U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:43 AM

19,433 posts, read 17,531,054 times

Advertisements

Way too many Bowls. But they make money so what can you do.
The latest they announced was the Rhutabaga Bowl somewhere in Illinois. Hooterville, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 05:33 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,288,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I think we need one more bowl game. It would match up the two weakest teams in NCAA Division 1 and be called the Toilet Bowl.
How about a matchup for the two best sub .500 teams called the Cockroach Bowl? Of the 35 bowls, only 5 or 6 arouse much interest from this fan. As earlier posts mentioned, the playoff games in the smaller schools divisions were much better entertainment.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:53 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,795,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I agree with the OP, I don't understand even the call for a 6 or 8 team PO when nobody can decide on the top 6 teams. There's clearly the time to have even a 24 team playoff with 70 teams playing in bowl games already.

Seriously, you mean to tell me you wouldn't want to watch the top 24 teams in a playoff but would rather watch 70 mostly mediocre teams?

Nope.

I'll take all the football I can get, since I am not a huge NFL buff. A 24 team playoff is too much, much like the bowl argument you make. Give me eight teams and tie them into the big bowls and leave it at that.

I'm sure a team like Bama, which was 6-6 and playing 6-6 Colorado in an Independence Bowl (my self-proclaimed "Toilet Bowl" that particular season, it's BYU-UTEP this season) a few years back didn't mind the extra practice afforded by being in a bowl--they only won a NC a couple years later.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:34 AM

13,227 posts, read 17,991,900 times
I like bowl games, even the crappy ones. If football is on TV, I'm watching.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:09 AM

2,704 posts, read 4,680,645 times
It's all a matter of perspective depending on who your team is, I guess. Look at this year's Holiday Bowl- it's a terrible match-up (rematch from a regular season game these two teams played, in fact) between a 10-3 Nebraska team and a 6-6 Washington team. For Washington this is a very highly anticipated game because they haven't been to a bowl game since 2002- to finally win 6 games and get to the post season is awesome for them. However for my Nebraska team, they could care less about this bowl- they are let down they didn't get to play a better opponent- one that they did not already blow out once earlier in the season.
So I'm torn- I guess it's best to keep it the way it is, as there are plenty of people who love to see their team play even if they do just barely make it into a lower level bowl.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 AM

20,924 posts, read 39,244,738 times
I see two factors behind the OP's gripes:

- An insatiable demand for live sports, especially football, as opposed to the general garbage on the wasteland of scripted TV offerings. Hell, live sports are the only true "reality TV" that you can find, except for maybe the news, which is often doctored.

- An almost endless avalanche of advertising money that beer, car, and truck makers have to spread around, and the networks are more than happy to sop up that booty. I'd love to know how much money the automakers spend on advertising per year and then divide that by the number of new cars/trucks sold per year. I Googled and found it's $11.4B/year, not to mention that the average dealership spends another $10k to $50k /year, and when you add the two together it has to come to an easy $13B a year. With the industry selling 13M vehicles/year, that mean at least $1,000.00 of the price of your car/truck is the price of all the ads. I don't about you guys, but I've never bought any vehicle based on advertising, they're wasting their money on me. Oh well. We channel surf around almost all commercials.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-24-2010 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,724,264 times
I wouldnt go as far as saying mediocrity is rewarded, but its more like rewarding student athletes for a seasons of hard work.

Give em one last final drive, before 70% of them hang up their cleats. I love bowls, they give match ups that might never happen during the regular season.

It also keeps college football alive for and extra 2-3 weeks which we all love right?

Old 12-25-2010, 11:13 AM

2,373 posts, read 3,063,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Nope.

I'll take all the football I can get, since I am not a huge NFL buff. A 24 team playoff is too much, much like the bowl argument you make. Give me eight teams and tie them into the big bowls and leave it at that.

I'm sure a team like Bama, which was 6-6 and playing 6-6 Colorado in an Independence Bowl (my self-proclaimed "Toilet Bowl" that particular season, it's BYU-UTEP this season) a few years back didn't mind the extra practice afforded by being in a bowl--they only won a NC a couple years later.
I guess I don't understand, on one hand you say you'll take all the football you can get but think 24 team PO is too much but there are 35 bowl games every year now?

8 teams would be nice but my point is there's no way we could even all agree which are the 8 top teams in the nation, with 24 teams you would miss that debate and still have fewer games than now. (first round 12games, next 6 games etc.) Plus it'd be like every other division of college football, every other college sport and every pro sport.

I'd rather see the cream of the crop and decide it on the field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football