizzou would've been a meaningless game under a playoff system. If we had a 16 team playoff USCe/Bama, Texas/NU, Boise/VaTech, and Arizona/Iowa would all have been meaningless. If people want a playoff so bad I hear the WNBA is looking for viewers.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:25 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,434,071 times
...or FCS has a playoff. I like the BCS. To me it is what makes FBS unique. I love College Basketball as well...but I honestly can't say the regular season is that great. Now MMadness gets my blood flowing.

FBS playoff can't go against the NFL Playoffs. Plus...nobody in the power conferences wants them.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:35 PM

674 posts, read 1,255,218 times
I love aspects of it that preserve the integrity of the regular season, but it needs tweaking.

Adding a Plus-One would help DRAMATICALLY.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:47 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,745,248 times
Agreed. Playoffs would ruin the regular season. I only start tuning into college basketball at the end of the season and before March Madness.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
Funny. Why do I suspect that all you who support this are fans of schools in BCS conferences?

To me, it's b.s. to say that the regular season would be pointless or reduced in significance in any way. I mean think about it....

There are like 120 FBS schools. And at max, we'd have a 16 team playoff. Unlike college basketball, you wouldn't have a million teams in there. And unlike the NBA and NHL, there wouldn't be more than half the the schools in it. So how would it deminish the season? You would still have to win every game in the season for a spot or at least a good position. As many schools as there are in this division and number of games that they each play, I'd say it's a little hard to say who's truly #1. Auburn is #1 right now. They're undefeated..... and there are 4 other undefeated schools also. Let's say they all run the table. Only one of them will be #1? Will they all play each other?.... NO. So how is that a justified way to show who's the REAL best school in the country? Who's to say that Missouri isn't #1 or that Michigan State is the overall best or that Bosie State and TCU couldn't be?

Personally, I think BCS supporters just nitpick things to go against a playoff because it's basically a system to keep smaller, less known schools out. You know this is unfair and not a justified way to show who diserves to play in the title game, but it works out for certain schools, so why change?
If you have to pick teams to play in a championship, then it's not legitimate.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:54 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,434,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Agreed. Playoffs would ruin the regular season. I only start tuning into college basketball at the end of the season and before March Madness.

Exactly. I LOVE College Hoops...but I just don't turn a game on until after my team has been eliminated from the playoffs (NFL) and college football is done.

March Madness is amazing...but it has come at the price of dulling early conference and non conference play,in hoops.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:16 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,099,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

Personally, I think BCS supporters just nitpick things to go against a playoff because it's basically a system to keep smaller, less known schools out. You know this is unfair and not a justified way to show who diserves to play in the title game, but it works out for certain schools, so why change?
If you have to pick teams to play in a championship, then it's not legitimate.
When the Western Kentucky's and Ball States of the world rise up and seize the power, this will be a legit argument.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 10-25-2010 at 01:29 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 01:35 PM

8,548 posts, read 8,877,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anvrdq View Post
Does anyone think college football regular season would be generating as much media interest if there was a playoff?

I doubt it !

Yes, it would be a far better world.

Its a farce that it would diminish the regular season. JJG is right on. You would still have teams scrapping it out to make a 16 team playoff, and fighting for seeding and perhaps first round home games. It does not dull down the regular season in any way. It would if there were 64 teams involved, but with 12 or 16 that would not happen. All the rest of the teams would still go to bowl games, they just wouldnt be part of the playoff. Its so clear, I dont even see point of those opposed to a playoff.

The BCS is too much about the title game only, it diminishes every other post season game, and relies on voting for champions. Until there is a playoff, it will always be a "Mythical National Championship"

bcs sux
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football