Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 05:13 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,494,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I am on the side of paying student athletes. These kids are cash cows for the schools, the networks, the advertisers, and the NCAA. Granted, I would have loved to have been a full scholarship in college for my athletic ability but it's a full time job for these kids. Give them a stipend for $1,000-$2,000 per semester in addition to room and board, books, and tuition - they're certainly making millions for everyone else.
Between Division 1 and 1-AA there are 238 schools that have football teams. Only 16 of them make a profiit. Can't remember the exact number for men's basketball but I think 20 out of 300 turn a profit. Only women's sports that make a profit are UCONN and Tenn in basketball, Utah in gymnastics and Penn State in volleyball. 4 or 5 baseball teams make money. All of that money gets kicked into non-revenue sports.

If the schools paid it's athletes cash they would quickly eliminate athletics.

Even if they were able to pay them we would still have problems. Let's say they get a $1000 semester allowance. Boosters and agents are paying more than that right now. Is 1000 enough? In a year or so they will want 1500, then 2000 and so on.

Look at the Big Ten. Those schools will pull in about 32 million combined for bowl games this year. Those exact same schools will be awarded 6 BILLION in research grants this year.

The graduate students and research professors do far far more than any athlete or coach as far as economic support. It aint even close. The grad student doing research doesn't get paid. 32 million compared to 6 billion. The grad student should be the one getting rich, not the athlete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:27 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,114,572 times
What OSU's first 5 against in 2011??

Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 AM

77,870 posts, read 60,016,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
To sell your B10 championship ring tells me he is a selfish pig anyway.

Let him go, he thinks he is a great QB and never panned out to begin with.

In fact let all of those players go.

Anyone who could sell a team earned ring for cash does not need to be in an Ohio State uniform.

It is not what Ohio State football is all about and they need to clean out their lockers.

Sad, but the facts are they should have known better.

Out of all of those things it was the ring that Pryor sold that bothered me the most.

They are playing in the bowl game because it did not effect the game they have coming up and there was no advantage by any player over the bowl game opponent.

Selfish move and I do not care if we see them in an OSU uniform again.

Maybe they should transfer to Miami U where players are expected to do things like this.
Oh please. It's a big time football program. If you don't think this is just the tip of the iceberg I have a bridge I want to sell you.

Every major program has shennanigans going on and occasionally they get caught.

*cough* Santonio Jones anyone?

Seriously, the school uses them to make big money....why have any loyalty when it's 2 years or so there and then off to the pros?

Non-performing players disappear quietly.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football